Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SE Bear Hunting 2011

Default SE Bear Hunting 2011

Figured since the SE Deer Hunting 2010 thread went on and on forever, and was a good place to put everything, I'd start a Bear 2011 thread.

Whats everyone got for plans?

I know this year will be the first year I plan on seriously going after a Brownie - Gonna try to do it with a bow as well, should make for an interresting time.

I also hope to pick up a blackie or two.

What about you guys?

oh...and just to start things out with a photo or two....From 2010....

^ Dinkerific!

I love bear hunting. I'm going to start in April again. Going to take my big boat and spend long weekends looking for some nice ones for me and the kids. Also going to to try to kill a whopper up in alpine in June if I have a tag left. I've been watching a few VW bug sized bears through my spotting scope above the tree line for the last few years and it's time to go get one.

First blackie I ever got was an Alpine one - Big by Juneau standards - Got him close to town to, not a rub....The pack out sucked since it was April and I had to salvage everything...

I hope they make salvage a requirement for the entire black bear season. They do not get into fish untill season is closed.

Cordova in May chasing Blackies, only 4 more months!!!

Well One Lung, you have got a knack for Thread Titles that will work, that SE Deer 2010 was a great one to be sure, I really liked following that one,

I just wish you had titled this "Coastal Bear Hunting" to include us over here
    (Kidding on that.... kinda)
    I might get to switch out my Fishing boat this year if so, I'll buy in Pac NW and be cruising SE shores for Bear on the way up.... late May/June ? I hope,

Otherwise, I'll have to stretch the definition of SE with my plan to use two tags for Blacks on the South Kenai Peninsula. Hope to get over there early by myself, then bring the son over in June after school lets out, chase down one for him or at least spend the time with him, paddling around, laughing a lot and looking for Bears.
    Hunting the tidal flats by Canoe, Had the time of our lives last year based out of the big boat.

Also may be looking around pretty seriously for a registration Brown out back of town here this spring. Kind of becoming a goal of mine for some reason.
    I'll call it a management thing, "They're Darn Everywhere Now," but there is more to it.....
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Brownies with a bow is a head rush and they all look big at ten yards,glad I have just held a back-up gun
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I am highly considering a Spring Brown bear here in SE. It will be my first and I here stalking a Brownie bring an intense pucker factor. Now I just have to get my man BH on board, but I don't think that will take much...

Yup, CtP you've got yourself a partner if we can get our schedules meshed. I think there will be some glassing and waiting along some remote beach in our future.

You should see the pile of BB locking tags I have.

Still waiting for one big enuff to shoot here in S.E. I've been told you'll know w/o question or reservation.

I hear ya on that one L.G....I've had oppurtunities, but number one I want to do it with a bow, and number two I'd like it to meet the minimum score to make it in the P&Y.....Don't want to waste my 1 every 4 years on a dink...

Kodiakrain - Just because the title says SE, doesn't mean you can't post your happenings in here, always good to see what people got going on!

onelung,

you know what is going to happen!! we'll end up going to "ol reliable flats" and you'll shoot a monster and we'll get back to town at o dark thirty!! mad mike--I second that on the black bear salvage both spring and fall. lots of good meat goes to waste IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    onelung,

you know what is going to happen!! we'll end up going to "ol reliable flats" and you'll shoot a monster and we'll get back to town at o dark thirty!! mad mike--I second that on the black bear salvage both spring and fall. lots of good meat goes to waste IMO.
    Yeah, I'd like to try those flats again...still think it could be good - I will pack my .300 with me as well this time instead of just the .308 heh....

Anyone have any pictures of past bears scored? Gotta keep this thread alive and breathing until the season starts!

Here's one from South Coast, Kenai Peninsula,

Our first Father/Son Hunt, last June, just after School got out (about a 6ft Boar, Tasting Real Good)

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I'm pretty sure I got the 1st one sealed on POW in 2010.

Skull went right at 20" green. Killed it April 21st or 22nd. Can't remember. I'm going to start looking on April 15th this year. Other than some snow rubs, the hide on that bear is just amazing.

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

I have my first really serious black bear hunt planed for the second week of may out of valdez. I cant wait. Now i have 4 months to look over my gear list several thousand times and hope that i have everything. I am looking at doing it with a recurve bow for at least the first 4 days of a 7 day hunt, we will see how that turns out for me.

Saw what looks a two day old track by the gun range today,small blacky
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

dang 270 thats a beauty!!, one lung and i are hopefully gunna whack a few this year, wife even wants to shoot a brownie this spring

LG, how big of bear are you looking for? Reason I ask is because Mom-in-law said she would like to try & shoot a brownie. Now she is to old & I don't have desiere to take here out the Pen. & stay in a tent. I was curious to how much pressure there is on Admirilty. I get the sense there are a few guides crusing the bays along with the locals. I was thinkinkg of trying the one of the two forest svc cabins on the south side. If I could rent a zodiac in Petursburg, it might work. However it is pretty late already for this spring. If one was to do this in fall would hiking from the cabins be a viable option? Not trying to get anyone's spot or step on toes, but any info via pm would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast