Thread: Prepping for the 2011 season

Default Prepping for the 2011 season

The fiancÚ and I found that we absolutely love blackstone bay out of Whittier. We have a decent spot for shrimping there but would like to find some small halibut 20 or os lbs around there. Can anyone help? We caught some off of ester rock and knight island last year but would like to try to find some closer.

Ideas, tips and/or suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    The fiancÚ and I found that we absolutely love blackstone bay out of Whittier. We have a decent spot for shrimping there but would like to find some small halibut 20 or os lbs around there. Can anyone help? We caught some off of ester rock and knight island last year but would like to try to find some closer.

Thanks!
    I don't want you to think you're being totally ignored here. Don't know why no one has answered you yet. I know there are a lot of people that fish that area regularly. Unfortunately I don't know that area very well. I've fished a couple of times in the Ester Rock and Knight Island area myself with no luck, so I can't help you there. If you decide to come to Homer instead I'd be HAPPY to help you out there! Good luck!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Thanks!
    I trust you are probably following the Whittier Halibut thread. While I launch out of Whittier a lot, I've never stopped in Blackstone, always blew right by it. Perhaps I'll do a little exploring in there this year. Wouldn't mind saving a little on fuel.

Thanks!
    My fishing results in PWS have been that the fishing starts to be good around the N end of Knight Island, and it gets better the further out I head. Not saying the occasional fish can't be caught closer in, but the catching is very slow. I also have found that if nothings bitten within 20-30 minutes, it's time to try a different spot.

You can certainly get into good to great shrimping relatively close to the harbor, but for fishing, be prepared to burn some fuel.

There is talk of dragging the boat to Homer to load up on Halibut. We've never taken the boat out of Homer and it's sure a long drive from Wasilla, but I guess we're going to burn fuel one way or another...

Homer is defninately the place for halibut if you want them consistently close in.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

There is talk of dragging the boat to Homer to load up on Halibut. We've never taken the boat out of Homer and it's sure a long drive from Wasilla, but I guess we're going to burn fuel one way or another...
    That's seems to be the catch/22 for fishing in southcentral. You either burn gas in your truck, or your boat, but to get to the fish, you're going to have to burn the gas.

I've found Seward is a good compromise, but you still have to run out a ways to get into the fish.

On a good day would a 20' open boat work for halibut out of Homer??? How many miles should one expect to travel from the harbor to catch halibut? I have all the safety gear. I travel 70 miles off shore from Oregon in my 34' boat.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    On a good day would a 20' open boat work for halibut out of Homer??? How many miles should one expect to travel from the harbor to catch halibut? I have all the safety gear. I travel 70 miles off shore from Oregon in my 34' boat.
    A 20' boat is fine for catching halibut in Homer, or even closer you can launch at deep creek. At deep creek there is a tractor launch and they require you to have guide on's/bunks on your trailer. The downside to the tractor launch is price, not sure how much any more, but I heard it was in the 60 dollar range.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    I used to fish with a 16 ft. Hewescraft Riverrunner out of Homer all the time and just watched the weather. A 20 ft. open boat would be fine if you know how to read the weather patterns and are careful about it. You'll see them out there all the time.

I have a favorite spot that is only about 12 miles from the end of the Spit. You're going to catch mostly chickens in the 15 to 30 pound range, but I did pull a number of 50 to 60 pounders out of that spot, too. There are other places within about 20 minutes from the Spit where I've caught 50 pounders. And if you just head out toward Iliamna from the Spit you'll see boats anchored up all over the place fishing for halibut. You're not going to catch any "monsters", but you can catch a lot of good eating halibut and have a wonderful day catching them until your arms are about to fall off.

There are also some pretty big halibut that hang out in and around the kelp beds north of The Bluffs and often times you can catch them in no more than about 30 ft. of water. It's less than 20 miles from the Spit. You just have to be careful going into the kelp (fouls up your motor pretty easily) and it can eat up a lot of gear if you're not careful.

If you're looking to get to "barndoor" and ling territory you can expect to go a good 50 miles or so out near the Chugach Islands (Elizabeth and Perl area), or over to the Barrens. You could do it in that boat, but if things kick up at all while you're out there it could be a bit uncomfortable, or even dangerous getting back home. Going to the Barrens means crossing some pretty wide open water.

Like "Muttley", I fished all over K-Bay in a 18' open boat, 35 hp engine. On nice days you will see all manner of boats out there. I personally wouldn't leave the bay in an open boat, and definitely wouldn't venture out to the "Barrens". I don't even like going there with my current boat (Kingfisher 2825), but that's just me.

Sounds like a few days in Homer is in order.

What's it like down there? Just want some chickens to fill the freezer...

In my opinion, Homer has the best close in halibut fishing there is for a major port on the road system. I have enjoyed all my trips there.

Sounds like a few days in Homer is in order.

What's it like down there? Just want some chickens to fill the freezer...
    Homer is one of the most beautiful places in Alaska in my opinion and, in my opinion, has the best fishing opportunities both salt water and fresh water with the Anchor, Deep Creek, Ninilchik, Kasilof and the Kenai all within an easy drive.

And if all you want are chickens you can catch decent sized fish no more than about 15 to 20 minutes out from the end of the Spit. I've even heard of people catching them closer in. That to me is the beauty of fishing here. I have a spot I go to that takes me 20 minutes to go to, I've caught halibut as big as 60 or so pounds there and routinely limit my clients on 20 to 30 pounders. And then it's about 5 miles in to the Bluffs where you can troll for kings and catch a limit of black rockfish, too. Seward has some great fishing opportunities, but I really think Homer and K-bay has much better "close in" opportunities suitable for smaller boats.

So I know you're suppose to fish tides for halibut but out of homer, is it as critical or can halibut be picked up when ever there?

Thx

Dan