Thread: Running 4 Downriggers

Default Running 4 Downriggers

Wondering if any of you run 4 downriggers off your bigger boats? How does that work for you? Any issues with tangles? I'm getting ready to install 2 more downriggers on my big boat. It's got a 14ft beam. I hate stacking..

On our 30'x11' cat we troll 4 down riggers all the time with no problem. With that large of beam you'll be able to spread the downriggers way out, shouldn't be any problem at all. I see some really large boats (65'+) out Seward troll four downriggers during silver season.
    Boatless

You have more than enough room!

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    On our 30'x11' cat we troll 4 down riggers all the time with no problem. With that large of beam you'll be able to spread the downriggers way out, shouldn't be any problem at all. I see some really large boats (65'+) out Seward troll four downriggers during silver season.
    Do you guys vary ball weight? Like heavier on the outsides and lighter balls in the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I hate stacking..
    I hate it with inexperienced fisherman.....I hear you on not doing it though....sometimes it is a nightmare. I think even with a 14 foot beam it might be tenuous but have no first hand knowledge on that. I suppose if you could run different lengths out, different depths and never turn the boat you might be ok. So much for Pony cove.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Do you guys vary ball weight? Like heavier on the outsides and lighter balls in the inside?
    snicker, snicker, giggle giggle...
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I hate it with inexperienced fisherman.....I hear you on not doing it though....sometimes it is a nightmare. I think even with a 14 foot beam it might be tenuous but have no first hand knowledge on that. I suppose if you could run different lengths out, different depths and never turn the boat you might be ok. So much for Pony cove.....LOL
    I'm an 11" flasher guy. The blow back from 2 11" flashers with a 10# ball at the depths I like to fish is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    You have more than enough room!
    I guess i should have asked how deep you are going to fish. On the great lakes i fished 4with no problems at all on a boat with a 7ft beam and down to 120ft. two out the side with longer booms and two out the back. I would also run two dipsey divers so we had 6 lines out

I haven't done it myself, but spent a day on a boat with 4. He had two on the stern and one on each corner. The two on the corners had long extension booms so he got really decent spread. He ran 20# flatties rather than balls on the middle two and 10# flatties on the outside. He also didn't have as much line running back from the snaps on the inner two. Never a tangle, and he made some surprisingly tight turns.

Thanks. I have two Penn Fathom Masters for the middles, and two Cannon Mag's with booms that extend way out for the sides. Makes sense to put the heavies in the middle, now that I'm thinking about it.

Go find a Lake Michigan fishing forum and read up on some of their salmon trolling techniques. Those guys all run 4 downriggers, somtimes with as much as 160 feet of cable out. Throw in a couple of dipsy divers, maybe a pounder rig on wire and some 'birds on the surface. I've fished with an 18 foot private boat running as many as 9 lines and charters with as many as 15. When you can run 3 lines per person, you learn how to make some things work. Theres a lot that can be learned.

With your beam and the extended booms on those cannons that's plenty enough room to run 4 downriggers. I would just use regular 15 pound lead round balls. I tried the lighter/heavier method and didn't like the angle I was getting. It seems to me that tangles only really occur when you are checking/running gear and making tight turns. I like to set my stern gear at the deepest depths and outside gear at the shallower depths, but I don't think it matters as long as you set the deepest gear first and work in order to the shallowest. Avoid tight turns and you'll be fine.