Thread: Caves in Alaska........? Seen ANY......? Know of any....?

Default Caves in Alaska........? Seen ANY......? Know of any....?

In all my years of wandering Alaska two of the things I have never seen is a Black Bear in a tree. Or found one good cave. Old mines, yes. Shallow caves along the ocean, Yes. But never one good cave. Is there a book or website about Alaska Caves......? Yes I know Black Bears do climb trees, but having seen thousands of Black Bears, it is odd never one in a tree.

I had heard that POW was full of Real Caves, did a short search, found this, about El Capitan Cave on NW Prince of Wales, (Largest known cave in Ak)

(On your knees) Southeast Cave Reveals Clues to Ancient Alaska
    by Ned Rozell
    This article is provided as a public service by the Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, in cooperation with the UAF research community. Ned Rozell is a science writer at the institute.
    While exploring a cave in Southeast Alaska a few years ago, Tim Heaton found the leg bones of a large brown bear and a black bear. He expected the bones to be like others in the area-fossils from animals that lived about 10,000 years ago-but these bears were different. Radiocarbon dating showed they lived about 40,000 years ago...... (more)

from this website, http://www.cabinsinalaska.com/caves.html

Sure Sounds interesting doesn't it,
    Any of the POW guys been inside there, or others ??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Kodiak is correct, lot's of large caves and karsts on POW. My son and I found one a few years back while hunting it wasn't huge, but we crawled around in it a bit.

POW is the place to go caving, El Capitan is opened by the forest service and you have to be there at the right time to get to go inside. I think the summer is the best time to find it open, I have be in the area in April and May and it was closed. It is a long drive from the ferry terminal to get to the cave. Many other caves found just hiking around the island.

Has anyone ever seen a cave in south central Alaska......?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    In all my years of wandering Alaska two of the things I have never seen is a Black Bear in a tree. Or found one good cave. Old mines, yes. Shallow caves along the ocean, Yes. But never one good cave. Is there a book or website about Alaska Caves......? Yes I know Black Bears do climb trees, but having seen thousands of Black Bears, it is odd never one in a tree.
    i know of some caves in PWS area, but for the bears, i never seen one in a tree until I started sitting in them looking for them... then it was MY tree they wanted in...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ive seen the black bear in the tree, but never a cave in South central...I'm sure they're out there somewhere though...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i know of some caves in PWS area, but for the bears, i never seen one in a tree until I started sitting in them looking for them... then it was MY tree they wanted in...
    Guess they like the way your Butt smells..........Hehehehehe

Caves are all over SE Alaska. That's also where I've seen the most bear in trees. I've seen a bunch of black bear in trees around Girdwood..
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Two years ago I took the train to Seward and we saw a few bears up in trees. They also like to climb moutain ash trees and eat the berries. Sorry, the only caves I know of are on POW.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

There is a small cave right next to the hwy. just past Kings River (North side) in the rock wall. My buddy shot his bear out of a tree last spring with his bow in PWS.....

Do I win anything?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    There is a small cave right next to the hwy. just past Kings River (North side) in the rock wall. My buddy shot his bear out of a tree last spring with his bow in PWS.....

Do I win anything?
    I think dot filled the cave at king river. It went in about 50 ft but I have not seen it in a couple years.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I think dot filled the cave at king river. It went in about 50 ft but I have not seen it in a couple years.
    Bummer...that was a neat little hole to crawl in to.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I know of one cave in the SE, but it ain't exciting. About the first 50' of it are hikeable if you don't mind wading, then after that you'd have to be a fish to see the rest. From what I can tell it formed when a creek managed to bore a hole through a large hunk of limestone or something. The current was pretty strong.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Wolfeye, would you care to share the location. I know a few fish that love limestone and flowing water.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Wolfeye, would you care to share the location. I know a few fish that love limestone and flowing water.
    He clearly stated SE....

DUHhhhhh
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."