Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Winchester 70 Extreme Weather - Thoughts

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    25

    Default Winchester 70 Extreme Weather - Thoughts

    New to the sight and I must say WOW! Very impressed in what I have seen so far.

    I have long been a Classic Winchester guy but recently picked up a new Model 70 Extreme Weather in 30.06. I am so impressed with this rifle that to my mind this may be one of the best factory rifles I have ever held.

    The Bell and Carlson stock has a gunny feel that you normally only find on custom guns and the lines and fit are first class. My trigger broke clean at 3 pounds and the 22" stainless fluted barrel not only balances well but is tapered to a clean look. The action glides smoother than any classic I have shouldered and reminds me of a pre war action.

    I topped this rifle with a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 in LW talley mounts. Combined its a touch under 8 pounds. Just about perfect for a 30/06 class rifle.

    Furthermore, with this rifle/ cartridge combo, I can load 165 grain noslers for deer/elk/sheep...180 grain noslers for moose, elk, plains game, and by chance if I ever hunt Brown Bear or Say an Eland....220 grain Nosler Partiton at 2400 should do the trick - plus with 5+1 capability thats 1320 grains of bullet to cover my butt. Plus the Extreme Weather finish should stand up to the elements pretty well.

    I just don't see myself hunting with any other rifle for a long time to come!!!

  2. #2

    Default

    Dang! I like your style! I wasn't gonna show this because I've bought more than my fair share of guns lately and I don't want to sound like I'm gloating. I don't golf, bowl, drink beer, drive a new truck. I spend all my money on guns and the sort...does that make it OK?

    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=209158860

    It is suppose to be here tomorrow and I canceled plans for the weekend so I can play with it!

  3. #3
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    I bought one last winter and it is my go to rifle. Killed a truck load of animals with it this year, even stuck the barrel in the ground sliding off a slope on Kodiak. Has held up well hunted with it on the salt and in the mountains. One of the best buys out there right now. Check out this thread I wrote up on mine. Enjoy your new rifle.

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...WSM?highlight=

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  4. #4
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    U guys are going to get me in trouble, esp U EKC cause I've been looking for a reason to buy a 308! Grrrr

    WelcomeWinchestershooter! I think its a unanimous ( unspoken ) decision on this site that we don't buy 3006's cause we all know then we wouldn't have a reason to buy other calibers all around it!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    U guys are going to get me in trouble, esp U EKC cause I've been looking for a reason to buy a 308! Grrrr

    WelcomeWinchestershooter! I think its a unanimous ( unspoken ) decision on this site that we don't buy 3006's cause we all know then we wouldn't have a reason to buy other calibers all around it!
    Smokey, I really recommend Cove Creek Outfitters! They beat everybody else on the gunauction websites by $100+ on both the 243 and the 308. Super folk to deal with.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I bought one last winter and it is my go to rifle. Killed a truck load of animals with it this year, even stuck the barrel in the ground sliding off a slope on Kodiak. Has held up well hunted with it on the salt and in the mountains. One of the best buys out there right now. Check out this thread I wrote up on mine. Enjoy your new rifle.

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...WSM?highlight=

    Steve
    Stid, I must have been asleep when you started this thread on your .325 WSM. It was a real good read.

    Congrats on a very, very good year!

    I really love to see a project like your 325 unfold before our eyes and then see the fruits of your labor. Thats is, after all, what it's all about!

    Thanks for bringing that thread back to the forefront!

  7. #7
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Smokey, I really recommend Cove Creek Outfitters! They beat everybody else on the gunauction websites by $100+ on both the 243 and the 308. Super folk to deal with.
    Thx! You got that $80.00 under wholesale - very good deal!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I was able to get mine at Cabelas for 769.00...found it on the used rack, but the sales guys told me it was new but they ordered too many and had to sell them at a lower cost.

    I then had enough cabelas cc points to cover the cost for the VX-II 2-7 and rings/bases....

    ...I think I did OK

  9. #9
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Yep, U did just fine! I have several 2 x 7 x 33 Vari II's - great scope!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    973

    Default

    I have been looking at that same rifle for my daughter this year - glad to hear you like it.

  11. #11
    Member 2dawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    642

    Default

    I picked one up last summer in 300WM. I love the fit and finish, acuracy, and feel. Its my new 3rd favorite rifle.

  12. #12
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I think its a unanimous ( unspoken ) decision on this site that we don't buy 3006's cause we all know then we wouldn't have a reason to buy other calibers all around it!
    That's me there, won't touch those 06's. Too Darn Complete....

    Nice Buy there, Winch,
    Hope it Fills your freezers and Thrills Ya at the Range for yrs to come

    PS Welcome to the Forums,
    Post away on the Handloading Forum as you develop loads for this, I'm just starting to load for my Father in Laws 30-06, mostly gonna go 180 gr stuff, maybe a 200gr, and some 168's,
    Really Interested in "All Those Options" as it sounds you are
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchestershooter View Post
    I was able to get mine at Cabelas for 769.00...found it on the used rack, but the sales guys told me it was new but they ordered too many and had to sell them at a lower cost.

    I then had enough cabelas cc points to cover the cost for the VX-II 2-7 and rings/bases....

    ...I think I did OK
    You guys down in the lower 48 suck! Wondering if you got a good deal on a new model 70 for $769.00 at Cabela's and used your points for a "free" scope on an Alaskan forum. I have to pay $900 for a model 70 and that's on sale and I can't even apply that to Cabela's points. I'd say H%LL yeah you got a good deal. Now hurry up and send me my new rifle! Freakin Cabela's gun sales...........
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

    Chinese proverb

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •