Thread: SwIfT a FrAmE

Default SwIfT a FrAmE

im debating on either using swift a frame or barnes ttsx

on the barnes side the ttsx got a better bc then the a frame
    and on the aframes side is that they never fail i havent been able to find a post some where where they dident like the a frame but i have read that the barnes failed to expand

can you show me pictures of recoverd swift a frame and barnes ttsx or tsx bullets

All I can say is years ago when the X bullet was loaded by PMC I had a 308 win that loved them in 165 gr. I shot 15 - 20 deer and a few hogs with them and every one was a pass through no matter what angle so I don't know if they expand but they will **** sure penatrate!

Chris

After much research I decided on the Swift A Frames 4 my upcoming BB hunt. Not sure what you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    can you show me pictures of recoverd swift a frame and barnes ttsx or tsx bullets
    Use the search function luisss. There are lots of pictures of recovered expanded Barnes bullets, both on this site, and all over the web.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Swift A-Frame is what I use. I have seen mixed results with barnes. Both A Frame and Scirocco have never let me down.

Default Just One Man's Experience

I shot a ram and a goat this year with 140 gr A-frame hand loads through a 270 Win. I recovered a bullet from the goat but not the ram. It weighed in at 115.5 gr and mushroomed out to a max of .524 inch. That's 82% retention.

I also reload Barnes Triple Shock's in a 300 win mag. I've only killed one dink grizz with it and didn't recover the bullet. So I have nothing to help you in that respect.

I doubt this was helpful, but you asked and I had the bullet laying around. The question is, is it worth the extra cost for a bonded "premium" bullet? I don't know, I decided if they hit where I want, they'll kill. Bonded or not. Some will argue on here that it has to be bonded to kill moose or brown's. You may be of that crowd. That's cool. I've also met a hunter that's killed all of his moose and brown/grizz with Core-lokt's.

Nobody's paying me to back their product, so it would have to blow my socks off for me to plug anything. There's way too much horn blowing going on. How am I supposed to know what's truly a good product?

If I were you, I'd buy a box of each and hunt with the one that your gun shoots best.

Just as the title states, this is one man's experience, so knowing that, take from it what you will.

P1090039.jpgP1090040.jpg

You're missing some things. What cartridge? What bullet weight? What animals?

Brett

Not sure why my previous image disappeared.

its in a 338 win mag and on moose to deer and black bear wuld a 225 gr swift a frame expand on deer sized game? and have some one recoverd the swift a frame from a moose? in a 338 i like to recover bullet becaus i belive in energy transfer and finding the bullet on the off side.

How many threads are you going to start on this subject? Is it five now?

You seem to have your mind made up that barnes bullets do not work so go spend your money on whatever bullets you seem to think will work and stop wasting everyone elses time.

Yes Swift A frames are great bullets.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Do you know how much kinetic energy a given bullet imparts to an animal if it exits at half its original speed? Answer - it's way more than half. Don't get hung up on recovering bullets - that's a fool's errand.

For whatever reason, people also get really hung up on retained weight. A bullet shedding weight is a bullet that is destroying a bunch of vital tissue via secondary missles shed from same.

A 338 is a pretty forgiving chambering. It's not hot enough to require a "premium" bullet for any duty, and it is not near hot enough to run monolithics (barnes, etc.) in .

Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    im debating on either using swift a frame or barnes ttsx

on the barnes side the ttsx got a better bc then the a frame
    and on the aframes side is that they never fail i havent been able to find a post some where where they dident like the a frame but i have read that the barnes failed to expand

Any good bullet will do the job. Just find one that shoots pretty good in your rifle and quit worrying about crap like bc's. No sense debating anything until you work up a load and try one.
    Spend some more time at the range practicing off hand shooting instead

Personally, if my rifles shoot Nosler Partitions well I stop there and buy a nice supply of "seconds". Bullets have become very good over the last couple of decades and are not as much a concern as they used to be. Caribou sized animals and under Hornady's work just fine as long as many other brands.
    Tennessee

I've used both in my 338, I prefer the A frames, All animals shot with it dead, same for the Barnes. All complete pass thru's. Shot Caribou and Moose with em, nothing to recover. A frames just shoot smaller groups out of my gun. With that round, in 225 grains, either will do just fine. Heck even Nosler Partitions are great... I use all three with much sucess. (well as much as I can brag about anyhow)

BOTH brands of bullets are worthless IF your rifle or you can't shoot them into a 9'" group at 100 yards. OR if you are unable to control your rifle in some extremely adverse conditions and non-benchrest positions in weather which may fail to co-operate. The proper placement of a store bought Remington Cor-Lokt bullet on a game animal would be much prefered, versus a catastrophic miss and hitting the wrong animal,or a shoot through and hitting 2 animals. IF you reload as I suspect this thread entails, pick a bullet which let's you practice a lot. As a practiced shooter has a much better chance of bringing home his intended trophy, regardless of caliber or bullet used.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Although I disagree with your theory of the benefits of recovering your bullet I do agree with your choices of bullets as they both have great terminal performance on game. Given that both are great on game you only need to figure out which works best in your gun. I have owned my .338 for about 14 years and the 225gr A frame is by far and away the best shooter. I found this after some other .338 shooters pointed me in that direction. That said, I haven't shot the newer Barnes out of this gun. Testing premium bullets is a bit expensive and it is hard to justify when the A frame shoots 1" groups at 100. I have shot a few moose, sheep and whitetail deer with it and never recovered a bullet. The Barnes can be a bit finicky as to seating depth. I have a brother trying to get the Barnes to work in his 7mm-08 and he is finally beginning to have some luck by changing how deep he seats his bullets but this has been after much experimentation. Bottom line is if you are shooting commercially loaded ammo, just choose what shoots better. If you are a reloader, you may have to work to get the Barnes to shoot.

how do u think the swift a frame would do in the 338 on smaller game like deer with a 250 gr bullet i now its not necesery but it would be easier then finding another load would they expand?

I don't believe there would be a significant amount of expansion on a whitetail regardless of range or launch velocity and I wouldn't plan on recovering the bullet, even with a Texas heart shot. I do know for a fact that there is enough energy available to harvest said whitetail even without expansion as I've used .338 250 gr Barnes solids on whitetails and wild hogs. A little expensive but it was to prove a point to my dad, he believed if it didn't expand it wouldn't kill effeciently. I however didn't recover any of the bullets; LOL !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have a friend who hunts exclusively with a .338 ultra mag and shoots 250g A-frames. He has killed plenty of blacktails with them. I also just read an in-depth article, although I can't remember where I read it, on bullet expansion. Supposedly, projectiles do almost all of their expansion immediately upon entering game, aside from encoutering large bones and such, which will have a tendency to deform further. Both of these A-frames were recovered from an elk under the hide on the opposite side of the shot after going through the shoulder. I weighed them out, and if I remember correctly they both had around 95% weight retention. They were 180g bullets out of a 300wsm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In a 338 you could should a 250 gr chunk of lead at a deer and it would fall. With any animal shot placement is infinitly more important than bullet selection. In reality you're comparing apples to apples here. Everyone has there opinion but it really comes down to what shoots best in your gun. Many animals died before the modern advances in bullets. Good luck.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.