Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many sport shrimp pots in PWS?

Default How many sport shrimp pots in PWS?

Does anyone know if the 2010 8 pot limit for sport shrimping in PWS will be the same for 2011?

You just beat me to that same question.

I sure hope so. I need 5 more pots. My son has decided he loves shrimp and I can't get my wife to feed him halibut instead. He's only 11 months old after all. Save the shrimp for shrimp ettouffee and Louisiana BBQ shrimp.

If that little kid can tell the difference between shrimp and halibut at 11 mos you got yurself a winner! Oh yeah, it's about your wife's choice, tell her it will interfere with his cognitive development to eat shrimp before he is 18...

Say, I thought Steve/Potbuilder would at least chime in here, he could sell Patrick and me a bunch more pots if the limit is going to be 8 again???

I was at F&G a month ago filling out my shrimp harvest report again. I have only mailed my harvest report in twice and both times I get a little slip back saying I have not turned it in. They told me that they get lost in the mail a lot do to the size. Anyone else experience this?

I asked if the commercial fishery would be open next year and he said that they were not sure. He told me that he thought the number of sport fish pots would remain the same. Having those extra three pots sure is nice when it comes to filling the freezer. We are still eating those tasty bugs!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks, Pete! and, you solved Patrick's problem, he just needs to tell his kid Momma's feeding him BUGS

I'll try and do some sluthing and see what i can find out. Maybe they should just let everyone fish 20-30 pots and after a couple of years we'll all be wondering where all the shrimp went.
    daffyjerk.gif

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'll try and do some sluthing and see what i can find out. Maybe they should just let everyone fish 20-30 pots and after a couple of years we'll all be wondering where all the shrimp went.
    daffyjerk.gif
    Depends on how many days you fish your pots!! I can only presume and hope that the shrimping biologists have a good handle on this, and I also would think that most of us fill out our shrimp reports diligently to help them...then I know there's a lot of discussion already on commercial vs sport fishing/shrimping...and I work pretty hard for the shrimp I get, never have had those full pots you show, Steve, and I'm a little surprised about your comment to me/us since you advise about running 4 pots on a single line, and running two lines...anyway, I sure hope we are participating in a sustainable fishery and if I get any indication I'm not, I'll pull back!!

F&G has lost my diipnet permits and shrimp permits that I have returned, so anymore I just take them in myself and get a receipt showing that they've taken them.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I was at F&G a month ago filling out my shrimp harvest report again. I have only mailed my harvest report in twice and both times I get a little slip back saying I have not turned it in. They told me that they get lost in the mail a lot do to the size. Anyone else experience this?

I asked if the commercial fishery would be open next year and he said that they were not sure. He told me that he thought the number of sport fish pots would remain the same. Having those extra three pots sure is nice when it comes to filling the freezer. We are still eating those tasty bugs!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    F&G has lost my diipnet permits and shrimp permits that I have returned, so anymore I just take them in myself and get a receipt showing that they've taken them.
    I figure that it was just pick on the tall skinny white guy day at F & G. Glad I am not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Depends on how many days you fish your pots!! I can only presume and hope that the shrimping biologists have a good handle on this, and I also would think that most of us fill out our shrimp reports diligently to help them...then I know there's a lot of discussion already on commercial vs sport fishing/shrimping...and I work pretty hard for the shrimp I get, never have had those full pots you show, Steve, and I'm a little surprised about your comment to me/us since you advise about running 4 pots on a single line, and running two lines...anyway, I sure hope we are participating in a sustainable fishery and if I get any indication I'm not, I'll pull back!!
    Ron and everybody,
    I didn't aim my comment at anybody(nor did i mean it to be aimed at anyone) its just my opinion on the way shrimping seems to be going. I have the privilege of talking with a LOT of folks over the season and at the shows and it seemed to me last year that a good percentage of the folks said that they catch all the shrimp they want with 5 pots and they just didn't need to go to 8, then there were the folks that said they raised it to 8 then thats what i have to have. Its just human nature (for the most part) to grab all they can and not worry about the future. There is a tremendous amount of pots out there and i hope that F&G is keeping a good handle on this wonderful fishery that we have, it would be a shame if a few years down the road it disappeared because of too much effort. It would be a real shame if it turned into the shrimp fishery they have in Washington with only days or hours to fish and a per person limit.
    Folks tell me all the time how many pots they want to fish per line all i do is suggest to them on how i would rig them . I do ask where they fish, how deep and most importantly what they are going to haul them with, its all one big system to make hauling go smoothly.
    I don't even want to get into a discussion about sport/commercial fishing its a never ending finger pointing contest.
    So once again if i pissed off anyone with my post please don't take it personally it wasn't aimed at anyone or at any group, it was just a dirtbag gillnetters opinion.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I think that it can all be summed up by saying that no matter how many pots you use, don't catch more than you can eat just because you can. At least that's my opinion. Of course the same goes for other fish and game, too.

I wish somebody would post the trick of freezing them w/o them getting mushy. Until I learn this valuable tidbit all the pots I'm allowed is one because I can't eat that many

The 8 pot limit was great for those of us that live in the interior and only get a couple trips out each year. Even with 8 pots I still don't get anywhere near the amount I would like to eat in a year.

In 14 years I've only seen one other set of pots where I shrimp, and that only for 2 days....so I guess my local spot is safe from over-shrimping.

I put my shrimp in a bucket for about 1/2 hour right out of the shrimp pot, to let them purge (Idea from Spoiled One and others) and they really come clean, then snap the heads off and put on ice in ziplocks right away...ziploc keeps fresh water off. Later that day they are vacuum packed (well, I try, sometimes triple bagged, towels, freezer paper etc. but they still get poked and leak) and frozen in a regular freezer. Never mushy, good as long as they last in the freezer, sometimes 7-8 months. I think if you are getting soft shrimp after freezing, Fullbush, maybe you are not putting them on ice right away and freezing that day?? Or, maybe keeping them in a bucket of water a long time?? They are spot shrimp, not pinks which are always soft to me??

I am like Capt Ron, except I toss mine in the live well and let the water run for 20 or 30 minutes (well till I am done pulling and resetting)

I also do not wish to run 8 pots, but I am picking up another one so I can run 3 on a string.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

There were one or two seasons when I got lots of really mushy shrimp. Really mushy and chalky. All the shrimp in one pull of 5 pots were sometimes like that. This is the first and last experience some have with shrimping.

What works for me is I put them in a bucket, then soon after that take off their heads and put them in baggies in the boat cooler. They will poke holes in the baggies, so don't put them so far down in the ice that water will seep into the baggies. Then at home I put them in a quart freezer baggie, fill the baggie with water to the top. Then zip the baggie most of the way closed, push down on the baggie and make lots of the water run out. As you're still doing that, zip it the rest of the way shut. Should be no air in the baggie. Then put that in another freezer baggie (double bagged). Put in freezer. Rarely had the outer bag leak.

After washing and cleaning the shrimp I put them is plastic sand bags in my fish hold with ice. I had some boards that they sat on and about once aday I would hit the switch and pump out the water. I would keep them like that for a week with no problems. Plastic sand bags cost about $.49 each and I was getting them at AIH. You can put around 25lbs per bag. 120qt cooler will hold about 4 bags

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    After washing and cleaning the shrimp I put them is plastic sand bags in my fish hold with ice. I had some boards that they sat on and about once aday I would hit the switch and pump out the water. I would keep them like that for a week with no problems. Plastic sand bags cost about $.49 each and I was getting them at AIH. You can put around 25lbs per bag. 120qt cooler will hold about 4 bags
    Great idea! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I wish somebody would post the trick of freezing them w/o them getting mushy. Until I learn this valuable tidbit all the pots I'm allowed is one because I can't eat that many
    Jeff,
    I freeze them(the tails) in 1qt. plastic freezer containers, i fill with tails, add enough water to cover then stick in freezer till frozen solid. Once frozen i take them out of freezer run under water till i can take the block of frozen shrimp out of container then i wrap the block in plastic wrap(big box from costco) and stick back in freezer till needed. Nice part is that the containers are only used as molds to make the shrimp bricks and the bricks pack/stack nice and tight in the freezer. Never had any burn or get mushy. I do think that the shrimp get mushy/chalky later in the season and when they start egging up. Stop by at one of the shows and i'll fill you in more on the shrimp brick method.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast