Thread: Homer Spit Fishing-February

Default Homer Spit Fishing-February

I may be heading to Homer with my young kids hockey team this February. I thought it may be fun to catch a few fish off the end of the spit near the Land's End. I know in the summer it is pretty easy to catch a few bottom fish but wasn't sure if there was any of those flounder or cod there in the winter.

Is it worth throwing in a rod or are all the fished moved to deeper water for the winter?

I am going down for the same reason the first weekend in march and had the same question.
    I was wondering if the winter kings get close enough to the spit to catch and what would be the best technique?
    Good luck Yukon, are you coming down with the mustangs?

In the winter I used to catch huge dollies off the end of the spit by the harbor breakwater. We would collect candle fish that would hit the beach at night to spawn. They were deadly on the dollies.

i used to catch dollies in may, when the needlefish start to ball up . we would dig needlefish on the low tide (look for gulls and crows following the tide out... dig there) and fish them under a bobber off the beach at the harbor mouth.
    not sure what would be out there in march. i have heard of feeder kings being caught off the end of the spit, but they would certainly be "a fish of 10,000 casts".
    if the wind is blowing easterly it is gonna be REALLY cold on that beach... the kids better wear their hockey gear!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I was just thinking there may be a flounder or cod to catch by the piers. Even with a wind the spit can't me much colder than that rink is in Homer! That is a cold rink.

Snowbird, we may be heading down with the Northstar Squirt B team. There isn't much ice available in Anchorage in February so we were thinking of getting in some practice time and a few games down there. As far as I know it is just being discussed right now, nothing set in stone. I get to make the drive to Fairbanks this weekend for 4 games. Oh Joy! Fairbanks in January!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    We would collect candle fish that would hit the beach at night to spawn. They were deadly on the dollies.
    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i used to catch dollies in may, when the needlefish start to ball up . we would dig needlefish on the low tide (look for gulls and crows following the tide out... dig there)
    needlefish* not candlefish... It was like 35 years ago lol. For some reason me and my dad were under the impression you had to get them at night. We didn't realize you had to dig them, we thought they came to the beach when it was dark because of all the birds. Anyway if you had the candlefish you caught dollies, if you tried to imitate a candlefish you caught flounders

I don't even know where to begin on how I would imitate a candlefish.....in fact it sounds dangerous!