Thread: Running from Haines to Juneau

Default Running from Haines to Juneau

Pondering the possibility of running from Haines to Juneau this summer and wondering what typical water conditions are like in Lynn Canal? The area seems fairly protected, are conditions similar to Port Wells (2-3ft average summer day)? Any good/bad experiences to share?

I bought my boat (27' Seasport Pilot) in Juneau and ran it up to Haines. We got a late start and had to go around Douglas Island. They were calling for small craft advisory that afternoon and there were 3-4' swells getting over to Lynn Canal. Lynn Canal was choppy (1-2') but not bad. There was a big tide swing and we were just getting into Haines about 1 hour before low tide. The worst part was going through the narrows just before Haines, very fast tide with standing waves that would build in front of you. For the most part if you just pick a day where the weather forecast is good you should have no problem. Great scenery along the way, enjoy!

watch the weather, listen to the updated forcasts...the windiest place is usually eldred rock. the canal doesn't have swells it's chop. fished there for 17 yrs let me know if you need more info...some great scenery & places to duck-into if you plan it right

Quote Originally Posted by buffalob View Post
    Pondering the possibility of running from Haines to Juneau this summer and wondering what typical water conditions are like in Lynn Canal? The area seems fairly protected, are conditions similar to Port Wells (2-3ft average summer day)? Any good/bad experiences to share?
    Great trip, have done before. I spent a lot of time in lynn canal when I lived in Juneau. Some good halibut spots along the way. PM if you want and I'll share what I know. A trip to Berners bay when the hooligan run is something everbody should see.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Thanks for all the input! Hopefully I can make the time to get down there this summer.