Thread: Suggested dates Juneau June-August

Default Suggested dates Juneau June-August

I'm planning my 3rd trip to Alaska this summer. Looking at Juneau again some time between June and August. I fished the first week of July in Juneau in 2010. I'm looking to do it again and want to know the best time for the greatest selection of salmon / dolly. Probably fish Echo cove area. May fish near town in Montana Creek-maybe even on Douglas Island. Need advice on what week will give the greatest variety of species. Thoughts?

Last week in July / first week in august, and you will be up to your nipples in humpies, chums and dollies.

This years forecast for humpies is very large (above 80th percentile, close to 55 million harvest), so there should be a pile of the little buggers in echo cove from july onwards.

Was also told DIPAC will finally have their first return of Taku River Broodstock Coho...

Exactly what kind of information I was hoping. I caught a fair amount of humpies at echo cove, but not as many as I was hoping for. Good to know it will pick up as the season goes. Only disappointment of the trip was the snagging at DIPAC. I managed to catch a King my first 15 minutes on a crapie rig I use in the lower 48. I'm not into the snagging thing-but would LOVE to catch a Chum. Saw thousands-hundreds of thousands, but couldn't make them bite anything. I fished at Amalga for a long time trying to catch a chum, but nothing. Saw some locals catching them on some chartreuse fly. I couldn't get any luck.

Thanks for the info-probably going to look at last week in July first week in Aug. Perfect time for leave from my job. Any advice on Chum would be appreciated.

Chum occasionally get finicky and closed-mouthed, but if you like jig-n-bobber, try small jigs in cerise or chartreuse - sometimes dead, sometimes twitched. If that doesn't work, go bobberless and swim little crappie jigs. Spoons and spinners are sort of hit-and-miss with chums as they get towards spawning, but the jigs seem to work pretty good.

For Chums you can cast pixies or small orange spinners like vibrix, They are alot of fun to catch and you can tell as soon as you get one, because when they run the line will just rattle on your pole it goes back and forth so fast it will vibrate the whole pole. Have fun.

Thanks! I was sooo frustrated at Amalga Bay. I tried on 4 different days. Thousands of chum and I couldn't get a single one to look at my baits. I didn't try what you mentioned. I was going more towards the spinner baits (flying x) and a few other things-but didn't try jigs. I'll give it a try this time. Man-I want to catch one some kinda bad-but I'm not resorting to snagging.

Default Wanna Try Trolling?

I troll in the Amalga area for chum and collect all I can handle. We have a system that is pretty deadly and we collect bright ones for a number of personal smoke houses. If you want to give that a try you are welcome to step aboard and wear your arms out. Drop me an email through the site and we can talk. ;-)

Thanks all-JKD I sent an email I think. I check this site a lot-but don't have a great working knowledge of all the email settings. Look forward to hearing from you. Chris