Thread: Pure luck and one moose down.

Default Pure luck and one moose down.

Started off the morning at 9 to get up arctic valley the gate was closed and had to waited around for the MP's to open up the gate. I drive up to the spot and parked and walked in about a 1000 meters and worked down another 600 meters on slow spot and stalk. As I was moving down I look down and there are fresh tracks and a fresh bedded down area. I thought to myself there is going to be one down there stay alert. I work my way down along the tracks for another 100m's looking to my left then out the corner of my eye I see 1 moose and another and another all shooters. I was about 60 yards out from my first laze So I knocked an arrow and put my bow on top of my head and started grunting like a bull the moose and started my way towards them hugging the trees going down they were not even spooked just looked up and went back to browsing the cow steps five feet into a clearing and I knew I was close as I was going to get about 15-20 yards at most. Calmed my breathing down and took a well placed shot put at center mass punched all the way through to where my vains were barely hanging out. She ran 10 feet up circled around me and laid down right in front of me at 7 yards away. I knocked another arrow hoping she wouldnt get back up again as soon as I saw her lay her head down I knew it was over. I wasnt going to stick another one in her and have her run further down the gorge it would of been hell to get her out. I just sat and watched and let nature take its course a few minutes later lights out. Packing was a breeze found a trail and slid out all the cuts on two large sleds. Thanks to my buddy matt. I apreciate it man. From start to finish we were at the vehicle at 6pm. Moose was shot at 1145. I had to get out and meet the Natural resources guy and get all the paperwork done and tried getting my vehicle down. That was a lost cause so I left it and said I will get it in the morning it would be safer that way. I got all my gear together and hiked back in to my moose started skinning around 130 out by 6 on the
    road.

I would like to thank Don P. for allowing my to have this opportunity and Thanks Matt T. for all the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

tools of the trade bowtech Destroyer 350, Easto Axis, and 100 grain slick tricks they work. Also for the lack of her running was because it was a double lung and cut through an artery.

Thumbs up gr8 first post!

Great writeup thanks for sharing, welcome to the forums here, and really great first post! (+1)

Nawww, That's not Pure Luck,
    Sounds like you knew what you were doing, did it pretty well, Congrats
    Enjoy all that Quick Cooled, Finest Meat in AK, this winter

and yeah, Welcome to the Forums, Great post
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

So I knocked an arrow and put my bow on top of my head and started grunting like a bull the moose and started my way towards them hugging the trees
    Where's the hunting partner with a video cam when you need one...........great story, congratulations.

Well done BenL, welcome and thanks for sharing - great 1st post!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. What's next? Black bear?

Congratulations on the nice moose. I've heard of a number of a hunting tricks before, but putting your bow on your heard to mimick antlers was a new one. That's awesome stuff right there.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Yeah I would have to say Black bear in the spring a me and a buddy of mine want to get some bait stands together. Just do not know good locations yet probably will be scouting in March and April time frame and probably drag in some barrels while the snow is still around. We shall see or I might just do a spot and stalk.

We are also planning a carribou hunt for Aug 11. Then once again for moose in the fall.

Thanks all for all the replys I am still high on adrenaline. Man it feels great the feeling seems to never change after a successful bow hunt.

Way to go. She never knew what hit her.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer