Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the truth about going after wounded bears.

Default Whats the truth about going after wounded bears.

Joe Want made a comment about what is called a "Texas Heart Shot" in thick cover on a wounded bear. This triggered the idea for a thread on what it is "REALLY" like to go in and finish wounded bears in thick cover. So it is mid-winter, people need something to read. What are the factors (Clue: there are many) in going into thick cover to finish a wounded bear.......?

What's it really like....? What are the many mega-second flash decisions that you are eveluating.....? There is a constant feed of data, the wind velocity & direction, what are the birds doing, smells, sounds (lots of sounds/or silence), movement, leaves moving, blood (What color, foamy or deep red). There is a constant stream of data. let's talk about that.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Joe Want made a comment about what is called a "Texas Heart Shot" in thick cover on a wounded bear. This triggered the idea for a thread on what it is "REALLY" like to go in and finish wounded bears in thick cover. So it is mid-winter, people need something to read. What are the factors (Clue: there are many) in going into thick cover to finish a wounded bear.......?

What's it really like....? What are the many mega-second flash decisions that you are eveluating.....? There is a constant feed of data, the wind velocity & direction, what are the birds doing, smells, sounds (lots of sounds/or silence), movement, leaves moving, blood (What color, foamy or deep red). There is a constant stream of data. let's talk about that.
    This thread has the potential of becoming one of the most informative threads ever started! Certainly a lot of opinions have been given about how individuals would respond to a situation where a bear was wounded. It will be interesting to read how others have dealt with these animals.

Thanks
    Joe

Great thread topic! Can't wait to read what some experienced guys say.

Although I haven't had the chance to hunt brown/grizz I recently watched a video of a friends hunt on Kodiak. In this hunt a very large boar was shot twice but still ran off into a nearby and fairly large(150yd x 250yd),thicket of Kodiak nasties.
    Their game plan was to wait, glass, circle, glass, wait, wait, wait. Feeling comfortable with the shots they knew giving this bear time was the safest bet. Several hours later they followed the blood trail in to the trophy.

So when I get my chance to hunt the big brown beast having knowledge of bullet placement and being PATIENT will be a couple of my deciding factors.

-Akiceman25

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

when you say wounded bears are you inferring Griz/Brown only? or all bears including the little cuddly black ones?

I honestly believe that there is a certain awareness difference between the two species, but many similar characteristics between the two when they KNOW they are hunted.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Great thread topic! Can't wait to read what some experienced guys say.

Although I haven't had the chance to hunt brown/grizz I recently watched a video of a friends hunt on Kodiak. In this hunt a very large boar was shot twice but still ran off into a nearby and fairly large(150yd x 250yd),thicket of Kodiak nasties.
    Their game plan was to wait, glass, circle, glass, wait, wait, wait. Feeling comfortable with the shots they knew giving this bear time was the safest bet. Several hours later they followed the blood trail in to the trophy.

So when I get my chance to hunt the big brown beast having knowledge of bullet placement and being PATIENT will be a couple of my deciding factors.

-Akiceman25
    "...Great thread topic! Can't wait to read what some experienced guys say..."
    Me either - though suspect it might be a pretty short thread.
    Did they get the bear?
    Joe

I have NOT been in on a wounded grizz/brown, but have went in brush after big blacks. Never a fun thing. I did shoot a grizz that ended up on a full charge this fall. While it didn't really register when it happened, thinking back on it, it sure could have been quite hairy as it had a head full of steam heading straight for me and I only had one bullet let in the rifle. A shot to top of the head ended it, but it sure would have been not good for me had that shot not counted.

A propper Texas heart shot woks very well and should hit ony soft tissue and take out the wind pipe on exit. I believe if a bear is hit poor at the start it mostly goes stright away from the hunter and keeps going untill to weak to travel or heals.Hard hit bear I've known go out some and then circle for ambush or hide.Bears hit with a bow often take off like a poor rifle shot hit but end up doing what a good rifle hit bear does.Little steaming piles of crap give some idea of how the bear is feeling. If shot on the left side look for ambush mostly on the left and on the right side to the right.Wounded bears don't bluff charge much.Never say always
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Several hours later they followed the blood trail in to the trophy.

-Akiceman25

Wantj43......Yep!

Wantj43......Yep!
    Should have more closely read your original post. Thanks.
    Joe

I have taken and also been on several "kills" in Cold Bay since the mid 80's but the only one that "got away" from me was the first bear I killed. I hit him thru the lungs first shot with my .416, second shot took out a shoulder, third shot was a miss right before he dissappeared into a alder hill side. I hiked back to the truck, gave it over night, and then gathered up the courage to go in for him. When I first walked up to the thick alders, I must have stood there for at least 30 minutes with my ears just pegged trying listen for any noises and also at the same time talking myself into going in. When I felt the time was right I checked my rifle, checked the .44 on my belt and stepped forward. I split the alders and took 2 steps when a flock of ptarmigan about knocked me down. I ran out onto the tundra screaming like a 10 year old girl! Took me several minutes to calm my nerves enough for another try. I again split the alders and entered and followed the blood trail to a very dead bear about 20 yards in. He was tangled in the jungle of alders, just feet from what looked like a bed. Not a den but just a large dirt bed sunk down about a foot. It was actually a joy skinning him in that thick stuff out of the wind and several passing rain storms..

Thank you, Steve.

Among other things that you'all care to post on this subject.........I want to know about what your mouth tasted like, enhanced hearing, vision, the awareness of the breeze on your face, was your firearm slippery, I want to in addition to the details, I want to know what sensations you were experiencing.

Alot of whats happening depends on teh fella shooting.
    A first timer might need a guide to hold his hand, shoot it again, and wipe his butt when done.

Then , theres guys who have experiance, and then the Hype, fear, and the deep stinky stuff is left behind and getting down to business is whats happening.

For myself 16 Brown Bears and way more Blacks, none have escaped alive.

In that ammount , none were wounded beyond dying a minute later, from a well placed shot.

I have 'been there many times" as my son, wife, friends have shot Browns as well, and neither did any get away, were wounded beyond a Mortal shot or EVER had someone else put in a bullet.
    Then again, I'm no control freek that has ever felt a 'Need" to either shoot a Bear someone elses has shot, or felt compelled to keep pumping bullets into obviously dying creatures.

One point Im gonna make clear ; If I have placed a Mortal shot, and I know what they are when I make 'em, I let the animal die. Bleed out is nearly my favorite, as the meat has a good quality after such, and I eat Bears, or I dont shoot 'em at all...........If I feel theres need for a second shot, it happens faster than I think about.I know it when I have placed the first shot, and how that went ....
    I have little regard about an animals "suffering" when shot, as they are ALL wounded from the time their hit till the the Death Rattle, cause compared to being eaten alive, as they are in Nature, getting shot is pretty freekin' quick. When an animal is dying, I let it die, as long as its not going places.

When Im first onna Bear, the senses are keen and focused, like when Im sighted on any animal, the gun is in tune, and Im at the advantage, 'cause I'm the one doing the hunting...........but the "excitment' was gone long ago, its a meat making job now......

I know that thers alotta "Hype" that people selling hunts or trying to make their hunt a more worthy? Dangerous? more of an accomplishment? when its actually no different than any other hunt out there. Take away the fear factor, and you are back to Hunting again........ calm, cool, collected.

Were the Humans with the rifle.

I live and hunt with guys who have hunted and killed scores of Polar Bears, Brown Bears, Black Bears, and the first thing they will tell you is to NEVER Fear a Bear. Second is to never boast or brag about any Bear, ever.
    Its a matter of Respect, so the fear is out the door and theres meat to be made. If your afraid, you shouldnt be hunting them.

Be alert, move slow, listen and follow the trail, be it ****, blood, foot tracks or a path blasted through. You will hear that Bear in there,they snort, cough, pant, break brush if hes stuck in brush, or you will hear him running away through it all.

Theres a long history here in NW Ak of when, how and where to hunt all kinds of Bears, and untill the 1920's, it was done with Spears, Bows and snares. The Hype isnt in the local lore, Respect is..........the animals are delt with in very practical manner, and since Ive followed the "local way", I have never had a bad experiance with any Bear.

My Fatherin law hunted Polar Bears for fun and profit whiletrapping Arctic Fox in the Beufort Sea, back the 20's. He used a 25-35 and placed his shots in the temple. Caught 11 one good year, half as many most years, and while he was sometimes in the darkness of winter, when he would track them out on the ice.
    Koksiinak had no fear, but a very deep respect for them and what the can do.
    The "hype" created about how "Big and Bad" Brown Bears are, 'how hard they are to kill'(30-06 bouncing off skulls ~LOL!~), how dangerous they are wounded(as any animal is) is simlpy because its a selling point nowdays , in my opinion, that turns into bragging for the guy who shot 'em..... Indeed, they are dangerous, all wounded animals are, but more people are killed each year in plane crashes while flying out to hunt.
    As Ive come to find here with guides posting, it is used as an excuse for guys to shoot other guy's animal.

You would think these internet experts would have noticed these things, and prehaps shared with others, but why truth your way outa a job?

A good question is "how many Hunters or their 'Guide' have been killed chasing wounded Bears into brush?

Find 'em, Shoot 'em, Eat 'em
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The "tunnel" is getting longer and the "light" dimmer!
    Joe

Great post stranger!

Great response Stranger. I read the first of the Alaska Bear Tales books before coming up here in the early 80's and I wasn't sure I wanted to step foot in the woods after that reading. Truth is I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours in the great outdoors, had dozens of bear encounters black and brown, have a few hanging on the walls. Do bear maulings occur, sure do and I'm sure they all suck. But so do shark attacks and as much as I don't want to experience either of them I'm going to swim in the ocean every chance I get to go to Hawaii and I'm going to walk in the woods of this great state too.
    If anyone's worried about dying a horrible death stay in bed. Or dont go hunting in the first place.

Stranger, you make complete sense. For those of us who've never hunted in AK, though, the idea of going after big bears in the alders takes on mystic qualities, and just thinking about it makes one's hair stand up. I have been wanting to do it ever since I started passing through in the days when one couldn't fly to Japan without a stop in Anchorage. I saw the mounts in the airport that blew me away, they were so big.

Later, in the '80s, I actually did some work with the old Wien Air Alaska, which we bought. Wien owned 3 or 4 fish camps in Katmai and I was so sure that I had a hunt pending that I had an LH .375 H&H made up for it, shopped the good old Eddie Bauer store in Seattle when they still stocked fabulous shooting stuff, and wore out a book on Hal Waugh. Never happened, as I got distracted by work and family.

I did get in a hunt in Africa with the .375. Frankly, the game we hunted was plenty dangerous (buff, leopard, lion) and I am certainly not an excellent shooter, but I found that the anticipation was so great that I never thought about being scared. Nor did I notice the recoil. I was surprised. And we did go in some pretty heavy bush in some cases. Of course, it helped having a great PH like John Knowles at your side. <g>

Norm

Think the country side makes a difference also,clear or tangle

In this stuff how far would you let the bear go before putting in a second shot.Pretty much all the Alaska hunting I've done is in this stuff
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Think the country side makes a difference also,clear or tangle

In this stuff how far would you let the bear go before putting in a second shot.Pretty much all the Alaska hunting I've done is in this stuff
    Half a step.

In your country, as in mine, Amigo, (which is wide open tundras,with stands of Alder and forrests of Spruce,) being able to reload and resight without thinking is a skill and asset most all Hunters should sharpen. Not a thought to it, just natural like.

Your neck of the woods would probly have me pull out my M-1 Garand.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Stranger I have always liked reading your posts and gained from your knowledge. I have the greatest respect for you and your respect for the game. You are one of few. Thanks
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast