Thread: fox/coyote snaring help?

Default fox/coyote snaring help?

heres the deal. this is my first year trapping fox and yotes, 3 weeks into the season and still no fur. initialy we began trapping this area in search of lynx. while we have seen sign of lynx, we have seen way more sign of fox/coyote(coyote in particular). we have ten sets out with an average of two snares per set. we only use snares.

guys, i really need some help.
    i just have no expeirence in snaring dog critters and have no idia on how to effectivly set for them. any pics of how to set for them or discriptions,tips, tricks would be greatly appriciatted.

thanks
    joe,

A couple of random thoughts...

Dont walk on their trails! Coyotes in my area will veer off if they see your foot prints in fresh snow.

Find places where the coyote trail heads through a necked down spot with a suitable anchor point. DONT use TOO much guiding. One piece of long grass hanging over the lock is usually enough.

Make sure your snares are clean and not shiny for coyotes (some folks disagree, but I think it is important)

Try to approach the snare area from behind brush or low spots that the yote wont see from his path. Dont spend a half hour getting everything perfect, the longer you are there the more scent and sign you are leaving.

Just keep trying, and pay attention to the misses. They are even more important than the catches. You may get lucky and catch a yote and think you got it figured out, but maybe it was just a dumb one. When they stop in front of the snare and turn around, you can learn what you did wrong, contaminated snare, not concealed, etc...

Generally, if they stop like 10' away and peel off on a different direction, they've seen the snare.

When the tracks lead right up to the snare and back out, they have smelled it.

Keep trying and it will start clicking, you just have to be willing to have an open mind and be persistent.

good luck.

also i forgot to mention that we have had them run around the baracades/snares and steal the bait.

If they're bypassing a snare, you have a perfect place to set a new snare. Dont touch or go near the old snare, just snare the new path(s). Are you snaring near a bait pile? If so, and the fox/yotes are hitting it, you can wait until just before some snow hits and set the living snot out of it. Set every opening that you can. When the snow comes, your tracks will be somewhat hidden...

When you say barricades, I get the impression that you are trying to guide them to a snare, coyotes "generally" are too smart for that.. hit them in the places they will already be, dont try to make them go where you want them to be...

and if they are stealing your bait, anchor it to a drag with wire (logs, downed trees etc...) So that it's not so easy to carry off.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Joe, I set on bunny trails. It seems to work for me. If I don't see a clear bunny trail, I don't bother.
    I use an 8" loop, about 5" off the ground.

And I always tie up bait.

Joe, use a 12-14" loop 12-14" off the ground. If you are using a bait pile try setting much farther back from it. The coyotes become super wary once the get close to somewhere they know you have been especially once you kill a few. If they are seeing the snares it is going to take a little more care to set snares without disturbance and well concealed naturally. Don't change anything near the snare. Walk in from the side of the coyote trail using long steps or stepping in tree wells don't set foot on the snared path. You can also brush out your tracks if they are obvious from the coyotes point of view that way once it snows they are gone. The best thing you can do is to set more snares as that way you will learn much quicker as the critters teach you. Now is a good time to get in and get snares up since the snow is a mess from dropping from trees and melting leaving good places to step. Then once it snows everything is reset. One other thing to consider, if you have a well traveled path set several snares along it that way after a catch you don't have to go in and reset. Also other coyotes will mill around a caught one. Coyotes really love to investigate snared wolves.

Take anything nooksack says as gold, he is the real deal. I do not know him but I know of him...

Tailwind, 5" off the ground is too low, you will/may catch bunnies, you may also get shoulder catches on fox which is not good, 8" is too small of a loop for coyotes IMO except in the most perfect of locations. Neck catches where the lock is centered on the top of the neck is the goal....

Joefish,

For the fox you need to be making 8-9" loops and setting the bottoms of the loop at 8", Othetrs already mentioned the Coyote size and distance.. I have found that you cant cut corners and split the difference and hope to catch both.. Pattern the specific animals trails and set for them.. fox on fox, coyote on coyote.. I am greatly reducing the fox populations in my area.. I use only snares also.. Sunday I pulled all out waiting on colder temps and consistant weather.. If you need some help, drop me a line. I can show you what I am doing, maybe it will work for you..

Hoytguy

Sorry, mine are for fox, and work great. Just my .02cents...

Warthog, you should stay off the trapping forum, you rarely have something helpful to say.

Seriously? I was genuinely wanting to be helpful..

Maybe you just didnt like my opinion...thats OK

Ya, your right.
    Wart, what is YOUR experience with trapping dogs? I think that is what the OP was asking for.
    Most of my sets are in the tightest spots on bunny trails, which makes them smaller than normal.
    I do catch bunnies sometimes, and I use them for bait, so I don't mind a bit.
    Joe, I will get pics next time I am out. The low light and warmth lately has made my camera act up.

Tail, this is what he asked:

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    this is my first year trapping fox and yotes, 3 weeks into the season and still no fur.guys, i really need some help.
    i just have no expeirence in snaring dog critters and have no idia on how to effectivly set for them. any pics of how to set for them or discriptions,tips, tricks would be greatly appriciatted.

thanks
    joe,
    I think I was accurate in my info. I would put nooksack up against any wolf trapper in the state and he seems to agree with alot of what I said. Including recommending 12-14" loop 12-14" high for coyotes.

Sorry if I ruffled you on your snaring methods, didnt mean to come off sounding condescending. But, if your snaring fox and coyotes 5" is too low, that's my opinion. I don't mention it for your benefit, I point it out for Joe's benefit. I am assuming he will take all the info and decide what works best for him.

Maybe your method is working for you, but do it long enough and I believe you will come to agree with me. Ask around, talk to snaremen whose skills you respect. Check out the ATA trapping manual. I don't know it all by any means and learn something new about snaring just about every year...

Enough said. Good luck to all.

tailwind, I have to admit, when I first read your post I too had to question your set up. Both the 5" loop and also snaring bunny trails. I wouldn't do either and I have caught a fox or two in my time. The only time I personally snare up bunny trails is when I want bunny's or am going for lynx.

joefish00000, noosack is right on for the coyote set up. For snaring fox, what I have found that works well is a 8-9" loop, 8-9" off the ground. A quick way for me when setting is make the loop the same dia as my hand and the same distance(hand) from the ground, usually gets them everytime. Go get you some #3 Bridgers and learn how to make blind trail sets. You can anchor them or use drags and they are VERY effective. Good luck!!

Trail Blazer, to clarify, I said an 8" loop, not 5" loop.

thanks for all the advise.
    im probobly going to focus moore on the coyotes due to the hoards of them who terrorize the area i trap.

Warthog, thanks for the kind words but there are more successful wolf trappers on this forum than me and many in the state. I was just trying to help out with the coyotes.

tailwind..... it's the 5 inches off the ground that doesn't make much sense, especially on hare trails. Of course I have never trapped fox since there are none down here.

Oh, ok nook. I was confused. I have never measured, so maybe I'm off by an inch or two.

Joe, here's a link for a coyote trap video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILb_ELYfB_E