Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: O/B Engine lifts

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    203

    Default O/B Engine lifts

    I was wondering if anyone knew of a product (Maybe CNC or someone like it) who makes an outboard bracket that is powered electric or hydraulic that will simply raise a 225hp outboard straight up 12-14" then straight back down. This would negate the need to tilt the engine forward like you see most outboards going down the road. My thought is repowering an older sterndrive boat. I see the Armstrong brackets etc that moved a huge outboard 28" or more back. What a pain for backing, trailer mods, weight changes, etc.
    If a guy could build a super strong wood/fiberglass bracket that only set back 8" then bolted on a strong lift bracket with about a 4-6" setback. If the motor rose straight up when trailering (top position trailering, bottom position for running)If the bottom of the skeg was almost level with the bottom of a Vee hull boat in the up position no contact with the ground and no prop /skeg sticking way out back either. The front would be clear for steering controls etc. and the only tilting would be minimal to trim the ride (maybe 2-3" forward/back at the front of the cowling) A couple simple built in stops would fix that.
    Is this a practical idea to pursue or should the big brackets like Armstrong makes be the way to go? Just an idea

  2. #2
    Member pacific23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Whitesboro, Texas
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Google , JACK PLATE ...

    Oh heck , just start here >>> http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...824281b948c71e

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    203

    Default

    I have. It looks like most of the CMC or TH industries Jack plates will lift an outboard only 6". That moves the skeg up a bit. For a 225HP on the back of a big boat I was looking at a way to hit a button and go straight up almost 12". I got the idea looking at Jack plates (just couldn't remember the name).
    I may go with the 10" set back plate. I can raise the motor 6" and that should work nicely. Just curious if anyone knew of one that raised the motor higher like 10-12" or so. Thanks Pacific23.

  4. #4
    Member Sobie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    http://www.portaproducts.com/

    This is what you are looking for.

    "The Porta Hydraulic Transom Bracket goes where no bracket has gone before. Straight up and straight down. It lifts from one to five outboard motors...effortlessly...hydraulically. What makes it unique is that it lifts the motors vertically, up to 24", with setbacks of 17"-21"-26". This allows boaters more access to shallow water and unparalleled navigability. The Porta Bracket also allows the gearcase to be raised above the bottom of the boat without tilting, allows the propulsion line to remain parallel with the direction of the boat, and eliminates the need for lower unit anti-fouling paint. The Porta Bracket is constructed of rugged aircraft aluminum. It features one hydraulic cylinder per outboard, each with 5,000 lbs of lift. It's like having a setback bracket and an extreme jackplate in one dependable product with 3 times the vertical range of anything else out there. "

    Sobie2

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Perfect!

    I knew someone out there had to produce one. I'm looking at replacing my IB/OB with a 225 Honda but didn't want one of those big monstrosity floating brackets out back. If you add an armstrong type bracket/platform then tilt the motor up the back of your boat is 5' further back. It really makes the very back of your towed rig alot farther back. ie. trailer lights 5' ahead of the skeg of your outboard. It's just a rear end accident waiting to happen. This bracket would allow me to use the motor in an upright position and just raise it straight up and out. Here comes my spring project. Thank you very much Sobie.

  6. #6
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    I had a CMC Hydraulic Lift on my first boat and I loved it. Granted I only had a 90 on it, but it rated for the 250. Alaska Clean Seas at Base Camp in Deadhorse bought a used 30+ alluminum boat from the great lakes last summer. It has the Porta Hydraulic Transom Bracket on it. Its huge and impressive with twin 250 ETECs on it I believed. I heard the transome lifts perform like a dream. Amazing lift campared to the 5" or so lift you will get from CMC, but I'm sure the price is pretty chunky also compared to the CMC lift. The mechanic that works on their boats is on this forum , he might chime it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    http://www.portaproducts.com/

    This is what you are looking for.

    "The Porta Hydraulic Transom Bracket goes where no bracket has gone before. Straight up and straight down. It lifts from one to five outboard motors...effortlessly...hydraulically. What makes it unique is that it lifts the motors vertically, up to 24", with setbacks of 17"-21"-26". This allows boaters more access to shallow water and unparalleled navigability. The Porta Bracket also allows the gearcase to be raised above the bottom of the boat without tilting, allows the propulsion line to remain parallel with the direction of the boat, and eliminates the need for lower unit anti-fouling paint. The Porta Bracket is constructed of rugged aircraft aluminum. It features one hydraulic cylinder per outboard, each with 5,000 lbs of lift. It's like having a setback bracket and an extreme jackplate in one dependable product with 3 times the vertical range of anything else out there. "

    Sobie2

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    203

    Default

    The porta hydraulic lift is about $2000 for the entire package. I look at that compared to one of those big Armstrong brackets, which to me is just a huge fiberglass extension off the ass end of my boat, that costs nearly that much. For a 51# bracket and pump at nearly the same price it's appealling. Once I pull the Ford out of the boat and seal the sterndrive hole I'll re-inforce the transom with some nice angle brackets from the stringers to a large aluminum plate on the inside of the transom. Nice thing is using one switch to raise lower the motor straight up without tilting the outboard. Planning on having a large aluminum fish box built to fit in the floor where the motor used to be. A nice clean set up flush with the floor will sure give more fishing room. I'll try and post pics when I get this monster mounted. Thanks for the inputs Sobie and Chico.

  8. #8
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    The porta hydraulic lift is about $2000 for the entire package. I look at that compared to one of those big Armstrong brackets, which to me is just a huge fiberglass extension off the ass end of my boat, that costs nearly that much. For a 51# bracket and pump at nearly the same price it's appealling. Once I pull the Ford out of the boat and seal the sterndrive hole I'll re-inforce the transom with some nice angle brackets from the stringers to a large aluminum plate on the inside of the transom. Nice thing is using one switch to raise lower the motor straight up without tilting the outboard. Planning on having a large aluminum fish box built to fit in the floor where the motor used to be. A nice clean set up flush with the floor will sure give more fishing room. I'll try and post pics when I get this monster mounted. Thanks for the inputs Sobie and Chico.
    You didnt mention what size boat? One thing to consider with a Armstrong "Type" bracket is they do offer some floatation, may be a consideration when removing a IB and hanging a big OB on the back? Just a Thought..............
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Your right I forgot the stats. It's on a 26' deep vee ocean boat. Currently has a Ford inboard with a OMC 800 stern drive. I looked at the Armstrong and similar big flotation brackets. My trailer ends at the tarnsom. If I add one of those big fiberglass tubs then tilt the outboard the very back of my entire rig is almost 5' further back. I would be changing everything back.
    By closeing the sterndrive hole, removing the Ford, and adding the porta type bracket that raises the motor straight up/down I wouldn't have to tilt the motor. My center of gravity one water or on the trailer would only move a couple feet. That old OMC weighs about 3/4 of the weight 0f the 225 Honda alone not to mention the Ford V-8. The huge extension back of the boat is what I'm trying to avoid. I hope that makes sense AKGramps. Thanks for the response.

  10. #10
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    Your right I forgot the stats. It's on a 26' deep vee ocean boat. Currently has a Ford inboard with a OMC 800 stern drive. I looked at the Armstrong and similar big flotation brackets. My trailer ends at the tarnsom. If I add one of those big fiberglass tubs then tilt the outboard the very back of my entire rig is almost 5' further back. I would be changing everything back.
    By closeing the sterndrive hole, removing the Ford, and adding the porta type bracket that raises the motor straight up/down I wouldn't have to tilt the motor. My center of gravity one water or on the trailer would only move a couple feet. That old OMC weighs about 3/4 of the weight 0f the 225 Honda alone not to mention the Ford V-8. The huge extension back of the boat is what I'm trying to avoid. I hope that makes sense AKGramps. Thanks for the response.
    The porta bracket looks like a neat product, what setback would you need to clear the transom? Would you still be able to tilt the motor to clear the transom if need be? Or maybe not necessary if the motor comes up high enough.........just wondering?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    203

    Default

    They have a couple. One is 17" set back with 12" lift upwards. The other is 21" with a 24" lift upwards. They weigh 51# not bad.
    I'm ordering the 17" setback with a 12" lift. When I mount it to the back of the boat the controls will clear the transom. I will not be able to tilt the motor so I'll put stops in the tilt/trim so it isn't done inadvertantly. By putting hard stops in the system I'll be able to trim the motor a bit to get the bow up/down.
    My thinking is when I get to where I'm fishing I'll raise the motor straight up so the prop skeg are out of the water. If a fish runs around back and under things oh well.
    The only thing I'm working out in my head is a transom saver system when I'm towing. By having the engine lifted straight up I don't think I'll have the torque of a tilted motor when I hit a bump. Boy I've seen alot of cracked transoms on boats that just tilt there motors and head down the road. I'm thinking about two cleats up on the back of the boat so I can use rachet straps (one on each side) to hold the motor up. If I run another around the lower unit to a couple loops on the trailer that should immobilize the motor.
    This should be a good system for many years to come. I'll let you know when the lift plate gets here. I want to check out the quality before I mount it up.

  12. #12
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    They have a couple. One is 17" set back with 12" lift upwards. The other is 21" with a 24" lift upwards. They weigh 51# not bad.
    I'm ordering the 17" setback with a 12" lift. When I mount it to the back of the boat the controls will clear the transom. I will not be able to tilt the motor so I'll put stops in the tilt/trim so it isn't done inadvertantly. By putting hard stops in the system I'll be able to trim the motor a bit to get the bow up/down.
    My thinking is when I get to where I'm fishing I'll raise the motor straight up so the prop skeg are out of the water. If a fish runs around back and under things oh well.
    The only thing I'm working out in my head is a transom saver system when I'm towing. By having the engine lifted straight up I don't think I'll have the torque of a tilted motor when I hit a bump. Boy I've seen alot of cracked transoms on boats that just tilt there motors and head down the road. I'm thinking about two cleats up on the back of the boat so I can use rachet straps (one on each side) to hold the motor up. If I run another around the lower unit to a couple loops on the trailer that should immobilize the motor.
    This should be a good system for many years to come. I'll let you know when the lift plate gets here. I want to check out the quality before I mount it up.
    They sure look like well made units......still 17" is a pretty long lever with a 600 pound motor.......... I know they have plenty of pictures of boats using them.
    I myself would be concerned about weight and balance going from a IB to a OB with that much of a setback.
    Not to sound like a naysayer, but, can Porta Bracket (or have they already?) offer any insite on how this will effect your particular boat?
    Maybe they have already done one similar to yours.............
    You probably have run through all this already and have gotten the answers.
    I know I have payed dearly for my "boat" education, still learning.........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    On the Alaskan I used to own it had a 200 Optimax prop mounted to a Powertran jackplate with 7.5 inches of lift. Just press a button to raise, the other button to lower. Had the button mounted next to the throttle control.
    It was enough lift that I never had to tilt the motor when towing it. It cost somewhere between $750 and $900 (forgot to be honest). The 7.5 inches of lift would also permit you to install a jet without remounting the motor.

    Being able to raise the prop that inch or two while running kept me from getting stuck while my buddies were sometimes stuck in the sand.
    Tennessee

  14. #14
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    On the Alaskan I used to own it had a 200 Optimax prop mounted to a Powertran jackplate with 7.5 inches of lift. Just press a button to raise, the other button to lower. Had the button mounted next to the throttle control.
    It was enough lift that I never had to tilt the motor when towing it. It cost somewhere between $750 and $900 (forgot to be honest). The 7.5 inches of lift would also permit you to install a jet without remounting the motor.

    Being able to raise the prop that inch or two while running kept me from getting stuck while my buddies were sometimes stuck in the sand.
    Powertrans are good units, I have one on my riverboat, however I dont think Tealer is planning to put a jet on his ocean boat............?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Called there tech guy. It looks like I'm gonna be OK for weight distribution. The Ford weighs more than the Honda and that OMS 800 is a heavy old beast. I am moving 672# back about 27" while losing about 900# with the engine and drive. We plan on building a fish box out of aluminum and putting it down in the old engine hole. With the lid flush with the floor it should be great. I a big swim platform and set a huge cooler across the back so I have alot of weight back there. That weight will move forward due to fish box moving forward into the old engine space. My biggest worry was a fish box full of fish. After I talked with there tech guy I'm alot more relaxed with my project.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •