Thread: M8 or 800 RMK

Default M8 or 800 RMK

looking at these both in a 2011...
    what's your take and whats more dependable.
    don't like the ported track on the RMK, but not sure how much you really notice it...
    need some thoughts...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I wouldn't touch an RMK unless they can prove they fixed all the problems they had on the 2010. I know couple of guys who have 2010 RMK one took his back after multiple failures the other his has less than 100 miles on it and it has spent more time in the shop than on the trail. I have another friend with a M-8 and loves it no issues I think it's a 09. So I go with the m-8 because of mechanical issues from 2010 rmk's

polaris claims the 800's have been cured...but there hasn't been much snow time to prove it i don't think.
    prices are comparable....
    Master guide 212

The cat motor has been good for years. The Polaris motor...?

Hands down... Cat wins.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have Polaris sleds 600 shift and 550 IQ. Anyhow I rode my buddies m-6 that thing had some power. No regrets on my part but this year I will be looking for a m-8

get a summit 800

lol ouch.....i got one. now i need a machine to drive!
    Master guide 212

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Hands down... Cat wins.

Works on a lot of sleds when i had my own sled shop.. they all have their place and time.. but cat is still making a better machine...

I no longer own any.. but have owned some of all..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Where Mod Elan at he is full of info on sleds I do know he likes his skidoos.

Can't say much about comparing the two, but I just got an 2011 M8 and boy is that thing a lot of fun! When I jumped back on my 2001 RMK 800, the thing felt slow and heavy. Never been on the newer RMKs so I can't compare to that. Also, don't have nearly enough time on M8 to say how reliable it is.

Got a 2011 Polaris Switchback Assault. Funest sled I have ever rode, have taken it out twice for a total of 60 miles or so of just messing around, doing some of everything, breaking it in, but riding it like I would ride anything... No complaints, motor runs great and hasnt skipped a beat yet. My 2002 polaris treated me too good, so I stuck with polaris.

If you are into powder and climbing get the M-8.....if looking at some trail running, deep powder riding with a little climbing, get the Crossfire with a 136" or 144". That new 800 HO is awesome. Also the Sno Pro set up with the Fox shocks and Adjustable handle bars make it very universal.

If you are not sure which one I am talking about Big Lake has one....it's just north of their 500 Sno Pro on the sales floor, it's green.

Too bad the Polaris 800 didn't turn out like the 700. The 8s will go down, often mid throttle.

I have been kicking around a Yamaha Nytro. We had no problem with an apex out in -30 camping. We just started it and let it run for 1/2 hour before bed then tarped it TIGHT. Next morning got up and started it right up during the morning pee scramble. Back in the tent to finish brewing coffee then off to start our day. The Yamaha sipped fuel too! I can see where the battery would be a source of worry though, ironic enough we took a cig lighter charger that I could run off of my 800 cat...

I miss my 800 Cat... as much as "logic" tells me to get a Yamaha Nytro I could easily see letting a new M8 accidentally follow me home... The batteryless EFI is fantastic! They start on the second pull every time (1st sets the EFI, second fires). If it doesn't you probably have the kill switch engaged Only downfall is the fuel mileage, it is not good at all. I was able to put a REAL hitch on my 04 800 1M and I believe that it is available for the M8 as well. The kit for mine came with a tunnel reinforcement kit and worked GREAT. I hauled in bear camp and a bunch of fuel w/ no problems then when the bears proved to be soundly sleeping spent the days playing on the mountains. Try doing that w/ a tundra!

Here is camp that I hauled in w/ my 800 1M

On the way out w/ the huge otter sled loaded down. Ran like a champ!

its to late, an M8 sno pro 153" followed me home today....
    Master guide 212

Money well spent imho

got it at eagle river polaris/arctic cat. the owner siad he hasn't opened an engine on a '10 or '11 M8 yet...sounded good to me. walked outside to see what sleds where there to get worked on. only cats getting fixed were mid 90 or so models. probably a dozen polaris from '10 on back were sitting out there to get fixed and 2 cats?!...i did the math.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    its to late, an M8 sno pro 153" followed me home today....
    One of those followed me home just before Christmas. Was up at Petersville this past weekend. A foot to 16" of new snow on top of about a 3 foot base - what a hoot! That thing goes everywhere and fast. Can't wait to get it into the mountains.