Thread: Fishing upper KP in Mid August

Default Fishing upper KP in Mid August

Have a day to kill in between arriving in ANC and my salt water trips out of Seward. Any suggestions on where to fish in mid August on my way down.
    Was looking at the option of Swanson river for Bows & Dollies or even going over to the Russian, which I have never fished.
    Any suggestions for off time, while in Seward to get some extra fishing in?
    I then head down south to fish the Anchor & Deep crrek for Coho

Mid August is the worst time to fish that area...just kidding. You have tons of options down that way, do you have a particular species you want to target?

Was thinking Bows & dollies. Will get plenty of other action in Seward and fishing coho on the Anchor & such. Get my 40 days in here on the bows in CO., but never bead fish.

Don't know to much about the swanson, but the russian would be an ok choice. What date are you looking at in Aug? I think Aug 20, beads are allowed on the Russian and fishing can be HOT! Flesh also works very well on the Russian. Quartz should have some reds in it by then (a few, might be a little early) and the dollies will be right behind them eating on eggs. Kenai main river will also have plenty of 'bow opportunities.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Going to be on foot so Kenai is probably out. Looking at fishing on 8/17, before my charters in Seward.
    If anyone has info on regs for Russian when beads open please let me know. If not, what is typical fly for bows there? I'm sure they don't want my size 22 midge emergers or WD 40's

I'm almost certain that beads are legal on 20 Aug on the Russian (check ADF&G regs for exact dates). Flesh flies work very well all summer on the Russian. Fish behind the cleaning tables at the confluence with the Kenai and throughout mainstream Russian. Kenain is very doable on foot though so don't count that out. There are many spots to fish the Kenai along the Sterling Highway from foot and don't forget Quartz Creek.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Upper KP in August

Hey Col.F Rodder,
    I fish the Swanson River in my kayak a lot in August.Haven't caught a whole lot of dollies but have had great times playing with a decent population of rainbows.Max at Alaska canoes can rent you a kayak for the day,you drive up Swanson River Road out of Sterling until it dead-ends ,put your boat in ,and have some fun.The water is very calm--you can go up river or down---easy paddling.In mid August there might be a few silvers finning around.PM me and I'll give you a few choice tidbits about what I've discovered there.You might just change your mind about going to the Anchor and/or Deep Creek
    There's adventures waiting Mark

Swanson river in August is fun and productive for bows and silvers.
    pretty quiet water compared to most other streams on the Kenai Peninsula.
    August offers good fishing for trout on the middle kenai river from Skilak down.
    Silvers coming in mid to late august lower down river.
    Quartz creek ... would be a must.
    remember that 2011 is not a humpy year, so much better for getting a chance at an early silver on the Kenai.
    Good fishing
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com