Thread: air service on Kodiak

Default air service on Kodiak

I am planning a hunt on Kodiak and I am looking into an air service with a float plane any opinions would be great
    this will more than likely be my first fly in so I would like to have this go off with out a hitch thanks

Andrews air or seahawk air both will meet your needs try a search of this topic there are dozens of comments on this and I don't think there was one negative comment on either service.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Also depends on how much you want to pay, how much gear and how many people. I have used Kingfisher Aviation a couple times and they have done me right every time......

Andrews Air is first rate, picked us at at the airport, run us around to eat and shop and loaded our gear. Great operation and I have used a few. I also hear good things about Seahawk, but Andrews has more planes which can come in handy when things get busy and your plans change.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

must give a plug for roland at seahawk air. he did my brother and i right on his kodiak goat hunt this year. fantastic customer service.

Seahawk air is top notch

I've used them both on several occasions with no problems.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Used Andrews three times, worked great every time.

Heard Seahawk does great job too!

Can't say enough good things about Seahawk. They even sent me a Christmas card. Whoever we talked to from Andrews Lied to us about as to why they wouldn't drop us in the spot we wanted them to. They didn't want to drop us in a spot because they were dropping a guide in there but they told us that they didn't drop people in there at all. After seahawk dropped us in there an Andrews plane dropped the guide in there right after us. I would have understood if they would have told me, but I don't want to do business with someone that lies like that for no reason.

Andrews and Seahawk are both top notch. I have been flying with Roland at Seahawk for the last 3 years and will continue to do so. I like the idea of always flying with the same pilot and theres no one better on Kodiak than Roland....IMO.

I have to agree with stid2677. They pick you up and run you around if you have any needs to fulfill in Kodiak.
    Andrew Airways
    Dan

Seahawk can fly 1500 lbs and gives you rates for 1200 and 800 respectively only one plane, a beaver out of trident basin

Andrew going out can only "legally" take out 1200 on a beaver (which they have 2 and sometimes 3) but back hauls get limits pushed also have a 206 that can haul 800 pounds for a reduced rate. out of trident basin

Harvey's flying service has the wigeon(amphibious) and is more reasonable rates than the other two but weight restricted as well but don't recall the exact figure, flys out of main airport.

Kingfisher uses bush hawks similar to a 206 in weight capacity. and seating arrangement usually cheaper than the beavers but not sure been a while since i flew with them. flies out of lilly lake before ice.

Island Air has a beaver and a 206 i believe not sure what they have currently, more of a wheel plane service out of main airport.

All are reputable companies some are more customer friendly, provide van services, better location to commercial airport clientèle, willingness to land on ice, ect.

I have flown with all at one time or another and book my flights based on # of people and weight. Seahawk is best deal for 1500 lbs in one load. All other vary according to less weight or multiple flights.

Consider you weights you budget and call all 5, decide and book. Good luck and have fun!

Wanna fly with the best pilot on the Island?
    Fly with Rolan!!!!

I don't know who this RolanD imposter is, but I am sure Rolan appreciates those who get his name correct....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Should probably make this thread a sticky, every few months the same question comes up and you always get the same answers! I've flown with Andrews and had a great trip, no complaints at all.

Thank you all for the info. I really needed the customer input.

I know Im late but I love Andrews air. They have done two bear hunts and a Elk hunt for the hubby and I. I hate flying and scared to death and those were the best flights I have ever had hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by aktomboy View Post
    I know Im late but I love Andrews air. They have done two bear hunts and a Elk hunt for the hubby and I. I hate flying and scared to death and those were the best flights I have ever had hands down.
    Yep and views are awesome as well. Love Kodiak!!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/