Thread: haul road

Default haul road

i plan on going on a bow hunt looking for the best time possible. would like some little horns but nothing big more looking for the meat. any suggestions greatly appreciated. needs to be before aug. 1.

thanks in advance,
    shane

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

looks like march or april, may - july they are all the way north calving and thinking about heading south again sometime in aug. /sept/oct
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It's all determined by the weather and the mosquitos. Like Vince said, if it's warm and the bugs are in full force, the caribou are nowhere to be found on the Dalton. They will hole up by the ocean where the breeze keeps the bugs at bay. However, if a cold spell hits in late July or early August, it's entirely possible for the herd to come south. Not likely though. Better plan on going early or late.

thanks for the advice. it helps make my decision

Can't beat late August. Bulls are still edible and bou are usually near the road.

Quote Originally Posted by breitna View Post
    Can't beat late August. Bulls are still edible and bou are usually near the road.
    Later August is better for hunting, but the later you get, the more you need to be prepared. The weather in late August can be real iffy. One driving trip, we had the road washout in 7 places between the Slope and Fairbanks and had to wait an extra 6 days to make it home. One guy had a baby due and flew home from Prudhoe.

Thinking I'd outsmart the road thing...I flew my plane up there. I got stuck in an ice storm for 4 days. Another year our tent collapsed in the middle of the night from snowload...it was clear skies when we went to sleep.

Just sayin....do all the research you can and go prepared...including prepared to stay extra time. (which is true for most AK hunting).
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

I have hunted April, July and the first and last week in Aug, April is a great time as is the later part of August, be prepared for the worst as mentioned, good luck