Thread: 308 Load

Default 308 Load

Hello,
    I have a box of Sierra MatchKing 135Gr SP. I'm having a hard time finding ANY reloading data for this bullet. The latest Sierra load manual doesn't even list the 135gr. I'd like to use Winchester 748 for the powder as I have tons of it. Any suggestions to start with would be great.
    Thanks,
    Don

Hodgdon has data with 130 and 140 grain bullets. They list W748 in between 4064 and BLC-2. With a bit of interpolation between the two bullet weights to arrive at 135gr I would consider 44-48grs.

I am only offering assistance to your question based on internet data not my own testing with your combination. Use at your own risk.

308 Winchester in a T/C Contender & Encore (Lyman Reloading Manual 49th Edition)

Warning! Notes: This data was developed for use in the T/C Contender and Encore handguns. It can also be used in other single shot or bolt-action handguns such as the Remington XP-100 and Savage Striker. Do not use these loads in any other type of handgun. Cases: Remington; trim-to length: 2.005"; primers: Remington 9 1/2; primer size: Large Rifle; Lyman shell holder: No. 2; cast bullets used sized to .308" dia.; firearm used: Thompson/Center Encore; barrel length: 15"; twist: 1-10"; groove dia.: .308"
    Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.
    Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
    135 Sierra Jacketed SP Winchester W-748 44.0 2335
    Remarks: sugg. start load; 2.725" OAL
    135 Sierra Jacketed SP Winchester W-748 50.2 2603
    Remarks: max load; compressed powder charge; 2.725" OAL