Thread: Looking for small amount of Frog Spit or Steelflex Super Slick Epoxy

Question Looking for small amount of Frog Spit or Steelflex Super Slick Epoxy

Hey guys,

I know many of you use poly on the bottom of your air boats, but I'm hoping someone might have a little Frog Spit or Steelflex Super Slick Epoxy left over. I have a little fiberglass duck boat called a Marsh Rat that's starting to show some wear from dragging it to and from my launching spots. Using Poly is not an option for me. I'm hoping I can find someone who has a little left over so I don't have to buy a whole gallon, just to have 7/8 of a can sitting on my shelf when I'm done. The boat is 9'6" long by 42" wide and I just need to coat the boat 2/3rds so were talking about less then a quart here.

Shoot me a PM if you have any suggestions on getting a small amount.

Thanks,

Erich in Juneau

Have you tried Paul at Simpco Welding? I think he used to be fond of that stuff under his airboats.

No, I haven't. I'll give him a call.

I did call Charley at Valley Paint (super nice guy) and he was checking around, but I haven't heard back from him in almost a month.

Erich

Call Airboats "R" us in eagle River When I was looking at his boats and he swears by it... If i wouldf of went with that stuff I'd be boatless
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Well, I've called around and still not found anyone with access to a small amount of epoxies mentioned above or a similar product.

Called Simpco and they directed me to Jeff at "The Boat Doc". Very knowledgeable guy, but he has never used a slick bottom epoxy. He does epoxy boats for a living and re-gel coats kayaks all the time.

I called Airboats R us in Eagle River and he sells his own slick bottom epoxy but he only has 3:1 gallon cans at the moment (sells for $275 each). He mixes new batches only a couple times a year so I'll get a hold of him later when "the water gets soft again" as he put it. He will sometimes make a 1 quart set that should cover about 40 sf for $100. This looks like by best option at the moment.

His proprietary product is a one-time batch use. You mix all of the components together and have 4 hours to apply it, so that might explain why no one has any extra left over. I don't know if Frog Spit or Steelflex are the same way.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,

Erich

Might try Classic Airboats site. They have Quickslick I think.

Start a thread on Southern Airboat asking about it, they will get back to you quickly. Just need to pay the shipping, shouldn't be to bad for a small can. Bud

Success! I called Fasco first thing this morning (they're in Florida) and talked with Jerry. They sell quart cans of their Steelflex Super Slick Epoxy for $31 plus shipping. They have the normal colors and even OD Green. A quart will cover 30 sf, so it's perfectly sized for my application.

Their new formulation can go on in one application. I'm going to wait until the summer so I can make room in my garage to get the boat in. It needs to be above 70 F to apply.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Erich