Thread: brass lenght

Default brass lenght

I have some 30-06 that Im resizing to make 338-06 brass. I measured the brass after I resized them and noticed that they very from 2.470 to 2.481. My question is, what is an allowable tolerance if I'm not going to crimp. I'm still under the books max length. How close do you get your brass. Do I need to start trimming????

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have some 30-06 that Im resizing to make 338-06 brass. I measured the brass after I resized them and noticed that they very from 2.470 to 2.481. My question is, what is an allowable tolerance if I'm not going to crimp. I'm still under the books max length. How close do you get your brass. Do I need to start trimming????
    If it were me, and I've done exactly this same thing numerous times, I'd trim them all to 2.470 to keep everything together from the beginning. When they hit 2.494 I'd trim them back to 2.484. That's what I've done and it's what I'd do again, given the opportunity.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

+1 for 1Cor15:19 I'm not picky about length until it gets to max as I don't crimp either. Over max length can be dangerous so don't go there but trimming all to the shortest is fine even if under minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    If it were me, and I've done exactly this same thing numerous times, I'd trim them all to 2.470 to keep everything together from the beginning. When they hit 2.494 I'd trim them back to 2.484. That's what I've done and it's what I'd do again, given the opportunity.
    I do the same thing. On new brass I trim them all to the length of the shortest piece after sizing and preping. Once they grow after the first firing, (shoulder gets pushed forward and the OAL is longer) I trim once more to the shortest fire formed piece or .010 under max so they are all the same. It helps to keep all the necks the same length so you have comparable neck tension within that batch of brass.