Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tent with a stove jack?

Default Tent with a stove jack?

My buddy and I haven't ever hunted/camped with a stove in our tent but we have access to a stove and I'm wondering if there is a tent out there that is actually affordable and somewhat light that has a stove jack? The Titanium Goat & Kifaru Tipi's are just unaffordable, imo. A canvas/wall tent is far too complex, expensive, and heavy. A cabela's 6-man with a stove jack would be great, although its 32 lbs.

Can a stove jack be added to any tent? I figure it probably can't as there must be some sort of magic in the material to make the tent fire resistant. It can't be as simply as "fire coating" a tent and having a jack sewn in.

Any recommendations for a tent that has a 6-6.5' peak height, under 25 lbs and under or around $500? Seems like a Shangri-La 5 would work but I don't believe it has a stove jack.

Thanks for any recommendations,
    Tim

Tim,

Many places won't sew stove jacks into Silnylon tents due to the liability. However I found a guy that sewed one into my SL-8 for a reasonable price. I have an SL-5 but probably won't be putting a stove jack in it as I mainly use it above tree/brush line so the would be nothing to burn in the stove. There are others I have seen have had stove jacks sewn into their GoLite SL-5s and it seems like it would work out ok. Takes up a little space in the middle of the tent, but the center pole is there anyways so its not that much more. Anyways, my setup is set to use a NU-Way 3000 propane stove that vents the water mist outside unlike a buddy heater (which is huge when using propane for multiple days inside a tent things will get muggy inside due to no venting) or a Kifaru size large stove for wood depending on application.

Here is what my setup looks like. I think all up it was $500 for the tent/stove/stovejack and installation (I got a smoking deal on both the stove and the tent):

That's nice! So that's the SL8...

I thought someone (maybe it was you) posted that GoLite was having a 30 or 40% off sale around December. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do tent-wise then and I had my eye on a new lever gun at GNG at the time. Wish I would have posted this thread during the sale instead of now. Does GoLite have a sale every December or other times of the year?

Anyone know what a Barney's Bomb Shelter weighs and if a stove jack can be sewn into it ? Good deal on Craigslist for one right now...

Tim

Ak lanche..did you try the nuway out yet..I bought one a few weeks ago but haven't tried it yet in the sl5..i have burned it in the garage and the fuel lasts along time from a 20lber..

A buddy and I did a similar modification to a go-lite SL8. I got the stove jack at AK tent and tarp and had a buddy sew it in. It works great but the stove is a little undersized. I have the Kifaru small. What stove do you have in your tent Lanch? For the weight and the price I think it would be hard to find a better set-up.

I have a few pictures of the tent in action on the link below:

http://liventhedreaminalaska.blogspo...g-harvest.html

Awesome website Brian! Great photos and adventures to look at and read. The tent in your picts is an SL8? It looks like you have two poles up in the tent in the photos. How many feet of stove pipe are you guys using? Are you using a floor when you're winter camping?

Brian/Lanche are you guys cooking in your tents too? Trying to figure out what to do for a cook shelter if its raining something heinous outside.

Tim

We put the 4 man mosquito nest inside of the SL8 for sleeping in. It provides a floor and prevents the majority of the frost from falling on you and your sleeping bag. That leaves the rest of the tent space as a floorless vestibule for cooking and keeping one out of the heinous weather.

"Mainah in AK's Rivah Tent"........WICKED!

Did the same thing with one of my Assualt Outfitter 4's.
    17 lbs total weight with stove
    Stove Jacks with rainflaps on both the main tent body and the rain fly
    I actually kept the silicone rings which makes a nice tight fit.........no leakin in a heavy down pour.
    Had to cut the rings out a bit.
    Bath Tub floor, four season tent..........it's been amazing and lightweight.
    Took a set of tin snips and reduced the height of the stove pipe a bit because it was to darned tall in this three-pole four season tent. The pipe was originally designed for a teepee style height.
    You can see my pimp rain flap that has full velcro that holds it closed on one side......open on the othah........yesah!

Attached Images Attached Images

That's what I'm talkin' about Mariner! Did you sew the stove jack in your self or what? No issues with the pipe melting fabric between the rain fly and tent? Glad to see someone put a stove in a tent/fly combo, I was convinced a stove would only work with a tee-pee or single-wall tent. Do you guys worry about embers? Lanche's stove pipe looks plenty high to disperse embers. What is a "bathtub floor."

Brian & Lanche: can you explain "the nest" to me a little more? I thought the nest was just mosquito mesh. It has a floor or a partial floor?

If I'm looking to buy a SL5 for September hunting (rain) would I be better off with the nest or floor only?

Thanks.
    Tim

No issues, the materials are tougher and more resistant to heat than what people give em credit for. During moosey season, It was the only way to actually get clothes to dry. My son and I giggle at the warning tag about "heat sources" inside the tent.......while we lay there toasty in the morning. I HATE breaking the seal on a sleeping bag when it's cold out.......it's just miserable. I stoke the stove just to get dressed, and undressed.......I don't use it to sleep with.

Mariner, that is a great looking setup! What type of stove do you have inside? TCCAK71, the mosquito nest has a water proof bathtub floor with a full zip door and the rest is all simply mosquito mesh...I think the 4 man nest weighs more than the 8 man tarp, but it really is nice to have. I left the silicone ring in my stove jack as well. it is a real tight fit and needed some trimming but seems to work well. I'm not sure on the height of my stove pipe, but the higher the better to allow any embers to calm down before they land on the silnylon

Default What do you guys think about this?

Here's a tent I found at Cabela's. Its pretty big-10x10 with an 8' peak height and supposedly only 16 lbs. Guess I could have a stove jack sewn in this too.

I'm having a hard time finding a tent that has a 6' interior height and larger enough for two guys and a stove. The Cabela's is a little big, but "light" compared to others--a Cabela's 6-man Guide tent is 32 lbs. Buddy and I got rained out and it sucked not having a tent large enough to stand in or to comfortably sit on buckets and play cards. I like the GoLite 5, but its a bit much at $525 with the nest. I thought a Kelty Trail Ridge ($290) would work, if I could modify it for a stove. A REI Hobitat 6 may work too, if it could accommodate a jack. I noticed that Mariner's tent's poles don't meet in the middle, which makes me wonder about using the Trail Ridge or Hobitat. Here's the Hobitat: http://www.rei.com/product/810139

Stoves look like they run about $270 at Arctic tent + tarp or online for a Riley Flapjack stove. The Kifaru's are a bit pricey & cabela's stoves are too heavy, imo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

tccak71,

All that mesh in that Kelty tent may make for a drafty tent, and I wouln't focus too much on tent height. The only tent I'd trust with that type of height would be a very expensive Arctic Oven. The assualt outfitter 4 has a ton of mesh too.......but you can zip almost all of it completely shut for those really cold windy days, or selectively leave part partially open for ventilation. Another issue I have with that tent is it only has two poles, it wouldn't hold up in the wind.

Yea, wind can be an issue. This would pretty much be a one-trick pony and we'd use it in our moose spot, which we know we can get tucked into the trees for coverage. I wouldn't use either of the tents in my last post on an arctic or Kotzebue caribou hunt, I don't think. Guy on Craigslist has a Barney's Bomb Shelter for $500; I think that may work with a stove, etc..., but I don't know what it weighs and the cost of a stove in addition to the tent would be a deal-breaker for me right now.

Tim

Was lookin' over this thread...

Used to have several Eureka Assault Outfitter tents in my quiver (more like inventory of tents) and have turned many folks on to this 3+++ season modified dome --- as it represents one of the real deal values in a very good outfitter class of tent. This Eureka (like Mainer's) tho' not as spacious is night and day better compared to the 'guide-model' junk.

What do I mean by guide model junk? I mean the tents themselves that are reasonable enough... however come w/ the worst possible un-rated poles and by a design having little pole sleeves at tent top intersections that cause routine, unbelievably easily bent tent poles upon wet or windy setup. These are NOT good 4-season tents!!!

The little piece of nylon crap they refer to as an Outback Lodge may as well be take-out-to-dumpster hodge-podge. To be fair-minded - the REI Hobitat is a pile-o-shat. Do yourself a great favor by recycling hard earned green backs w/ better spent $$$&cents.

If goin' it fly weight... there is simply no more efficient than using ultralight pyramidal, modified twin pole pyramidal, or a tipi design --- then sewing a quality stove jack into it.

Going significantly heavier/bulkier enjoying more roominess/comfort with convenient setup in all sorts of conditions... a new or old Barney's Bombshelter can be fitted using same process as sewing in a system like Mainer's. Admittedly the much, much better/safer approach is to somehow afford the proven Alaska Tent and Tarp Arctic Ovens.

Food for thoughts: Not too stable in 'significantly' high winds or driven rains, nevertheless you may consider the inexpensive Eskimo QuickFish ice fishing shelters... these work very well with a sewn in stove jack plus set up in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    If goin' it fly weight... there is simply no more efficient than using ultralight pyramidal, modified twin pole pyramidal, or a tipi design --- then sewing a quality stove jack into it.

you may consider the inexpensive Eskimo QuickFish ice fishing shelters... these work very well with a sewn in stove jack plus set up in seconds.
    Any pyramid in particular that you recommend? The Kifaru's and other's I've researched are unaffordable compared to the GoLite. Brian, have you ever used a GoLite? Also, what do you mean by "modified twin pole pyramid"?

Thanks for the comments, going to check out the Eskimo you recommended...

Tim

Yip Yip,
    Brian talked me into the Assault Outfitter which is essentially a civilian variant of the 4 season tent the Marines used. Another issue with a lot of those Cabelas "outfitter" or "guide" tents is that they are a btch to set up. tccak71..........Eureaka has a helacious cabin tent that you might like, they also have a very tall a-frame model you might also like for a decent price. Let me find those models I'm referring to.....give me a sec. BTW.......Brian Richardson and AKHippie sure as heck know their tents. The reason I went with the Assault Outfitter 4 is because guess what?.......these guys used to make the Barney's tents, and assualt has three poles that are all IDENTICAL. When I'm cold and wet......I can grab a pole and just run with it (even in the dark when my headlamp died).

tccak71,

Here's an A-frame that is 6ft. 3 inches in height with a bathtub floor. It's a 2 and half pole rigid A-frame, and is dmn near 10 ft. wide. The rainfly doesn't go all the way to the ground but it may do the trick for you price range and the weight range you've required.

Even though the face might be partially exposed, it's constructed of the same material as the rain fly, while the two side wall are made of breathable material. The mesh also has zippable flaps so you can fight back against the wind and retain your warmth at night.
    http://store.eurekatent.com/products/365434/Timberline

Here's that big Cabin tent I was talking about:
    http://store.eurekatent.com/products...ine_Lodge_Tent

Yea, I had earlier read that Eureka use to make Barney's tents. The Timberline may be worth another look. Looks like a solid 4-season tent.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Gonna have to make the trip to Sporty's or Barney's to have a look at the Timberline and REI to look over the GoLites if they have any on display.

Tim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast