Thread: Best snowshoes to carry on snowmachine

Default Best snowshoes to carry on snowmachine

Looking for opinions on what you like to carry strapped to your machine so that you can get off and call, check traps or hunt birds. I have some 3' wood bear paws, but maybe there's something better out there which I've overlooked.

If you don't require traditional gear - any of the new aluminum snowshoes perform pretty good even with a smaller footprint - less chance of breaking if you happen to turn your sled over too.

I use these.
    http://www.brauns.com/gc/gc_item.exe...SnowShoes&Z9=0

Good shoes, made in North America (Canada).
    Lots of the other shoes are made in china.
    I like the solid cross bar your foot pivots on. Good bindings that don't need to be real tight to stay in place.
    I have a pair of 10x36 and 8x28. The 10x36 gets the most use. I bought the 8x28 for firmer snow.
    Depending on your weight you might try the 9x30's.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I've racked up a few miles on snowshoes, and keep a pair on my machine most of the time. Generally speaking I'd rather deal with ones that are a little to large for the situation than one's that are too small. Thus my most recent pair is a set of 10x36 GV snowshoes (similar to the one's Traveler suggested). They are made in Canada and the construction quality is first rate even on the more entry level models. I also strongly prefer a free or nearly free pivoting binding. The cheaper versions of most brands have a "flexible" binding attachment that really is the pits on steep ground or deep snow.

Yk

Personally, I'm carrying a pair of Atlas shoes at the moment. They're OK, but the bindings run a bit small for use with real boots.

Everybody you ask will have a different opinion of what's best, and I think what's important is that you carry a pair of shoes that you are comfortable and proficient with, and that you know you can walk home with if you had to. That's my primary reason for carrying them; the ability to walk out if something goes gunnysack with my machine. Carry shoes that are up to that task, and you know they'll perform for any other chores like hunting birds or checking traps too.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Personally, I'm carrying a pair of Atlas shoes at the moment. They're OK, but the bindings run a bit small for use with real boots.

Everybody you ask will have a different opinion of what's best, and I think what's important is that you carry a pair of shoes that you are comfortable and proficient with, and that you know you can walk home with if you had to. That's my primary reason for carrying them; the ability to walk out if something goes gunnysack with my machine. Carry shoes that are up to that task, and you know they'll perform for any other chores like hunting birds or checking traps too.
    You're right that everyone has an opinion, and I value all mentioned here. That leads me to another question: how do you all carry your snow shoes? I have kept mine bungied together on one side of my tunnel, with the gun boot on the other, but lately I've been thinking about making a rack for the front of my machine to carry them there.

These I belive are the best snowshoes, tough, can climb, ice, deep snow, everything. Very expensive though
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CCIQ8wIwAA#

When I had a snowmachine I would bungee them down on the back of the tunnel.
    Now I use a 4-wheeler with tracks, I just bungee to the racks, or stick'em in the gun rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Usually keep my snowshoes strapped to one side of the rear rack and an avalanche shovel and axe strapped to the other side. I roll and wreck my machine way to often to use a gun boot so the gun either gets strapped low on the tunnel or on my back. My machine has more "off trail" miles than trail miles, so that influences how I do things. Anything strapped to my hood would get peeled of in the brush in short order. I should also say the the snow shoe pick might be influenced by the machine choice. If you don't have a rack then a set of smaller shoes might be in order. The MSR plastic shoes seem to be ok for the "walk back" scenario and are nice in the brush. I've used a set of 9x30" Atlas shoes too, and they worked, although the lower end versions would not my first choice.

The low buck alternative is the military shoes. I bet I've got hundreds of miles those suckers and they work pretty good, but be advised that finding quality bindings for them is tough.

btw, if you don't have an avalanche shovel on your machine yet, I HIGHLY recommend it. Those suckers can save a huge amount of effort when stuck off trail.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post

btw, if you don't have an avalanche shovel on your machine yet, I HIGHLY recommend it. Those suckers can save a huge amount of effort when stuck off trail.

Yk
    That's for sure. I carry a collapsible shovel, a folding saw, and a small folding come-along as well. I have gotten myself out of some pretty sticky situations with those tools.

I watched the Black Opps Brothers show last nite where they built an ATV out of snomo tracks for a disable Vietnam War Vet. That was cool as heck.
    Now for me, not being quite as bad off as that guy, but bad off enough to know I couldn't go 50 yards on snowshoes, I want those guys to get me 2 Arctic Cat Kitty Cats and make me some snow shoes with em. One for each foot. I got big feet, so they should fit perfect. All they gotta do is set em up with foot straps and maybe some hand controls. Oh Ya! That's what I want................lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    These I belive are the best snowshoes, tough, can climb, ice, deep snow, everything. Very expensive though
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CCIQ8wIwAA#
    Can you get a pair of bunny boots, Northern Outfitters, or Schnees Extreme Pack boots into those bindings?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    When I had a snowmachine I would bungee them down on the back of the tunnel.
    Now I use a 4-wheeler with tracks, I just bungee to the racks, or stick'em in the gun rack.

Curious as to how those Mattracks work for you? Any downside to them?
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    Curious as to how those Mattracks work for you? Any downside to them?
    Use more gas, but they get around pretty good. I've had lot's of snowmachines and they won't go where a good mountain sled will go. Great for cat hunting, horn hunting ,trapping.
    Also your speed is slower. And they are Tatou's 4s.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Can you get a pair of bunny boots, Northern Outfitters, or Schnees Extreme Pack boots into those bindings?
    Yep the bindings are very adjustable. I don't think you would have any problem getting bunny boots in them.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Looking for opinions on what you like to carry strapped to your machine so that you can get off and call, check traps or hunt birds. I have some 3' wood bear paws, but maybe there's something better out there which I've overlooked.
    quite a few years ago my wife bought me a pair of Canadian Made Bear Paws.. and altho they are looking a little abused some 40 yrs later, they are still my go to snowshoes... If we get the sno-go(s) stuck, they are better for laying down a track out than the narrower versions of aluminum shoes my kids/grandkids have... I've spent a few winter days tromping around shooting at snow shoe hare with them on... I have a pair of wood/rawhide shoes that the military used to use, think they are about 4ft long.. tried them a few times when some one else used my bearpaws, but I found them more difficult to navigate with... I bungie my bearpaws on the back rack of my SWT.. opposite of my little avalance shovel.../John