Thread: Winchester 70 Extreme Weather - Thoughts

Default Winchester 70 Extreme Weather - Thoughts

New to the sight and I must say WOW! Very impressed in what I have seen so far.

I have long been a Classic Winchester guy but recently picked up a new Model 70 Extreme Weather in 30.06. I am so impressed with this rifle that to my mind this may be one of the best factory rifles I have ever held.

The Bell and Carlson stock has a gunny feel that you normally only find on custom guns and the lines and fit are first class. My trigger broke clean at 3 pounds and the 22" stainless fluted barrel not only balances well but is tapered to a clean look. The action glides smoother than any classic I have shouldered and reminds me of a pre war action.

I topped this rifle with a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 in LW talley mounts. Combined its a touch under 8 pounds. Just about perfect for a 30/06 class rifle.

Furthermore, with this rifle/ cartridge combo, I can load 165 grain noslers for deer/elk/sheep...180 grain noslers for moose, elk, plains game, and by chance if I ever hunt Brown Bear or Say an Eland....220 grain Nosler Partiton at 2400 should do the trick - plus with 5+1 capability thats 1320 grains of bullet to cover my butt. Plus the Extreme Weather finish should stand up to the elements pretty well.

I just don't see myself hunting with any other rifle for a long time to come!!!

Dang! I like your style! I wasn't gonna show this because I've bought more than my fair share of guns lately and I don't want to sound like I'm gloating. I don't golf, bowl, drink beer, drive a new truck. I spend all my money on guns and the sort...does that make it OK?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=209158860

It is suppose to be here tomorrow and I canceled plans for the weekend so I can play with it!

I bought one last winter and it is my go to rifle. Killed a truck load of animals with it this year, even stuck the barrel in the ground sliding off a slope on Kodiak. Has held up well hunted with it on the salt and in the mountains. One of the best buys out there right now. Check out this thread I wrote up on mine. Enjoy your new rifle.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...WSM?highlight=

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

U guys are going to get me in trouble, esp U EKC cause I've been looking for a reason to buy a 308! Grrrr

WelcomeWinchestershooter! I think its a unanimous ( unspoken ) decision on this site that we don't buy 3006's cause we all know then we wouldn't have a reason to buy other calibers all around it!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    U guys are going to get me in trouble, esp U EKC cause I've been looking for a reason to buy a 308! Grrrr

WelcomeWinchestershooter! I think its a unanimous ( unspoken ) decision on this site that we don't buy 3006's cause we all know then we wouldn't have a reason to buy other calibers all around it!
    Smokey, I really recommend Cove Creek Outfitters! They beat everybody else on the gunauction websites by $100+ on both the 243 and the 308. Super folk to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I bought one last winter and it is my go to rifle. Killed a truck load of animals with it this year, even stuck the barrel in the ground sliding off a slope on Kodiak. Has held up well hunted with it on the salt and in the mountains. One of the best buys out there right now. Check out this thread I wrote up on mine. Enjoy your new rifle.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...WSM?highlight=

Steve
    Stid, I must have been asleep when you started this thread on your .325 WSM. It was a real good read.

Congrats on a very, very good year!

I really love to see a project like your 325 unfold before our eyes and then see the fruits of your labor. Thats is, after all, what it's all about!

Thanks for bringing that thread back to the forefront!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Smokey, I really recommend Cove Creek Outfitters! They beat everybody else on the gunauction websites by $100+ on both the 243 and the 308. Super folk to deal with.
    Thx! You got that $80.00 under wholesale - very good deal!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I was able to get mine at Cabelas for 769.00...found it on the used rack, but the sales guys told me it was new but they ordered too many and had to sell them at a lower cost.

I then had enough cabelas cc points to cover the cost for the VX-II 2-7 and rings/bases....

...I think I did OK

Yep, U did just fine! I have several 2 x 7 x 33 Vari II's - great scope!

I have been looking at that same rifle for my daughter this year - glad to hear you like it.

I picked one up last summer in 300WM. I love the fit and finish, acuracy, and feel. Its my new 3rd favorite rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I think its a unanimous ( unspoken ) decision on this site that we don't buy 3006's cause we all know then we wouldn't have a reason to buy other calibers all around it!
    That's me there, won't touch those 06's. Too Darn Complete....

Nice Buy there, Winch,
    Hope it Fills your freezers and Thrills Ya at the Range for yrs to come

PS Welcome to the Forums,
    Post away on the Handloading Forum as you develop loads for this, I'm just starting to load for my Father in Laws 30-06, mostly gonna go 180 gr stuff, maybe a 200gr, and some 168's,
    Really Interested in "All Those Options" as it sounds you are
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Winchestershooter View Post
    I was able to get mine at Cabelas for 769.00...found it on the used rack, but the sales guys told me it was new but they ordered too many and had to sell them at a lower cost.

I then had enough cabelas cc points to cover the cost for the VX-II 2-7 and rings/bases....

...I think I did OK
    You guys down in the lower 48 suck! Wondering if you got a good deal on a new model 70 for $769.00 at Cabela's and used your points for a "free" scope on an Alaskan forum. I have to pay $900 for a model 70 and that's on sale and I can't even apply that to Cabela's points. I'd say H%LL yeah you got a good deal. Now hurry up and send me my new rifle! Freakin Cabela's gun sales...........
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb