Thread: ATVs and Boats - Best Brands/Models for Alaska Hunting

Default ATVs and Boats - Best Brands/Models for Alaska Hunting

Here's a question for anyone who wants to answer:

If I do decide to get a 4-wheeler, I probably going to go with a Japanese brand... seems to me that you can't really buy a bad Japanese bike. I'm debating between the Yamaha Grizzly 700 4X4 and the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4X4. It seems that the Yamaha is slightly more expensive and less powerful with less towing/carrying capacity and only about 1.5 inches more of ground clearance, but I've gotten some info from Yamaha customers who are thrilled with their bikes. Also, please include any opinions on how useful a four-wheeler is for hunting in Alaska. Last thing... I'm considering getting an inflatable boat with a small outboard. I'd love some input on good brands/models for these, too. What to y'all think? Thanks.

Barron

Are you going to be hauling the motor and deflated boat on the wheeler/trailer?

Probably can't go wrong with either one. I like my 02 Griz 660. The 700s with that power steering, lower center of gravity, new A arms for more clearance looks pretty good. They are made in the USA though. BTW, my 660 has plenty of power, the 700 will be more than enough.

4 wheelers are great for hunting in Alaska. You just need a some good oversize aggressive tires, a clutch kit, a winch a meat wagon! And a goood hunting partner set up to go as well!

Default Honda

I would not trade my Honda Rubicon for any machine in the world when it comes to hunting. Alot of the other brands have more "rip/snort" than the Hondas, but none have proven to be more reliable. You kind of have to decide what you want. Not to say that the Hondas are short on power, but just do not have the "tire roasting" power of some of the others. But they will not leave you stranded.

jdub

Nuff said!!

ATV: Honda
    Boat: Airboat
    For hunting, the combination cannot be beat. Haul the Honda on the Airboat and have a real good hunt. It is easy for a DIY to hunt in this manner. For a few hundred bucks per hunt, excluding the original price, a guy can hunt fairly cheaply. After a couple of years, sell the equipment and get back your money. If you buy and sell them right, you can break even.

Default More wheels!

If you're serious about hauling meat and gear, there's no substitute for wheels. Argos, Polaris Ranger or Sportsman 6x6 will outperform any 4x4. Choice is terrain dependent. Lots of mud and water: Argo. Lots of brush & hills: Sportsman 6x6. Wider trails and a buddy: Ranger 6x6. Although not reccommmended, a Sportsman 6x6 will haul an entire moose in one load if you know how to drive it.

Default These work pretty good

Everythings a trade off. The bigger the rig the more weight when you get stuck etc. The smaller the rig the less you can haul at one time. I'm considering a Rhino. But, they weigh 1000lbs dry. My griz only weighs 600lbs dry. Big difference.

2 Griz sharing the load. 69inch bull. 25 miles out, mostly sloppy gnarly trail.

1 Griz with an entire 40 inch bull in the meat wagon.

Default Meat Wagon

I used to drag one of those around too. I like powered axles better! (6x6)
    Bigger rigs just means bigger winches. 6x6 means less need to use the bigger winch.

I've got a buddy who has a 6x6 Ranger. Pretty nice unit. I've been thinking about a side by side. Be nice for the wifey and I putting around and also to haul moose camp. One other problem though. The bigger the rig the more junk you haul in!! When I went from my 16ft outboard jet to a 22ft inboard I took enough junk up river for a small army!

The Honda Rubicon will pull 850# plus all day long in any temps and any conditions! I know, I do it every year! No overheating, no belts to smoke, direct shaft drive and "power' all the way in low range! Very forgiving when you drown it out, change the oil and be on your way, very important when you make as many solo trips as I do. Not as if I would ever over do it on limitations. I got an average of 6500-7000 miles on three machines in my garage and they are all going strong! Liked them so much I bought a new 2006 in October, hey, if it works, why change? I need a bigger garage!

I have 07' 800 sportsman and a 06' Ranger 6x6 700 and they do what I need them to do. I only use them for hunting season. Synd I know what you're talking about ever since i got the ranger I seem to think i need to bring more junk, and that all it is junk. I've never had any problems with either unit and if I want to go out and just play my 800 with 27 inch mud sharks goes anywhere. My boat is a 06' sea Sport 30' off shore with Twin Volvo D-4 Deisel (cruises @24 knots @12 gal. per hour). This is the second sea sport we have owned and it's really been a good boat.

Oh ya boats! Ocean boats are great. Unless you live in the interior. Long drive to the nearest ocean. But, lots of guys do it. A good size (20-24ft) inboard jetboat is a great all around Alaskan boat. You can run rivers to fish and haul moose camp, go to the lake an go water skiing and take it to Valdez halbut fishing. I sold my 22ft Jetline a few years ago. It was great while I had it. Now I just go with my buddy who just bought a new inboard. Another friend has a 27ft (I think) SeaDory. Nice Valdez boat.