Thread: Being Casted?????

Default Being Casted?????

So I am having surgery on the 18th. They are fusing my dominant wrist and I could be in a cast for up to 6 months! Has anyone ever tried fishing like this or is most of my summer gonna be shot? I wanted to start tying flies too but I figure that will pretty much be impossible with one hand huh?
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Take the butt end of your fly rod in with you when you get the cast on and have the doc fit it around the grip. My bro in law did this with his ski pole and it worked like a charm.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I spent 7 years with my right leg in a cast while it was patched back in pieces... didn't slow me down any. snowmobiling, fishing, hunting, all on crutches. I have also spent numerous weeks in hand and arm cast/braces/ splints..i have always managed to get to do what i felt i could do..

my point is.. it will only screw you if you let it.. you may well learn a few things about yourself in the process..

but i will say this... 18 years later.. i kind of wish they had just taken it off.. fusing joints leads to other issues later on.

make sure it is necessary..

i now have arthritis setting into the joints of my right leg, hips shoulders and hands.. my hips and knees, are wearing at twice the normal rate, and osteoporosis is set into my spine between my shoulders.. all due to favoring one side of my body all these years.... i am 43 in april... going on about 65 in my joints

good luck with the surgery.. don't let it stop you .. you will in-fact heal faster if your out getting exercise and fresh air..

and like mud says... have it fit for you.. but do not worry about the first one.. typically your first cast will get changed shortly after the surgery as the swelling will go down and the cast will loosen up.. in six months you will go in for several cast changes.. if you have a good ortho.. he will explain it all in detail before hand.. and as him about the fly rod too.. he'll make it happen for you..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince. Unfortunately it is necessary. I had a pin put in about 2 years ago and its not holding. It was supposed to be a temporary (5 to 10 year fix) to give me some use of my wrist after I tore 3 ligaments.

What you said goes great with my new years res, life is short do something every day! I'll get my butt out there and do it. Only my second time in a cast so not used to it lol.

AkMud... Great Idea!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I can't imagine fly tying is completely out ouf the question. If you can pinch with the bad hand I'd imagine you can tie. You might even think about getting an old automatic reel, maybe you could fish one-handed with it.

I had a cast on my dominant wrist for ten weeks, they shaped it to fit my hockey stick.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    ...I had a cast on my dominant wrist for ten weeks, they shaped it to fit my hockey stick.
    Some fly casting aid products are intended to fuse wrist action. Who knows? You might improve!
    I agree - talk with your surgeon - let him/her know your goals. Work something out.
    Good luck. (Should be a good photo too - you, 25" Rainbow and cast!)

Not a wrist, but when I blew an elbow I got by fine for a year with 2-handed rods. And yeah, some styles of single-hand casting call for a mostly rigid wrist. If the angle is right as suggested, there might even be some advantages to a fused wrist. I bet you can find "work arounds" for fly tying, too.

Had a client show up a few years ago in a cast. He broke his wrist and would not miss a trip to the Kvichak. He purchased a spey rod just because he thought he needed the extra leverage. He fish like a mad man and caught good fish. Only thing he could do was tie on his fly and net the fish, that is where good buddies come in. Dude fish on, it is not just a sport but a way of live.

Good luck with the surgery,

George

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

another thing to consider is a neoprene sleeve. I had a long booty sewed up for me to get out and about on... the new fiberglass cast are not so easily damaged by water, but still are miserable to be in when wet,

6 months is a long stretch and may well be worth the time to get something made to make life a little easier, if your playing around the water, with open fingers you wont be water proof, but you can shed 90% off.. and not have to deal with that soggy stench that comes of a wet cast.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for all the encourage guys. Can't wait to get out and try. After my first surgery I had my cast on for a lil over 4 months and I let it get the best of me and didn't get out and do jack. I swore that wasn't gonna happen again. They casted me again last Aug when the pin in my wrist shifted. Well needless to say that cast didn't make it back from the slope for our Bou trip lol. Prob a lil more important to leave it on this time but I'm sure I won't let it stop me!

Hope everyone has a GREAT time fishing this year!

i had my wrist casted a couple of years ago and when i had it done they put a gortex liner inside my cast and used a waterproof material, i could wake board, fish, and even golfed the entire time i was in the cast. you can do anything you want dont let it slow you down!