Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good way to start the New Year.

Default Good way to start the New Year.

1.1.11 at 11am. Still processing meat. Had to get a wrecker to pull me down from Arctic Valley last night when we got her back to the truck. Dang schnook winds made everything a sheet of ice. 1.1.11.jpg

Congrat's on the success so early in the year! That is a little weird with the date and timing...better send that meat to me to try it first...

Way to go. And, thanks for the photo. Good eating...........

Mike

Nice kill! Sure to be a tasty one.

Awesome and with a recurve! Curious what make of bow your shooting?

Black Widow.

Outstanding!, and with a Widow to boot. Black Widow sure makes them pretty. I'm primarily a Chek Mate shooter, but I have a couple gorgeous Kota's. the Prairie Swift Tim built for me has got to be the prettiest & quietest recurve I have ever seen...

Default WTG

Thanks for sharing that (+1). Too bad about the wrecker but that's a small price to pay for victory. Great job!

Good job and congrats. Way to start the year, and the automobile issue for the year out of the way too. Perfect.

Way Coool! Howz about a little story Hmmm? Spot and stalk - ambush what!!!
    Congrats.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The short story: I found fresh tracks and her bedded in thick cover with no shot and an older calf walking away. I decided the calf was old enough to take care of itself. I watched for 15-20 minutes thinking she would get up after the wind switched. She didn't budge. I figured I didn't have anything to lose so I kicked some snow, whistled, and told her that "her mother was a hamster and her father smelled of elderberries". That didn't work so I tried to get closer by stepping over dead-fall and devils club in knee deep snow. At 15 yards she had enough and stood up. Still no shot with brush between us. She turned and walked off and stopped at 30 yards behind a big spruce. I decided to "taunt her a second time" by moving forward for a possible clear shot. She decided to help me out and came back under the spruce towards me with ears back, eyes bulging and tongue lashing. That's when I remembered the conversation I had with my daughters about momma mooses. I knew I had screwed up at that point but couldn't "run away". We played the staring game at 20 yards and I blinked first. I took a couple slow steps backwards and turned sideways. She took a step forward and then sideways into the clear. I took advantage of the opportunity and she ran about 75 yards where I took the photo.

By the time we got her back to the truck the warm air iced us in. We couldn't walk or drive on the road. Two more vehicles rolled up and stopped to take a look. Now there was 5 us stuck. The MP's arrived making 6. Rigg's towing came up with chains all around and hauled us one at a time down the mountain. Heck of a day.

Good grief, sounds like you got real lucky in that deep snow she didn't attack and stomp the daylights outa ya! I bet when you let the arrow fly you were sooo glad that didn't provoke an attack!
    Thx for the story!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Too bad about the ice. They had to pull an MP off the mountain too?! Classic.

B, what are your Widow's specs, and tell me about those arrows!

Way to go, Boud'arc!!! Proud of and for you, Bud!

If your wealth is measured by what you've got in the deep freezer, then you are a rich man!
    Or, maybe by the size of your boat? LOL

Stoked for you,
    Taylor

Congrats on the trophy. A lot of good eating in the future. Yes, please tell us about the Widow, arrows and broadhead (Zwickey)?

Awsome I really cant wait to claim success with my black widow recurve, hopefully this year, great job any animal harvested with a bow is a trophy especially when its traditional

NDT, Wiso,
    60" Ironwood w/bamboo limbs PSA 58#@29". Carbon Express Heritage about 700grains. Zwickey Eskimos with 125gr steel insert and about 50grs of brass on the inside. 4" four fletched. Complete pass through with loud whack into the alders on the other side and about 5' under the snow from the blood hole entry into the snow.

Couldn't have made the shot without my Wiggy's vest. How's that Marc?

Nice mental image of her. Kind of gets your heart pumping about the time a guy realizes that she is quite possibly serious and there is not much to do about it. Good story and glad everything came out roses.
    ARR

Oh yeah, that bow & arrow combination would be deadly. I have some Zwickeys on hand from back in my youth, now days my go-to recurve broadhead is a 125 grain Magnus 2 blade in a 50 or 100 grain brass insert, depending on the arrow. Pass throughs on deer is prety much a given. Love that semi-extreme FOC!

Again, great job on that big ol' girl. All the fun starts when they hit the ground, doesn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast