Thread: Practicing casting in winter

Default Practicing casting in winter

I am new to fly fishing and I want to get some practice in but don't know if it is ok to practice during winter. So what do you guys do during winter?

Why the hell would it not be ok?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I go fishing, moving water really helps practice spey casting

it can be cold though...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

this is my first year spey fishing so i need all the practice i can get. i have a membership to the dome here in anchorage and i cast in the center while all the runners huff and puff around the track. i get out and cast there every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Why the hell would it not be ok?
    Well I didn't know what harm if any the snow or ice would have on the equipment, I just didn't know when practicing your casts what would the snow do to the line.

Practice casting on any surface can be pretty tough on lines I'd say astro turf is probably the best, grass is ok too, snow is probably fine especially if its clean/fresh snow. Practice casting will definitely make your lines wear out faster, but it can be worth it, especially if you are new to the game.

Check out echo's micro practice rod... It is really really great for practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    I am new to fly fishing and I want to get some practice in but don't know if it is ok to practice during winter. So what do you guys do during winter?
    Go down to the Kenai in Cooper Landing and practie there on the water. Take some black articulated leeches and some beads with you and you might even catch a fish or two....
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Practice casting on any surface can be pretty tough on lines I'd say astro turf is probably the best, grass is ok too, snow is probably fine especially if its clean/fresh snow. Practice casting will definitely make your lines wear out faster, but it can be worth it, especially if you are new to the game.

Check out echo's micro practice rod... It is really really great for practicing.
    Thanks ak_powder_monkey that looks like what I need, with that in mind I did a quick google search and found this.
    http://www.royalwulff.com/educational.html I thinking I am going to make this and give it a try.

The Wulff practice rod isn't a good template for a casting trainer, in my opinion. There is no "taper" to the yarn line, and as such, it isn't the best feedback tool for a person to improve their loop skills and overall casting with.

The Echo Micro Practice rod is a far better tool for learning casting, advancing your skills, and diagnosing your faults.

Have a look-see here...

Thanks ak_powder_monkey.

Now that is something you don't hear everyday
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

So what do you guys do during winter?
    I drink a fair amount of beer through the winter months to keep my arm and shoulder (and liver) in shape. Short of actually going fishing once in a while, that's about it.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Now that is something you don't hear everyday
    hahahaha, that one made me laugh man!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

hey ask me a question about how to cast or how to tie flies or how to rig something or about gear and I can be pretty dang helpful. Ask me where to fish or what to use and i'll probably tell you to find out for yourself... Like I did...

Well I will keep that first part in mind

Ground casting would be a bit hard on line and practice flies I would think, but if you could get in a gym in the winter with smooth floors, I bet you could get a good feel for the technique of fly casting without too much damage to your equipment. Bet if you got some buddies together interested enough in this, you could rent a Highschool Gym in your area one or two nites a week pretty cheap. You could maybe start a little winter club and get kids involved also. Might take off pretty darn good with the right people running it and making it work.
    Just a thought.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Thats a great idea but I really don't know anyone that likes to fish, kinda have to do it by myself.

Thats a great idea but I really don't know anyone that likes to fish, kinda have to do it by myself.
    Oh well, main thing with fly casting is to watch your line on the back cast and do not cast forward till your line has extended fully back. Forward cast to soon will snap the fly and ruin it in very few casts. If your new to fly fishing, get a good weight forward line and it will help you tremendously on your casts. Just don't snap your line on a cast and bring it forward in a gentle motion. The rod and line will do the rest.
    Good luck!

Check out this YouTube vid on the roll cast. Great cast if you have alot of obstacles behind you. Also many many other help vids on fly casting here too. YouTube is great for anything you want to know about almost anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoBx1pDyFog
    You can go to school on anything for free on YouTube. Good Luck and I know you will enjoy fly fishing.

thanks for the link grizzly going to go out and give this a try tomorrow, i have been trying to get this worked out for a week or so now

There has been a group of guys meeting at the dome in Anchorage on Sat. nights around midnite to cast. Mark Huber, casting instructor has started this last year, don't know if it is still going but I do know it was talked about this winter. Go to http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/flyfish...forum.php?f=19 and ask or search.

It the valley we are trying to get a casting class for the month of Feb through 3 Rivers.

George