Thread: Southeast Alaska Black Bear Draw Information

Default Southeast Alaska Black Bear Draw Information

So there is no misinformation or confusion, I contacted the BOG and 2 folks at ADF&G today to get the information on the upcoming draws.

*Drawing permit hunts will begin for all of Southeast UNGUIDED non-residents beginning in the FALL of 2012. Application period will fall in the December 2011 drawing cycle.

*POW specific change, the motorized vehicle ban will now extend into October starting in 2011.

*GUIDED nonresidents do not need to apply, if they do they will be gaurenteed a tag up to the USFS allotments for guides in SE.

*RESIDENTS OF ALASKA- no drawing

Numbers of tags in addition to guide tag allotments will be determined by the appropriate local ADFG folks. On POW I have good faith in our folks, it will be interesting to see how many tags for each unit they come up with.

Happy Hunting!

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Thanks. I was originally thinking they'd be going to draw in the fall of 2011.

How about residents being reduced to 1 Black Bear annually? Any word on that?

Preference to hunters that can afford guides. Great job State of Alaska. Way to stick it to the DIY non-res hunters. Maybe I'm off base here, but that is my first gut feeling on reading this. I think it should be equal opportunity.

Residents are still allowed 2, residents have what was determined to be a negligible effect on harvest.

Jerod, you're right on IMO. Gotta hand it to the guides though they were well prepared for the meeting and got what they wanted. As I have said all along, limit tags yes but entitlement tags are a slippery slope. Let folks choose guided or unguided based on expectations and funds. Guided hunts are great for some, unguided great for others.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Residents are still allowed 2, residents have what was determined to be a negligible effect on harvest.

Jerod, you're right on IMO. Gotta hand it to the guides though they were well prepared for the meeting and got what they wanted. As I have said all along, limit tags yes but entitlement tags are a slippery slope. Let folks choose guided or unguided based on expectations and funds. Guided hunts are great for some, unguided great for others.
    +1 on that Mike..............

If I was doing it, I would start with 200 non-residents draw tags only for POW for each season, and no entitlements to know one!...let them hunt how or with who they want!... watch the resource closely, then add or take away tags as needed!...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Preference to hunters that can afford guides. Great job State of Alaska. Way to stick it to the DIY non-res hunters. Maybe I'm off base here, but that is my first gut feeling on reading this. I think it should be equal opportunity.
    +1 Jerod...I guess money does talk!

I believe the good guides cut down on wounded bear loss and sow takeing.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post

+2. I predict more to come.