Thread: Fly out ice fishing pointers?

Default Fly out ice fishing pointers?

Hey bush pilots, I recently got back into ice fishing and have been trying out new spots. I have tried many of the lakes from figure 8 over to Hewitt lake and had a blast learning new spots to fish. I enjoyed learning about pike but I want to try some spots for rainbows, lakers and burbot. I thought I would post on here and see if anyone had any flyout fishing spots they don't mind sharing. So far, my winter plan is to spend some time over at Coal creek lake, hiline lake, Judd lake and trinity lake. I would expect those lakes to have rainbows (if anything at all) No idea how to fish those lakes but gonna give it a try anyway. If you have any I should add to my list or have pointers on those lakes and donít mind sharing, send me a PM.
    Thanks

You might give a thought to going north, too. Black Lake (really green as grass) up in the Upper Su - Mt. Watana area is good for lake trout. Farther north is Kelly Lake, great for burbot and grayling. Both Watana and Rock Lake might have burbot, too. All this is just about thte northern limit for rainbows.

The lower end of Upper Russian Lake should get you some rainbows, as would both the upper end and the huge bay midway down the lake at the Lower Russian.

If you want some northern pike, try the first lake on the right after passing Lake Creek while headed upstream over the Yentna.

Grizzly, you referring to bulchitna lake? There are ok numbers of pike in there, certainly not hot. Try shell lake up between sqwentna and yetna rivers, good pike there! I know lake loiuse has descent lakers, but I have heard it has had alot of pressure lately with poeple not complying with the limits!

Thanks Grizzly1!! Really apreciate the pointers! I will look into those lakes and see what I can learn and then give them a try. I think the next time I fish for pike it will be in the fairbanks area where the monsters live but thanks for the tips. I hear burbot are good eating so I would like to try for some while I am exploring. Thanks very much for the tips!

Thanks TBLOOMA! I hear the same thing for lake louise and it is just huge so I am intimidated to try up there. This year I am going to try local/remote. In the future, I will venture out further from home. My 2 year old fishing buddy is great for day trips but he's not ready for overnighters just yet. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    Grizzly, you referring to bulchitna lake? There are ok numbers of pike in there, certainly not hot. Try shell lake up between sqwentna and yetna rivers, good pike there! I know lake loiuse has descent lakers, but I have heard it has had alot of pressure lately with poeple not complying with the limits!
    No, Bulchitna Lake lies near the confluence of Lake Creek and the Yentna River. Black Lake liies northeast of Mount Watana and just east of the Upper Susitna River. Kinda the back door to Lake Louise.

The very best shallow water lake trout are on the west side of the Alaska Range and near Turquoise Lake. You'd never find the spot without a mark on the proper Sectional. Really a Super Cub lava cinder bed or ski/float trip.

TBLOOMA is right, bulchitna lake has very few pike or anything else for that matter. i think grizzly1 is referring to the fish lakes system which empties into the yentna about a mile above the mouth of lake creek. there are 3 or 4 lakes connected by a series of short creeks. most of those lakes have decent but not great pike populations(and the occasional burbot) and are fished regularly by the people with cabins on those lakes. most of those lakes therefore have ski strips on them in the winter but i'm not too sure how territorial the cabin owners are about those strips. i think some of the fish lakes cabin owners are on this forum so they could chime in on that. so far nobody has mentioned alexander lake which has the biggest pike population of any lake i've seen in the lake creek/skwentna area.

Thanks Lakecreek. I focused on pike last year and fished most of those lakes over the course of the winter. I had lots of fun but the plan for this year is to fish for Lake trout, rainbow and some burbot. Guess I am heading norht for that.
    Thanks for all the pointers and keepumcomin.

Grizzly, I might have to have you MAKE a mark on my sectional so I can try this out!!! Pike don't impress me, ALL trout get my blood flowing, so I would love to try this area out. I got a 185 with fluidine 3600 skiis on it, would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    1 small group of subsistence thugs took a lot of fish. It appears to be under control now. Most of the people that ice fish the LL area know that if they ruin the resource it will take years to repair.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by lakecreek View Post
    TBLOOMA is right, bulchitna lake has very few pike or anything else for that matter. i think grizzly1 is referring to the fish lakes system which empties into the yentna about a mile above the mouth of lake creek. there are 3 or 4 lakes connected by a series of short creeks. most of those lakes have decent but not great pike populations(and the occasional burbot) and are fished regularly by the people with cabins on those lakes. most of those lakes therefore have ski strips on them in the winter but i'm not too sure how territorial the cabin owners are about those strips. i think some of the fish lakes cabin owners are on this forum so they could chime in on that. so far nobody has mentioned alexander lake which has the biggest pike population of any lake i've seen in the lake creek/skwentna area.
    We used to land at Bulchitna and then walk overland through the trees to a high bank aboer Lake Creek. Slide down the bank and fished for rainbows there in Lake Creek. The trip through the trees was only about 200-yards, as I remember it.