Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lingcod Seward Vs Homer

Default Lingcod Seward Vs Homer

Looking to fish KP this August after changing locations for Kodiak the last few years. Got my first taste of Ling and want more.
    In the past when going for halibut, charter I was on did not target them out of Anchor Point. I'm sure I am opening up the can with who is best Homer or Seward, but let the games begin.
    Approximate dates around 9/16-9/18, where would you go for the best opportunity of big Ling with the bonus of halibut & coho.?

Went with Steve Zernia/Pro Fish n Sea out out of Seward a few years ago, had a great trip.
    Did a combo "long range" trip (go out farther; more $) for halibut/lings and had a hoot; all 6 of us landed lings in the 50+ range and the spot we were at was pretty hot, kept letting go "small" ones, out by Montague. Long boat ride but since I love boats and just being on the water, was great for me.
    The halibut fishing was good, my buddy got one that was 110 and the rest smaller with some chickens making up the limit. As a bonus, the silvers were everywhere and while we were at the chicken hole, they were swarming the boat so we all traded off with a light Avet setup and mooched silvers (limited) for everybody. Steve was great in putting in extra time so we could get the silvers so we really ended up with a silver/halibut/ling trip.
    I've not targeted lings from Homer but I'm sure someone will chime in on that. Best consistent halibut fishing year after year was out of Deep Creek was with John on Gotta Fish FYI.
    Jim
    P.S. It's been a long time goal of mine to fish with Andy Mezirow/Crackerjack from Seward, been following his progress for years, he books way early and I seem to be way late. He's also got the boats to make a long run in less than ideal conditions.
    Last edited by Big Jim; 01-03-2011 at 08:18. Reason: added info

seeing as how lingcod out of homer doesn't open until july, i would say you are headed to seward.
    end of story....
    whoops... gotta wait for the mutt to post!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Ling Cod South Central 1 July. Some times the weather can be a big factor that time of the year.

Both have good #`s but Seward is is a bit better IMO...and the silvers are hot out there at the opener. Not to mention closer to Anchorage.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

No lings out of Seward until July 1. Homer is likely got more fish and they are bigger also

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    seeing as how lingcod out of homer doesn't open until july, i would say you are headed to seward.
    end of story....
    whoops... gotta wait for the mutt to post!!!
    Same in Seward.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Looking to fish KP this August after changing locations for Kodiak the last few years. Got my first taste of Ling and want more.
    In the past when going for halibut, charter I was on did not target them out of Anchor Point. I'm sure I am opening up the can with who is best Homer or Seward, but let the games begin.
    Approximate dates around 9/16-9/18, where would you go for the best opportunity of big Ling with the bonus of halibut & coho.?
    Wow. I'm not sure where this "no lings until July 1st" thing came from when the OP states that he's planning on fishing "9/16-9/18". I was under the impression that Sept. comes after July. It does in my world. And that's WAY past the "opener" for coho, so that's not a consideration.

And of course, as usual, homerdave has to post some snotty, meaningless statement about me. And people wonder why I get so aggravated. Come on, Dave. Just answer the guy's question and don't start with the digs on me that are totally meaningless.

In my opinion, you're chances of catching lings, halibut and (especially) coho at that time of year are about even between Seward and Homer. The major factor is if the fish decide to show up. This year Homer saw a pretty miserable return of coho, all things considered. But you can also catch some nice feeder kings over on this side, which is what draws me to K-Bay. I think in Sept. this year I caught more kings than I did coho. Just one of those years.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Whoops on the date, i. Somehow read it as 6/16-6/19.... And i did that twice! My bad!!

You should be hunting in September,,,,,,fishing and weather suck in September.

Seward is closer to the sound so Seward hands down. Homer is the best place for micro-brew, hippie chicks and all the little feeder kings you can catch

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    Yeah, the fishing sucked so bad last September I wish I'd never even gone out on the 22nd and caught this dinky little 27 lb. feeder king:

27lb_king_of_the_day.jpg

Or the day before when my clients caught these kings:

3kings.jpg
    Plus a limit of halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Yeah, the fishing sucked so bad last September I wish I'd never even gone out on the 22nd and caught this dinky little 27 lb. feeder king:

27lb_king_of_the_day.jpg

Or the day before when my clients caught these kings:

3kings.jpg
    Plus a limit of halibut.
    Get the guts out of those belly burned fish and get them on ice before they poop all over your deck! No bud those are some dandys, I hope you got me penciled in for the derby

Actually Dave & Muttley my screw up in the dates. I usually fish Kodiak around that time but was going somewhere different this year. Not that it makes a difference in that Lings are open but I meant to put in dates of 8/16-8/18 August.
    Spoke with both Crackerjack & Profish n Sea and they have dates open. Any recommendations for Homer, as I then head to fish the Anchor & Deep creek for coho. Maybe I can put in a day at both.

As for taking a "Long Trip", don't you need to plan on a longer trip to get to good lings if you are going out of Homer?

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    As for taking a "Long Trip", don't you need to plan on a longer trip to get to good lings if you are going out of Homer?
    What do you consider a "long trip"? I caught this ling...

my_first_ling.jpg

a little over an hour from the harbor. Is that what you consider a "long trip" out of Homer?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    Agreed. I'll fish into the 1st week of Sept some years, but my heart certainly isn't in it! I've caught some huge halibut in Sept.

What do you consider a "long trip"? I caught this ling...

my_first_ling.jpg

a little over an hour from the harbor. Is that what you consider a "long trip" out of Homer?
    He said "good lings".

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    He said "good lings".
    Yes, 270, you are being reported to the authorities here. You're stupid jabs are not only tiresome, but counterproductive to the thread.

And I'm really sorry Col. that people seem to have to hijack threads like yours just to take "jabs" at me. I'm not sure why they continue to do it. Please don't let idiotic statements dissuade you from trying to seek good information. That ling IS a decent ling and was caught less than an hour from the Spit. A lot of charter operators will take you 2 to 3 hours and possibly catch some nicer fish, but ofter times return with either nothing or smaller fish.

The point is, you don't have to travel an inordinate amount of time to get quality fish.

. I'm not sure why they continue to do it.
    it's like fishing for grayling.... it's all about the rise.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast