Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Means of Travel when it Comes to Hunting

Default Your Means of Travel when it Comes to Hunting

I thought it would be interesting to gauge the success of our hunts based on the mode of transportation. I realize the word "success" is subjective when it comes to hunting, but in this context it means the actual killing of an animal. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "trophy book" animal, i.e. the ones just for the freezer count too. Heck, while we are at it, if you went on a hunt and had tag soup, put that down.

Some modes of transportation that first come to mind...

Walking
    ATV
    Snow machine
    Plane
    Motorized Boat
    Canoes, Yaks, Rafts, etc
    Dog Mushing

Feel free to be more descriptive. For example if the plane or boat is chartered or owned, if the ATV is a tracked vehicle, etc.

You can simply list the categories and the animals taken or for added eye candy, post a pic and the mode of travel.

Only Alaska animals count and we'll go back 10 years to 1996 (07 hunting season really hasn't started). You can list any alibis you might have, for instance, if you only moved to the state 3 years ago, are a non-res, etc.

I'll go first...

Moved to the state in 98 and left in 02. I return each season as often as I can; sometimes twice a year, sometimes once...sometimes not at all.

Walking - 1 caribou (3 other caribou hunts - tag soup)
    ATV (Quad) - tag soup on 3 black bear bait stands
    Plane(Air Taxi)/Walk - 1 goat, 2 sheep, 2 brown bear, 1 blacktail (2 sheep
    hunts and one black/brown combo hunt - tag soup)
    Boat (Water Taxi)/Skiff - Brown/Black Combo - tag soup
    Plane(Air Taxi)/Inflatable Raft - moose - tag soup

Default Don't forget horses...

Sonny D (as in duh!) :-)

Heading in...

Coming out...

Tasty forked horn moose on this trip. No pic as he died at sunset and was packed in the dark.

Default Poll

Jimmy, you should reword this and make it into a poll. Just an idea, everyone likes polls.

Tim

Default Pack horses

Just say yes to horses... Only way I wanted to try and pack this out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Horses --The only way to go

In all the years of reading the ODD I have only seem horses mentioned several times. My horse trailer, tack and the two new mules that I am buying this fall will cost me less than a 4 wheeler. Horse and mules have to be feed and cared for year around and I know that it is very expenisve in Alaska.

To the Three Horsemen

No offense to you guys. I was driving into work this a.m. thinking to myself, "I forgot the horses!" I've actually heard a few stories of guys running pack lamas too. Kenaimike & Cornhusker, nice pics...thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Jimmy, you should reword this and make it into a poll. Just an idea, everyone likes polls.

Tim
    Good idea, Tim. Initially, I thought about a poll and then decided against it due to the kill factor. I guess I could make a more "vanilla" poll and just shoot for the primary mode of transportation to and from the field, though I believe this has been done before. Just trying to take it a step further.

No offence taken. Horses are great, and my kids are in 4H and rodeo on them as well. Sometimes I wish I had a snow go, or bigger boat and I just go feed my organic 4 wheelers.

They are H-E-double hockey sticks on flyouts also!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    No offence taken. Horses are great, and my kids are in 4H and rodeo on them as well. Sometimes I wish I had a snow go, or bigger boat and I just go feed my organic 4 wheelers......
    While horses are absolutely great (especially since they can hear and smell better than a wheeler, and ***** their ears to alert you to other entities in the area), you mention one of the drawbacks...............

You've gotta be pumping fuel into them every day or two, all year round, and the "exhaust" has to be shoveled.

As a 4H family ourselves, and still with "hayburners" around here, there is another factor to consider:

Horses are like people in that they come complete with attitudes and the need for exercise. People who dream of saddling up once a year for their annual moose hunt are likely in for a rude surprise............

But if I could annually rent a couple of good steeds in September for a decent rate (along with horse trailer), I'd do it in a heartbeat.

People who dream of saddling up once a year for their annual moose hunt are likely in for a rude surprise............
    That's for sure. It's important to have them because you like them. They are really expensive if only for a couple weeks' hunt.

Mark - PM sent.

Default Jimmy U.

Well Sir.

95 Walk in Moose
    96 Walk in Bou, and walk in Moose
    97 Walk in Bou and walk in Moose
    98 Fly In Sheep, Walk In Bou and Moose passed on Griz
    99 Walk in local Moose
    2000 - Fly In Bou passed on Griz
    2001 - Walk in Bou and Float Moose
    2002 - Fly in Bou passed on Griz and Wolfe
    2003 - Float local , Bou passed on Black bear, and Moose
    2004 - No hunt
    2005 - Float Local Moose

Heck you figured a guy with 20 rafts would be float hunting more often eh! See what happens when you fish for a living your all floated out! I betcha it's good to know someone with floating hunt stands eh! Take care I know that lower 48 weather is killing you.

Moose-O

Walking mostly, but will sometimes use my father-in-laws modified Studebaker M29C. The engine is so quiet that it doesn't spook the moose and with the 1200lb wench and boom it makes packing meat out a breaze, not to mention pulling the odd argo or wheeler out of the slop.
    Chris Willhoite

Default travel

black bear baiting-highway vehicle/atv (many bears)
    sheep hunting-rafting/jetboat (many sheep-if not sheep it is by choice)
    moose-fly in and pack (many moose)about 75% (atv) 100%
    caribou-fly in once (scored) snowmachine/atv (100%)
    grizzly/brown bear atv, boat, highway vehicle moderate success.
    goats-highway vehicle/boat 80% success

Smile Nice

GREAT PICS Kenaimike!!!!!!!!! What's the annual up keep on those things as far as feed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    Sonny D (as in duh!) :-)

Heading in...

Coming out...

Tasty forked horn moose on this trip. No pic as he died at sunset and was packed in the dark.

Another vote for horses. Still relatively new at using them for hunting but have done well in doing so (meaning got moose and no serious wrecks). Here's last years effort.

I completely agree with "cost" of horses for hunting. You'd better really like horses as they are year round jobs. I question having them on mornings like this when I'm out shovelling "exhaust" when its -18.
    As for real costs, for me, it runs just over $1000 per horse in hay costs alone, then comes shoeing, tack, "exhaust disposal..........aint cheap or easy, but I prefer hunting from them to any other mode of transportation.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    Another vote for horses. Still relatively new at using them for hunting but have done well in doing so (meaning got moose and no serious wrecks). Here's last years effort.

I completely agree with "cost" of horses for hunting. You'd better really like horses as they are year round jobs. I question having them on mornings like this when I'm out shovelling "exhaust" when its -18.
    As for real costs, for me, it runs just over $1000 per horse in hay costs alone, then comes shoeing, tack, "exhaust disposal..........aint cheap or easy, but I prefer hunting from them to any other mode of transportation.
    Excellent post and photos!

It's hard to dispute the possibility that all the work all year round is made up for with hunting trips of that quality..........

DAllen-
    Nice pics. How many horses do you (I assume at least one pard to take the pics!) guys hunt with? I backpack too, but horseback is my preferred way to go!

I see you are wearing a backpack - that's the tough-guy method for sure.

Is your pack horse lead tied or just dallied? FWIW, it's often a good idea to take your feet out of the stirrups when crossing streams in case the horse slips on rocks.

Hey Kenaimike,

Thanks for the tip on feet in stirrups.

Like I said, this is a learning process and the goal is to not kill the people or the horses (in that order). Actually, I was the one taking the pictures, so thats my parnter in them. Two of us hunt together, and have 3 horses, with #4 coming in the near future. We're only using panniers right now, but will be getting one decker rig this summer. By the way, that horse was tied and it was shortly after this was taken that the lesson was learned on why you shouldn't do that. No deaths (other than the moose) so all was well. As for the backpack, we were actually making this trip to bring in feed/supplies for the following week and brought the guns just in case. As luck would have it, bullwinkle came to the horses while on the trail and thought he struck gold, for a few minutes anyways. Not the first time this has happened.

If you have anymore info/advice on packing, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Well that settles it, horses are the best way to go when hunting this state. DAllen, those are really nice pics. Nice vibrant "Sony" colors...right?

northway...you're a god. Those are great numbers.

Moose...you're a godsend. Always there offerring up the shirt from your back. Speaking of weather, dodging tornadoes tonight. Guess I'll sit around the puter making worthless posts until the power goes out.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    .....As luck would have it, bullwinkle came to the horses while on the trail and thought he struck gold, for a few minutes anyways. Not the first time this has happened.......
    That's yet another benefit wrangling has.

I've never had a moose try to make love to my boat, swamp buggy, or ATV.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast