Thread: rifle choice for small game

Default rifle choice for small game

Hello,
    If you had a choice between a CZ 452 american in 22lr. and a Ruger 77/22 22lr.blued walnut.
    Which would you prefer and why?
    north45

Quote Originally Posted by north45 View Post
    Hello,
    If you had a choice between a CZ 452 american in 22lr. and a Ruger 77/22 22lr.blued walnut.
    north45
    I would prefer the 77/22. Reason being that I already own one and it's an absolute tack driver. Best fit and finish of any Ruger rifle I've ever owned. I know that's not the side by side objective answer you were looking for....I'm coming from the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' perspective, and my 77/22 definitely aint broke!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

no no don't say that any perspective is good.

Thanks for the reply

I have a CZ american but I am not fond of a few things like the magazine protrudes down a fair amount and the safety works backwords. It is a nice rifle though.

north45

I have shot a few Rugers and right now I own a CZ 452 in .22 mag...I much prefer the CZ...it's a tack driver..the reciever is milled from a solid billet of steel.. the barrel is threaded into the reciever..the mag. is not a issue with me..the gun is built like their big game rifles only scaled downIMG_0359.JPG...3 shots from 50 yards

I've got both, and I greatly prefer the CZ. Nothing "wrong" with the Ruger except the bolt is on the wrong side. The CZ is a lefty and sure a lot easier for me to use.

Call it a fine point, but for me the CZ balances better and feels more like a large caliber gun. That makes it a lot more useful to me for off-season practice.

Accuracy is similar between the two with each shooting their favorite ammo, but with the CZ shooting tighter with most. But the CZ has lots more favorites. The one brand the Ruger likes best will shoot just about as well as half a dozen different ones that the CZ likes. It sure makes it easier to find good ammo for the CZ, and usually cheaper. The Ruger prefers Eley, if that tells you what it costs to shoot the smallest groups with it. Half a dozen cheaper loads come real close to that level of accuracy with the CZ, and in fact the CZ shoots tighter with the Eley, too.

Quote Originally Posted by north45 View Post
    Hello,
    north45
    I'd go with the CZ 452 American over the Ruger 77/22 'blued/walnut' you mention

I've used both.

The CZ 452 action and receiver are very well made - more or less based on a Walther Trainer. Bluing holds up much better than most. Wood will likely exhibit more traditional character. Overall, I have found 452 rifles to balance as well as fit better than Ruger .22 bolt guns. Accuracy has been quite good on 452 rifles I've used --- tho' nothing super exceptional for either, they've performed better than any 77/22 that I've shot.

I went 452 American in a .17HMR when they first came out. I shoot it rather well on the hunt, and it's a good rifle. However, I'll add if the Trainer model with graduated iron-sights had been available (and one with set-trigger if this was an option) - I'd have had a real winner.

Only reasoning to go 77/22 for preference sake would be (in my opinion) that one wanted something in stainless/synthetic and if taking a liking to flush-fit rotary magazines or banana hi-caps.