Thread: another slip wait time question

Default another slip wait time question

Looks like I'm closing in on a 42 foot boat. I'm assuming spots for this length are in just as high demand as the smaller slips in Whittier?? What is typical wait time for Homer for one of the larger slips?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Looks like I'm closing in on a 42 foot boat. I'm assuming spots for this length are in just as high demand as the smaller slips in Whittier?? What is typical wait time for Homer for one of the larger slips?
    Forever I think.....

In Homer they will give you what they call a "hot slip" which means they rent you a slip that someone else has rented but not using at the time. They make double the money that way, but it gets you a slip. If the person comes back while you are in their slip, they will move you to another slip. They will make the move for you if you are not there, using their skiff. I done this for the first year (no problems) before I got my permanent one. Mine was for a 30'. Call the Harbor and they can explain it better. 907-235-3160
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

You May have already done or know all this so sorry if its redundant but heres how it worked with me in Homer....Im only in a 34' stall but youll get the gist.

1. Measure the total length of your boat..bow to stern. My boat by model is a 26 footer. They didnt fall for that and measured the boat themselves. (33' total including motors.)thus Im paying for the 34' stall...I know..it makes sense
    2.Pay the harbor 20 or 25 bucks i think it is to get on the stall wait list. Now your on the list. They can tell you where you are on the list and how many stalls in that range they gave out the previous year.(That will give you a pretty good idea of the wait time) I was like #64 on the list. My chances where low for this year.
    3.Late september/early october they do all the stall renewals, They will call you and tell you if one opens up or not. In my case they said "sorry probably next year" Then out of the blue like 3 weeks later I get a notice in the mail saying they have one open! so you never know I guess.
    4.The Hot slip thing sounds good as well until you get your own....Ive had people tell me about that before I got my slip but every time I asked the Harbor master about it over the phone they could never really explain what I needed to do to make that happen. hopefully you have better luck there on that one. Hope this helped a tad. See ya on the water