Thread: POW alpine deer access: float-plane or logging roads?

Default POW alpine deer access: float-plane or logging roads?

Hey--

I really want to get down (from Juneau) to POW to hunt for alpine deer mid-August. My question is should I charter a float-plane from Ketchikan and fly into an alpine lake or access the alpine via logging roads? Opinions?

Thanks!

I've done both. It will all depend on where you want to hunt. The places I've flown into do not have road access anywhere near the areas.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    It will all depends on where you want to hunt.
    Methinks it may depend on budget too. Float plane time isn't cheap these days. 2 guys splitting the cost of a 185 wouldn't be too bad.

Juneau area isn't too bad, but it's a few notches below POW. 2011 will be the year me or my pard will shoot a 4x4 on Admiralty.

Only reason I was thinking POW over Admiralty was I would rather not have to deal with the brownies of Admiralty. Have you had many encounters with brownies in the alpine of Admiralty?

Their is a ton of possibilities available on the road system if you don't mind hiking.

No more deer on POW, Fullcurl killed them all. If I was you I would look into flying into the Cleveland Penn. LOTS of big bucks over there. Don't you think Dean?
    Alpine is awesome...

I'd fly into one of those bays on southern POW and hike up from sealevel ... there should be some Bucks around ... I don't think Fullcurl made it down that far yet ...

Quote Originally Posted by beauhunter View Post
    No more deer on POW, Fullcurl killed them all. If I was you I would look into flying into the Cleveland Penn. LOTS of big bucks over there. Don't you think Dean?
    I was actually thinking of giving him coordinates to your alpine areas, Beau.

I'm not sure what rental trucks go these days on POW, but it might be similar prices to fly over and hunt and to take the ferry and rent a rig for 4 or 5 days.

Probably less to Charter a 185 .... but there are not that many lakes to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by SE Alpine View Post
    Only reason I was thinking POW over Admiralty was I would rather not have to deal with the brownies of Admiralty. Have you had many encounters with brownies in the alpine of Admiralty?
    Last fly in we did on POW we used a bear bed to glass the herd of deer. He had the best view of the whole mountain. Good thing he was willing to share his vantage point.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

I am not an Alpine hunter, no time due to my fishing season but here is another option beside POW. You can get dropped off in a few of the alpine lakes on Etolin during regularly scheduled service most of the time. call Pacific Airways they can give you quotes and costs. Lots of WIDE deer on Etolin some of the wider ones killed I see are from there.

Car rentals range 80-125 per day. Might be just as cost effective to fly over from Ktn. Another option - ferry to Wrangell use Sunrise to fly you to Etolin.

Not trying to keep you from POW but Fullcurl had the big ones gone before the fed land opens.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Etolin would be my first choice, I have seen some pic's of some big bucks during elk season. Beau's hot spots would be my second choice.