Thread: Burbot trip with pics......

Default Burbot trip with pics......

Well, as usual, the trip started off with me over sleeping, then we get to Palmer cut off and we have forgotten the beer! Back to Wasilla for beer. And we are off! Trip was great, good friends, good weather and good fish. We did great on the burbot.

5 between 35"-39"
    5 between 28"-34"
    8 between 24"-27"

Let 18 go due to to small. Cloudy with snow showers on sat and sun, woke up to -23* monday, that was a bugger day. here is some pics. Just not sure if these are BURBOT or not?????? LOLLLLL....
    Last edited by AKDSLDOG; 04-03-2007 at 22:41.

NEXT, is this a Burbot?

still not sure what they look like? ;-) ..... Me monday morning frozen with a 34" BURBOT.

And the gang........

Get off my lake,LOL!!Nice fish,yummy!

Nice, Very NIce!!! Looks a lil' chilly out there.

AKSLDOG I think your picture is in the dictonary next to the definition of "Hardcore fisherman" LOL.....

those are some nice lookin black fish...lol..j/k

very nice, personally havent had a great ice fishing year so far. Palmer you say? can you be any more specific?

ive got a few lakes with LOTS of burbot that size. Go fish burbot at night with glow stuff or set set lines. I looked long and hard and put a lot of time into finding a good burbot lake. You should do the same!

Nice fish there! I love jigging for burbot at night. Man is that a hoot. Did you catch them on set lines or did you jig for em? Ive got my own bag of tricks for burbot, but its hard to beat the glow jigs at night.

LOL to all about the j/k's, I poked fun at it too on my headlines, figured a few of you would know what I was talking about, lol....

All were caught on set lines, I have jigged for them before, both day and night and it is a blast. Night time I use glow jigs, day time I use sweedish pimples, crokidiles and kind of long jig will work. A strip of bacon fat or white belly meat from a fish, anything to "wiggle" on the end works well. never found Burbot in palmer, thats just where we had to turn around and go back to fetch the beer that was forgot at home. We go to "IFORGOTTHENAME" Lake, it's up around Glennallen. Ohnestly, it does not have a name. I meet a old timer who has since past that lived up there and he past on to me some really great fishing hot spot's in the area. It is on the map and I have never seen another sole fish this lake, nor any other sign of people even going there. Here is a discription of my set's and a pic.

1" wooden dowl rod cut into 24" length (helps to count the depth by 2ft interveles and span's the hole nicely) notch both ends, wrap with 30ft of 60lbs braided dacron, 1/2 oz egg sinker, heavy swivle snap. Then I have 3ft leaders tied up with a single hook and a loop at the other end. This makes fishing faster, usually the burbot has it to deep to dig out, so undo the snap and snap another on with bait and your done. You can retreave your hook's and leaders at the time of cleaning the fish. The reason for the 3ft leaders is, if the fish is to small to keep and the hook is buiried, just cut the line and you still have enough for along time to retie hooks to.

Setting the set: Drop line down to bottom, leave about 2ft of slack, tie a half hitch at the center of the stick, this keep's the set centered at the hole when a burby takes it. Place set across the hole and take the slack over the top of the set and make a loop across the ice, this allow's you to just walk up and know if you have a fish or not, loop still there, no fish, loop gone youv'e been hit. The other thing this does is allow's your line to stay perfectly center of the ice hole, very important when having to chip the ice hole out ( line stay's out of the way from being cut in the process). Heres a picture of a set. This one could of been set a little better, I had 2 first timers with me. :-)
    Last edited by AKDSLDOG; 04-03-2007 at 22:42.

Great pics, info, and trip! Well done, thx for sharing!

thanks for info