Thread: Shed season !

Default Shed season !

Im not sure how many of you are into the anual shed antler seasons, but the moose are busy looseing their antlers now, ive been out looking and following seaveral bulls, and a lot of bulls only have 1 antler. I have found 5 antlers as of this morning, and tucked one small bull with one antler in today, sure he will lose it today! This activity makes for a fun time its like hunting, but no long meat hauls, so if you get a chance to get out even if its not far, check out the areas moose are in this week and you may find one. some bulls still have both, and it is different in each area, but keep a eye open, till we get a good snow fall, you couldnt ask for better weather for shed antler hunting. my buddy even found one in mid town achorage at the movie theature? guess the bull was in the parking lot and lost it? You may even make a few bucks if you dont want em carvers buy em or list em on ebay, could pay for gas on a snowgo outing? Or if there big send me a PM..lol happy shedding!

Yep, I've been out looking. Have seen bulls with zero antlers, one antler, and both antlers in my little search area but no sheds found yet. I try to keep tabs on all bulls I see in that little area this time of year though it's a bit tough when my daylight searching is restricted to weekends. You're right, great weather for searching lately and a great way to keep busy during winter.

Yesterday I was out and saw two bulls with one antler. How soon do the typically loose the second one after the first drops?

It can vary from bull to bull, but if i see one with only one antler ill spend more time in the area i last seen him. If its a big bull, hell lose it within a day, smaller bulls will hold em for up to a week. weather can make a difference as well, if its warm like it been, they move more and the pestals seam to break off easy, not sure if there is any facts to support it but i think it speeds up the deteriation of the cells, or that the new antlers are coming in, from the increase in food concumption from moveing and feeding more. every bull has a different start date for new antler growth, but it all usauly starts within the same month for all of em. if i find a good bull and he has 1 still one, ill tuck him in if i can, watch him till he heads to bed down for the day, they allways move and are never there when you go back but it gives you a head start in trying to figure out his movement. keep in mind it isnt a easy sport, its like finding a needle in a hay stack, they can lose em any where any time, it takes persistance and time, but there is no better way to learn about the game youre shed hunting for.