Thread: Kawasaki Bayou advice

Default Kawasaki Bayou advice

Looking for a little advice. I have a Kawasaki Bayou, it is an older machine, 1993 or so with low hours. the problem is that when I put a load on it, there seems to be slippage and it won't spin all four tires in the snow. it is an axle driven, full time four wheel drive machine. any suggestions on what I should check first?

it is 3 wheel drive.
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    it is 3 wheel drive.
    lol no kidding, they names it the Bayou, but those ones were about the last wheelers you ever wanted near mud or water
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

good advice. sold that POS to the neighbor for a 100 bucks.

What oil are you using in the machine? Most automotive oils are not designed to be run in quads and will cause clutch slippage.

True that automotive oils cause clutch slippage... ESPECIALLY synthetics. Sounds to me like the clutch is slipping. I couldnt find a drive belt for that year/make of Bayou so it could be as easy as adjusting the clutch pack tighter. Or you may have to spend 10 to 50 $ putting a new clutch pack in it. Been there, Done that on a Yamaha 3 wheeler, same basic design of the "basket bird cage" that holds all the clutch plates together. It isn't too hard so long as you take your time and don't be afraid to do it over. just remember, index everything with a marking pen and take pictures often. When you go back together, use blue lock tight. I know you dont own it any more, but if your neighbor is struggling have them PM me... ill share what ever minor knowledge i have.