View Poll Results: What is your favorite Alaskan big game meat?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Moose

33 31.73%
  • Caribou

9 8.65%
  • Sheep

23 22.12%
  • Goat

2 1.92%
  • Black Bear

8 7.69%
  • Grizzly/Brown Bear (Really?)

0 0%
  • Bison

9 8.65%
  • Muskox

4 3.85%
  • Sitka Blacktail Deer

12 11.54%
  • Elk

4 3.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll:Favorite Alaskan Game Meat

Default Poll:Favorite Alaskan Game Meat

Another thread that had some surprising comments had me thinking about this. What I'd like is to know your favorite tasting big game, not what fills the freezer or has the best trophy appeal. So, if you could have a plate right now, what would it be?

Where is the Sitka Blacktail?

Angry

Well, I voted moose, but dang, sheep and goat were right on it's heels. This poll sucks, who started it?

Can I add Blacktail? Totally slipped my mind.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i love moose bou and sheep,,, but Black bear takes the cake around here, dang shame there is not more of it on a bear. course ground with bacon, stuffed roast, brats, chili, and stews... a good fatty blackie.. MMMmmmmM!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

young fat caribou is my vote, but black bear and deer are pretty close.
    don't care for bison much, tastes like beef.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Well, wife and kids like caribou best. I like all game meat. Tender and mild the best. The best I ever had was steaks given to me from a Kodiak Blacktail doe that was aged on the roof of the boat as they hunted for a week. Somehow the temps must have been perfect that year to age the meat just right so you could cut it with a fork like veal. I tried to age my caribou like that this year in the garage but cut it short worrying about spoilage and its good but not nearly as good at that particular blacktail......
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Nice fat younger bou. Then a nice prong horn chop...oh I forgot Alaska game...... Bou all the way.

Deer are my favorite with moose second I think sheep being the best is a willing suspension of disbelief. If you've packed up and down mountains packing out the meat it's better than Kobe beef but I've tried other peoples and well not so much. I tried for years to make good bou recipes the best way to eat a bou steak is beat it with a hammer and chicken fry it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

August Blacktail. The time of year can make a big difference on some of the meats listed. A fall black bear that has been eating berries is tasty, yet one who is gorging himself on salmon can be rather rank. Rut caribou vs august caribou vs winter caribou....

Looks like the poll is flawed - Sitka deer is mine.

There fixed the poll for you SE boys! Unfortunately I ran out of available options in the poll to put in Sasquatch or Glacier Bear though I hear they are tasty!

I don't see Wookie either
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Caribou Fawn is slightly better than August BlueBerry fed Mountain side Black Bear.

Mmmmmmmmmm, Milk fed Fawn, falling from the bone, salt N peppr'd..... right off the fire......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Moose is great, but my favorite is spring black bear.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    There fixed the poll for you SE boys! Unfortunately I ran out of available options in the poll to put in Sasquatch or Glacier Bear though I hear they are tasty!

OH i see a little lisa and Joe action here... any more voting places need fixed around here?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

2dawgs sent me a care package a while back via the UPS overnight froze hard as a rock method. Momma cooked a bou roast all day with taters, carrots and a little celery. It was soooo good! Can't think of a better feed in my lifetime!

Then there was the bou baloney with some bite to it. I liked it too but around 2 in the morning I let a fart that made the ceiling fan spin backwards for a while. Yes sir ree Bob and that was just the start. Momma went to the spare room and I slept with my face in my pillow! I was about half skeared to open the wood stove in the morning for blowin the place up. It takes a good hunk of baloney to work on a fella that way. I think I'll eat some more of that tonight!

Ruffed Grouse then moose followed by halibut ... I know im going outside the lines but those are my favorite

There is no question in my mind. Sheep meat. Especially ribs on a campfire right off the mountain.

I loved the moose and close 2nd early sept. bou .That's all I've tried.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast