Thread: new snowshoes

Default new snowshoes

My fiance bought me a pair of the aluminum/ magnesium with wire mesh snowshoes. Anyone have a report good or bad on these. I think they were designed for the armed forces. They come with bindings ready to go.

I started with those and they worked pretty good for a couple years until I broke both frames on the same trapline check. They're just a little wider, but they make a nice wide trail. The problem I had was that they really don't have any ice cleats for hills, (which can be VERY INTERESTING) and after a while the bindings that come with them tend to ice up and I was always having to retighten. After the last 2 pairs I've gone thru I will probaly go back to those but take the cleats off the others and attach to them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well since she bought them for you, i suggest you get out and wear a lot of love into them, long before you ever consider upgrading.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Read the post I made in Military Snowshoes - This actually is the same that is what you are also talking about.

"Experienced with snowshoes...or as my kid sister says...older than dirt!"

Been there and done that...I suspect I can help. I have twenty different pairs of shoes, and have experience with virtually all of them. I list the pros and cons, also what to expect...and none of it is from just reading about is from fifty years of hands on experience...using the and making/repairing them.