Thread: Vacume sealing clothing?

Default Vacume sealing clothing?

Just wondering does anyone vacuum seal their clothing for a backpack hunt. I have a food saver and I would imagine having clothing sealed would compress clothing to a very small footprint and insure dry gear.

I use freezer zip lock bags, that way you can reseal them in the field. I squish the air out and zip them closed, they keep dry and it is easy to see what is needed, sometimes I just pour my pack of bags out on the sleeping mat, get what I need and put the rest back, real quick and easy. No digging to the bottom of the pack to get something.

Nope. The only "extra" clothes I take are a couple pair of socks, maybe an extra pair of skivvies and a base layer which I may or may not be wearing depending on the temp. It all fits in a gallon zip lock bag. All other clothes/layers can be worn as needed and are usually being taken off and on all day depending on activity and weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertesq1 View Post
    Just wondering does anyone vacuum seal their clothing for a backpack hunt. I have a food saver and I would imagine having clothing sealed would compress clothing to a very small footprint and insure dry gear.
    Works great, extra pair of socks and some long johns. Its nice to know you have some dry back up clothing..and yes it takes up minimal space and ez to see what it is...............funny thing is, I have never used em, must be vacumm sealed for several years now...........LOL
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I have done it to save space on a fly out hunt.

I also used those space bags that you suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner for larger items. Then I used the food saver for socks, underwear and smaller items.

It worked great, but after you open it you are going home less compact than you went in with.

it works well for keeping things dry. It also makes it easy to sort through your stuff.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Another option is to use waterproof compression dry bags. I have one that uses a roll down seal with eVent fabric, and compression straps that I use for a down jacket. It's like this one: http://www.rei.com/product/730880. I also have another dry bag that has a vent you can open to squeeze the air out of when used inside a compression bag or harness. I use it for my down sleeping bag. These are waterproof, and are able to compress clothing and sleeping bags to a small size. Besides down, they work pretty good on fleece and other thermals. I also use regular compression bags when waterproofness is not an issue.

We have vacuum sealed our stuff for years on our backpack hunts. Always used one of those Foodsavers.

It works well.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Another option is to use waterproof compression dry bags. I have one that uses a roll down seal with eVent fabric, and compression straps that I use for a down jacket. It's like this one: http://www.rei.com/product/730880. I also have another dry bag that has a vent you can open to squeeze the air out of when used inside a compression bag or harness. I use it for my down sleeping bag. These are waterproof, and are able to compress clothing and sleeping bags to a small size. Besides down, they work pretty good on fleece and other thermals. I also use regular compression bags when waterproofness is not an issue.

I used one similar to this, I bought from Dick's Sporting Goods. You will be amazed at how much you can pack in and how compacked it get's.

I use ziplock and water proof compression bags. My rule is two levels of protect from water at all times. Those compression bags also work great to keep those stinky clothes under control until you get home, because like others I pack only one set of extra fleece long under wear to sleep in and in case I take an unexpected swim. If I get wet, I strip off and use my sleep underwear and my raingear until my other clothes dry out.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yup, small space and protection against water. I go with the vaccum sealed bags inside gallon ziplocs. Like Steve, I like two barriers.

This also works well for sealing clothes or items that can rust (i.e. high carbon fixed blade knife and folding saw) in my boat's emergency ditch bag. Protecting an emergency set of clothing stashed during a fly-in hunt inside vacuum sealed bags that are rolled inside a compression bag is another useful time. It's amazing how many clothes will fit in a compression bag when they are shrunk down.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    We have vacuum sealed our stuff for years on our backpack hunts. Always used one of those Foodsavers.

It works well.
    x2
    If I can vacuum seal it, it get vacuum sealed. 4 pack ammo, tiny spice packs, socks, lighter/knife for emergency(always dry/ready), usually snack mix bought in bulk and then sealed down in smaller bags (first days isn't and just reuse that bag)..............................

We have not had good luck keeping the Space Bags sealed.

I don't use them on backpack hunts, but I do use a vacumm sealer to compress a set of fleece pants, top and socks for an emergency in the trunk of my snowmachine.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem