Thread: Caribou hunting on Adak in Feb/March

Default Caribou hunting on Adak in Feb/March

Me and a friend are planning on going out to Adak in Febuary or March to hunt Caribou (for meat, not trophy). I've been digging through the threads/posts and there is a lot of information out there about hunting on Adak, which has helped a lot to get the logistics, etc worked out and started. We'll probably rent a place/vehicle/atv for the days we are there and hike out from town or drive if needed/possible (that's the idea now at least). What I haven't found much on is what it's like in Feb/March. Has anyone been out on Adak hunting during the winter months or have heard about anybody who has? Or have any recommendations? Any information would be helpful.

Yes, it's an odd time to go, but it's what our schedules allow..

Thanks for the help!
    Sean

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i have not been there since a kid, but it was a long stretch, average mean temp is about 40 degrees, in the summer it rains, in the winter it rains/snows, rains snows rains snows.. then it will SNOW and then the rain will come back..

the wind blows non stop from all four directions in the winter... some times all at the same time.. we used to get days out of school when was Bravo going Charlie.. but was especially nice to get days out,, because the wind stopped and the sun came out at the same time. very rare those ones.

AK ray is a good one to check into, he has been out there since i left in the 70's
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Lets look through the memories....

In 1981 my Dad moved up to run the power plant and we followed in July 82. Over the winter he sent photos down of what things were like. Blowing snow drifts and then three days later brown grass covered in ptarmigan. The snow never seamed to last more than a few days below 1,000 feet.

Come February 83, when I broke my left ankle in wrestling practice and there is over 100 inches of snow on the ground and it stayed on the ground through March.

So there are the ranges of weather for that time of year. Most the time it will be wet snow that melts off in a few days at the lower elevations.

Plan on the wind being constant and you need to be prepared to be wet the entire time you are outside. The modern materials we have now would have made life as a teenager on the tundra so much more fun. Warm and wet is alright, but cold and wet sucks.

When out on the tundra you will be caught in white outs or fog, so be sure to know how to read a map and use a compass. When visibility is down to 50 yards the place all looks the same. Knowing what the terrain is between you and town and where town is in relation to your location is pretty important. The only time I was ever lost out there was when I let a long time local lead the hike to Hidden Bay. After a hour of walking in a circle in the fog near Gannet Lake I broke out my map despite the ridicule of the local and used what terrain I could see to get us back on the route.

I've been there two years in a row, last year Oct this year late Nov. My guess is they'll be caribou in TOWN at that time of year. That's how many locals hunt them ;-) If snow is heavy, you're not making it too far on anything but a snowmachine. Honestly, there's no way you're walking from town to the hills to hunt caribou, because packing the boo back would be the problem.

These are my recommendations for ATV, Argo, trucks and housing.

LIttle Michael Lodges - lodging, trucks ATVs
    Cyn Galaktionoff

Jack Stewart - He has ARGOS...and lodging - Cyn can hook you up. I'll dig up Jacks # also for you.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I was out there for work last March with a little bou hunting thrown in. There was alot of snow in the hills surrounding town...too much to cover alot of ground on foot and too much to drive wheeled rigs far from town. There had been a group of bou hanging right near town before we got there, but they had moved away after some pressure the week before. We hunted three days in 3 different areas and never saw a bou. Luck of the draw. If there is snow on the ground, might be worth it to try to find a local who will "transport" you or loan you a snowmachine.

One idea is to bring out coolers full of food from anchorage and bring the coolers home full of caribou, even if you dont eat all the food you bring, you will be likely to find someone who can use it. Buying food or equipment in Adak is EXPENSIVE!

Good luck, its a great place, I'm hoping to get back one of these days!!

My avatar picture is me glassing for bou near town last March. Mt. Moffit is the mountain in the background.

My friends and I were thinking of a carbou hunt there in early Sept. Meat and horns. From the sounds of it, not much in the way of horns left there. Still, it would make for a cheap hunt since we have around 3 million air miles to use up and we do like to hunt.

One other thing you might want to do is call one of the outfitters in Adak and ask where the Bou are. I was down there last week and the guide in the airport (if you can call it that) said all the Bou were still on the other side of the island and very hard to get to.

Smile Adak caribou on Outdoor Channel Jan 7th/8th

NOT to be a moron that keeps plugging his little TeeVee show but, this weekend Friday/Saturday on Outdoor Channel will be the Adak episode from last season. For you folks down states (and actually Fairbanks - loved but not forgotten) who haven't seen it yet. Check your local listings for times.

January 7th and 8th

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/Shows/AlaskaOutdoors.aspx

The show was shot late October FYI.

Short clip from the show

Here's the lodging rental info we used. Don't think I can add much more to help...oh...take your own booze! Man...that's expensive!

Jack Stewart = lodging, truck and Argo rental (Argo holds about 4 people)
    Phone: (907) 592-3165

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    One other thing you might want to do is call one of the outfitters in Adak and ask where the Bou are. I was down there last week and the guide in the airport (if you can call it that) said all the Bou were still on the other side of the island and very hard to get to.
    The only outfitter I know of that works Adak is a forum member "WAGS", he might be able to help. Last time I was there in the winter was work related, so no hunting, but the one thing I remember was watching hundreds of Ptarmigan in the backyards of the old housing units. I bet the locals have fun with them in the winter!!

I've been out there a 3 times, but never that time of year. From everyting I've heard, they are on the north side of the island that time of year, but I would want to confirm that with someone local before I went. Cynthia can set you up with a place to stay while you're there. Bring a .22 as well as there are plenty of Ptarmigan. Watch out for eagles if you shoot a caribou. If you leave the carcass unatended before you have taken all you're meat, they will do quite a number on it in an amazingly short period of time. If you put the meat in game bags and move it a short distance away, they don't seem to bother it.

If the caribou are on the north side of the island, it would be a much easier hunt. The down side of going in the winter is the weather could be more of an issue. The flights are on Thursday and Sunday. Most of the time, the flights get in and out, but I wouldn't plan anything really important for a few days after you are scheduled to get back just in case.

I agree that there really isn't much in terms of big bulls. That being said, the quality of the meat is fantastic.

PM me and I will give you my phone # if you want more details.

Thanks for all the information and contacts! It sounds like getting around can be a little difficult and we might be a little dependent on the bou coming in (unless we can find a snow machine). It should be fun either way, I'm looking forward to going. Check on the .22, don't want to miss that if there's some extra time!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanW View Post
    Thanks for all the information and contacts! It sounds like getting around can be a little difficult and we might be a little dependent on the bou coming in (unless we can find a snow machine). It should be fun either way, I'm looking forward to going. Check on the .22, don't want to miss that if there's some extra time!
    Like Wisma stated also, call Cyn, she'll get you set up and, Jack Stewart has the Argos. I'm sure either could put you in touch with a snowmachine. We took a 20 gauge for birds but 22 also be the ticket. Lots n' lots of birds. I would first confirm if the bou are even close by...if nobody the week or so before has had much luck, I'd hold. Can't make them be somewhere their not. Good luck! It's a great hunt. Treat everything there with respect!