Thread: ATV costs

Default ATV costs

Coming to AK from lower 48. Should I buy a new wheeler before coming up or purchase a new one in AK? How much $$ will I save?

Cheers,

BR

I would buy one before you came up provided your state does not have sales tax. When I was pricing new Suzuki King Quads and Arctic Cat 700's I found them about $1,000 cheaper on Ebay from dealers in the lower 48 than they were around the Anchorage area.
    If you can find a great deal and can skip the sales tax and have it shipped here for nothing go for it.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I would buy one before you came up provided your state does not have sales tax. When I was pricing new Suzuki King Quads and Arctic Cat 700's I found them about $1,000 cheaper on Ebay from dealers in the lower 48 than they were around the Anchorage area.
    If you can find a great deal and can skip the sales tax and have it shipped here for nothing go for it.
    Shipping to AK is a real butt kicker. Most Alaskans on this forum know the frustration of living on Pluto--thats the way folks treat an Alaskan come shipping time.....Buy the sucker on ebay while in the 48 like wolfe said and get it and bring it with you...
    Fwiw,,,I bought two in Canada in '02--the dollar was very strong and I saved about $2400 on two machines.
    The US buck has since waned though.... not worth the hassle with duty....

Frank

i just moved up here at the beginnning of january, i was having the same dillemma. what ends up really hurting, as was stated, is the shipping. if you're going to be on the road system, and you have the time, you should be able to get it here on a truck for relatively inexpensive. the quotes i was getting to get one into the bush from wisconsin were between two and three thousand dollars.

where are you moving to? might be able to get a better response if we knew specifically where you were going, and when, as it's quite a bit cheaper to move it on a barge versus air freight.

There are quite a few for sale in Alaska just check out some of the other classifieds.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/

http://eielsonforsale.com/?content=viewposts

Used stuff fetches a real premium up here too. Everything from 4wheelers to boats. Example my brother who's still back in Michigan just baught a 4 year old boat with the motor and trailer for $1500.00 I've seen virtually the same boat up here for anywhere from $3000.00-5000.00 and $500 4 wheelers/boats that run dont exisit up here, dime a dozen in Michigan.