Thread: .308 Winchester Ackley Improved

Default .308 Winchester Ackley Improved

has anyone had any experience with this AI ? I am thinking I want to do one but want some feedback or experiences / knowledge for this one - would use 150 & 165 Accubonds / Ballistic Tip

My honest opinion is that the Ackley improvement is for the most part not enough of an improvement to warrant the effort. In 99% of the cases anything killed with the Ackley version would have found itself just as dead with the parent cartridge.

I used to be one for ringing out just a tad more velocity and have done Ackleys on 30-06, 338-06 and 22-250. Of the three the 22-250 was the most practical and showed the most gain through the Chrony. However it didn' t kill anymore coyotes than the plain jain 22-250.

One thing is for certain and that is that you will lessen the value of your gun more than one would think. I sat at table at a gunshow for a whole weekend and watched people pick up the prettiest FN mauser and then once they read the 30-06 Ackley on the barrel they put it down and lost all interest.

We all do our own thing in the gun world and by all means if it's what motivates you right now then go for it......It was about 25 years ago when the Ackley bug bit me and I had it bad, then the old fartitis set in and the need for speed dwindled and now my cartridge selection is well, boring but just as effective!

The main real world difference is supposed to be longer case life and less bolt face pressure but I have never had an AI. My opinion is ,if you want more power get a rifle with a bigger chambering. In your case a 30/06 is a simple answer to a 308AI unless you just have to have a 308AI. I have some guns that mean more to me than they would to most folks.

Boy, there's so little taper in the 308, I'm not sure how much capacity you would gain. I bet you'd get more of a gain with a mag and action long enough to seat the bullets out with the bases to the base of the neck. Of course, with a longer action you could go with an 06. I had a 06 AI for several years and honestly didn't gain 100 fps over standard with most loads. No difference in case life either. I'd expect about the same from a 308.

You're better off saving yourself some money and trouble by just going with a 300 WSM.

Thank you to all for the feedback, it has helped - I think I'll leave the .308's alone and add a 300 WSM to my battery

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    Thank you to all for the feedback, it has helped - I think I'll leave the .308's alone and add a 300 WSM to my battery
    That is exactly what I would do! When ever the reasoning leads to "dang now I gotta buy a new gun" then the right choice was made