Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Spring Bear pack list

Default Kodiak Spring Bear pack list

Well, things are starting to fall in place. I think after all my research I have at least a good idea of logistics. 15 weeks now to hit the emerald island, just can't wait.

Pack list is coming together, new gear purchased includes a couple cots, cabelas xpg 6 man. Wanted one for awhile so picked up a wiggy's bag and some extra intel while I was at it, thanks mark. Going with the rest of the tried and true gear. Working on a new paint job for the 375 ruger and working out loads for the back up gun

Reason for posting is some have mentioned packing lists for Kodiak. Would sure like to compare notes. Just want to know I'm not missing critical or specialized items for Kodiak. Searched but could not locate the posts. My partner, my father, is coming up from CO for the hunt so making sure I've covered everything means a lot to me.

My second question is camp, is a bear fence needed? Never used one but see them in some hunt write-ups. What are you doing for a cooking space? Our typical moose hunting "cooking shack" is a lean to tarp typically in the trees maybe 30-50 yards from sleeping quarters. I'm just worried about the wind and rain I've yet to experience on Kodiak. I don't think my green tarp is up to the task. Would like to know what others have done

Other than that it's back to gym, we are not toting a boat, plan to head high and spot spot. Any tips and packing suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Sunglasses, sunscreen and the best optics you can afford! These are the main ones I remember when I hunted springs bears down there.

As far as a cooking tarp area.....what part of the island are you hunting? Its usually not too hard to rig something up for cooking and such if you have some alders. You can set up a little spot right inside an alder patch and be pretty protected.
    Now if your on the southern end where it is much more open you'll have to do with a drift wood hobo set up (if you have drift wood!)

April or May?

Snowshoes. My last spring hunt I had to go without mine and I really really regretted it.

Will be late April/May. I'm up in the Northern part, so shoud be able to find some alders? I'll go ahead with my usual setup. And add the above items to the pile. I'm planning on taking a backup three man too, it could serve as a cook tent too if need be.

Thanks

Bear fence - probably allows me to get into a deeper sleep. Also makes cooking inside of the tent (when required) and food storage managable. Whether its "needed" or not is questionable.

I went in late April and early May also. Still needed the snowshoes badly as the bears were mostly up high.

With or without a bear fense I would never cook or store food in a tent Im sleeping in while in bear country as a general rule.
    I think snow shoes are a must for a spring hunt in Kodiak. Casper how did it go without them?
    You will be up high catching them coming out of their den and hanging around awhile as their pads toughen up and as their metabolism kicks in from the long sleep. If you hunt during the end of the season they will be lower. I connected with a 9 footer at sealevel the first week in May.
    My one other recommedation is ice crampons. I hunted for one bear over a week period as he hung out by his den and the weather went from snow, snow/rain, sun, and back and I stalked with boots/snowshoes/crampons. I wouldnt have been able to get any where close without the extra foot gear. And no I didnt get him
    Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1979 View Post
    With or without a bear fense I would never cook or store food in a tent Im sleeping in while in bear country as a general rule.
    As a general rule, neither do I. BUT, I have been in situations (pennsula & Kodiak) where it was cook in the tent or go hungry. I cooked in the tent.
    Maybe you've just hunted in "fair weather".

I would take the fence we had bears within a few yards from our tent on my last trip to Kodiak, we could see them in camp from up high. Also take and wear some safety glasses, had a good friend and his partner that sustained serious eye wounds last spring from sticks to the eye.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Man Steve you have a great picture for every situation. I need to take more pictures.

Olin

I agree, Steve can illustrate a point with some nice photos! I'm interested in the bear fence. What are my options. Any place to rent one? Commercial units are not too bad in price. Then there is piecing one together. I would either rent or piece together. Raised on a farm, know something about them. I'll do some research, seems like once you get your power source figured out its just how to set wires. We had all ours in dishwashers and insulated boxes to help batteries out. I'll do some searching online

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    I agree, Steve can illustrate a point with some nice photos! I'm interested in the bear fence. What are my options. Any place to rent one? Commercial units are not too bad in price. Then there is piecing one together. I would either rent or piece together. Raised on a farm, know something about them. I'll do some research, seems like once you get your power source figured out its just how to set wires. We had all ours in dishwashers and insulated boxes to help batteries out. I'll do some searching online

Thanks again
    I believe Marc Tayor at Wiggy's Alaska rents fences.

I'm a visual person and many of the same questions come up here on the forum, so I take a lot of photos. Really helps me in the reloading process, nice to see how a load actually groups. It's been my experience, that many times the bears get your camp while you are not there. Plus I just sleep better with a fence.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 01-06-2011 at 09:46.
    Founding Member

A good headlamp (4-D cell batteries), clear safety glasses, crampons, snowshoes (neoprene "webbing"). shoe-goo (one tube - boot repair, etc.).
    The issue of whether to cook in the tent will be "self-resolving" on about the third day of sixty knot winds and rain/snow. We've never used the electric fence setup - always put a lot of emphasis on where we camp. On Kodiak never had a "problem" with bears in camp, usually just the opposite.
    Joe

Hey Joe, on a average snow year on Kodiak, do you really need snowshoes?.....crampons??...just askin is all!....

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Hey Joe, on a average snow year on Kodiak, do you really need snowshoes?.....crampons??...just askin is all!....
    The way the weather changes, never know what will really be needed. Wouldn't carry them around - but - certainly would have access to them in camp if needed. Used the real aggressive crampons on the steep frozen or snow covered slopes and the real light military crampons for crossing or walking in the river because of the slick rocks. Snowshoes used obviously on the snow, but in some instances to cross some of bogs. The Shirpa(sp) type seemed to work the best.
    Joe

[QUOTE=stid2677;865975]I believe Mary Tayor at Wiggy's Alaska rents fences.

Steve who is Mary Taylor ???

As for bear fence on Kodiak I have used them and let me tell you they work so well the bay we were in did not have one bear in it !!!!!

Here is one set up

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

[QUOTE=RANGER RICK;866034][QUOTE=stid2677;865975]I believe Mary Tayor at Wiggy's Alaska rents fences.

It's Marc in drag..........

[QUOTE=kingfisherktn;866040][QUOTE=RANGER RICK;866034]
    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I believe Mary Tayor at Wiggy's Alaska rents fences.

It's Marc in drag..........
    Typo, Sorry Marc. Marc Taylor runs Wiggy's Alaska in downtown Anchorage. Although he did cry like a Mary when he lost DeathMoan.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Although he did cry like a Mary when he lost DeathMoan.

Steve
    That's pretty funny, I thought it was more like, "Screamed like a woman"
    when he lost that baby of his....

Ever seen his Avatar ? That guy's a Screamer for sure, well I thought, until I got into his store
    went in there for a good winter sleeps bag, Found one quick, it's a great store,

my first comment was, "Hey, you're not screamin' at me.!?!" I don't remember him laughing
    but he's a pretty good guy, got a lot of good stuff in stock there

but you won't miss that he's a Marine, the instant you look him in the eye

Ranger, his store is on Old Seward, just west (?)of Dimond Mall

PS that term is not meant to be derogatory ladies, but descriptive, ok?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    That's pretty funny, I thought it was more like, "Screamed like a woman"
    when he lost that baby of his....

Ever seen his Avatar ? That guy's a Screamer for sure, well I thought, until I got into his store
    went in there for a good winter sleeps bag, Found one quick, it's a great store,

my first comment was, "Hey, you're not screamin' at me.!?!" I don't remember him laughing
    but he's a pretty good guy, got a lot of good stuff in stock there

but you won't miss that he's a Marine, the instant you look him in the eye

Ranger, his store is on Old Seward, just west (?)of Dimond Mall

PS that term is not meant to be derogatory ladies, but descriptive, ok?
    Kodiakrain

I know Marc . Been to his place a few times and always leave with more than I went in for !!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast