Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trapping gun

Default trapping gun

i have a 22lr and am thinking about getting either a 17 hmr or a 22mag. been hearin alot of good things about 17 hmr for shooting river otters. also thinking about gettin possibly a 204, 22-250....

I think a .204 or .22-250, or any centerfire .22 really, would be WAY to big. They would be hard on pelts.
    I would recommend a small rimfire pistol, .17, .22LR, or .22mag. You won't be taking long shots, so a pistol would be adequate and easy to carry. Use FMJ ammo to reduce pelt damage.

Here's mine, a model 94 .22mag.

Quote Originally Posted by vermilion View Post
    i have a 22lr and am thinking about getting either a 17 hmr or a 22mag. been hearin alot of good things about 17 hmr for shooting river otters. also thinking about gettin possibly a 204, 22-250....
    Are you looking for a trap LINE gun, or a gun to use in place of a trap?
    If for a line - tailwind gave you good advvice. If you're looking for a predator rifle any you mentioned would do the job.

I love my .17HMR, but it's not a trapline gun. I use a .22 pistol for that and I'm thinking of jumping up to the 327 Fed where I can shoot many flavors of straight-walled .32 cartridges out of it. One of my buds uses a .32-20 on his. The last thing I want to do is happen on a wolf in a leg-hold trap and dispatch him with a bb launcher.
    Now what ?

I carry a .22 mag marlin bolt action in a soft case on the snomachine cowling and a 22lr pistol around my waist. The first is for random harvest opportunities, the second is for trap dispatch..

22 mag.......i swear those things can do it all...

lb, have you got a line gun, and if so, what kind?

i carry a ruger black hawk 41mag on my hip for angry moose and a ruger single six with 22 shorts in my pack for dispatch i also carry the mag cylinder for a little more range if needed.

Default I'm a dummy about computers, but here goes

Download your photos on your computer so you can find them. Documents, desk top whatever.
    When you "advance reply" to the thread, or start a new one, there is an option below the typing window, MANAGE ATTACHMENTS, open it.
    Top right corner says ADD FILES, open it.
    Another window opens, and the bottom, says SELECT FILES, click on it
    The next window at the top says LOOK IN. That should be your computer. Hit the drop down and find the spot you just "hid" youir photos.
    click on the photo, and at the bottom it should say OPEN. click and it adds it to your list on the other window.
    You should be able to do that twice. Then click on the bottom where it says INSERT INLINE.

I hope I just did not do a bunch of typing for nothing. And I hope I did not mess you up.
    So now go do it and post those gosh darn photos. You know it's got to be important if I am the guy trying to help you.
    HURRY UP, WHAT YOU WAITING FOR!!
    ARR

.22WM, you will not be disappointed.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

AKRR, was that post intended for the wolverine thread?
    If so can mods move or copy it there?

22mag
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Very nice Amigo Will. What a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    lb, have you got a line gun, and if so, what kind?
    one gun for everything...my 22 mag!

passed down from my grandpa, to my dad, too me...
    this sucker here will put fox or otter on the ground allllllllllllllllllllllll day long..
    nicest gun ive ever handled..i love this gun. i just run cheapp 40 grain full metal jackets through it but heck i love it...doest do damage to my fur at all and nothing moves after that sucker wacks it!

check this thing out

Thanks LB, not much you can't do with a .22 magnum in winter.
    That is an awesome pic. I have to quit showing your posts to my GF, your making me look lazy. She thinks your one bad trapper man.
    I told her you have benjamin button disease, and your actually 70 years old.

here is the pistol my gf got me for christmas for the trapline....it is a ruger 22/45...it shoots 22 long rifle.....i had been using my winchester 9422 which i do love to shoot but dont' want to beat up on the line....i did put a hi-viz front sight and a v-notch rear sight on the pistol which is about a thousand times better than the factory square sights...and is really handy for shooting at night with a flashlight.....i wanted the ruger single six for the change out cylinders but my gf doesn't like to shoot revolvers so she got me this so she can shoot it too....im not complaining at all....she did good...but i'm still gonna try to get my mitts on one of those sweet little single six revolvers
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I love my .17HMR, but it's not a trapline gun. I use a .22 pistol for that and I'm thinking of jumping up to the 327 Fed where I can shoot many flavors of straight-walled .32 cartridges out of it. One of my buds uses a .32-20 on his. The last thing I want to do is happen on a wolf in a leg-hold trap and dispatch him with a bb launcher.

steve are you saying a 22 wont kill a wolf in a trap? because....bb launcher or not...a 22 will put a trapped wolf right down...as long as you know how to shoot......in my experience at least....
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

i own a 17hmr and love it but would never consider shooting anything in a trap with it....i had to dispatch a lynx that i shot further away first with it and it left a huge exit hole even with FMJ...about the size of a quarter....tiny entrance hole though.....i have had 22lr hit spine and ribs and never leave that big of a hole from trap dispatch range...<25 ft
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Thanks LB, not much you can't do with a .22 magnum in winter.
    That is an awesome pic. I have to quit showing your posts to my GF, your making me look lazy. She thinks your one bad trapper man.
    I told her you have benjamin button disease, and your actually 70 years old.
    i hope not! at 16, i dont have to much longer!
    just explain to her that you want the younger guys like me to get out there to catch some critters...being the nice guy you are your just letting me get my share in at a young age

haha but dang i cant get enough of that 22 mag...that thing does it all for me, and its just tough as nails too

Default double tough

Hahaha...enjoy your remaining years.
    Is your .22mag a savage? I have a savage .22-250 that I LOVE. Tough as nails, just as you describe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast