Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 82" Moose antlers......with story

Default 82" Moose antlers......with story

Hi everyone....

Back in 2004 the outdoor editor of the Anchorage Daily News wrote a very interesting story (with photo) of an incredible set of 82" moose antlers. The hunter took it with a bow and the details of the hunt were contraversial at best. I saved the photo (somewhere) and story and will be glad to send it to anyone who is interested. I'm not real good with a computer and don't know how to upload something like this to this site. So, if you're interested e-mail me at bill1202@tampabay.rr.com This is one for the record books!!!

Bill Hefner
    St. Petersburg, FL

Is this the story from down on the kenai?That was a good read,it was kinda funny how they were bashing that guy for spoting it from a plane first...He then still had to ride in 20+ miles on his horses and find him on the ground and connected!!Would love to se those pics again,My hats off to that guy!

Aren't you the gent that used to do the marketing for Tony Lee and Westwind Guide Service?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Is this the story from down on the kenai?That was a good read,it was kinda funny how they were bashing that guy for spoting it from a plane first...He then still had to ride in 20+ miles on his horses and find him on the ground and connected!!Would love to se those pics again,My hats off to that guy!
    Thought that guy in kenai killed his moose with a rifle just off the bench in the lowlands. I remember reading about the 80"+ moose killed with a archery gear over in the Mt. Susitna country, might be the bull Bill H. is refering to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hefner View Post
    Hi everyone....

Back in 2004 the outdoor editor of the Anchorage Daily News wrote a very interesting story (with photo) of an incredible set of 82" moose antlers. The hunter took it with a bow and the details of the hunt were contraversial at best. I saved the photo (somewhere) and story and will be glad to send it to anyone who is interested. I'm not real good with a computer and don't know how to upload something like this to this site. So, if you're interested e-mail me at bill1202@tampabay.rr.com This is one for the record books!!!

Bill Hefner
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Somebody needs to talk you through posting that story here, or posting it for you after you send it to them. Can't toss a tease about a piece of history out like that and not share it with everybody!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That bull over near Sleeping Lady was shot (I think) in the mid or late 90's.
    Tennessee

The moose you are talking about was shot in the early 90's was 102 inches .
    The taxidermy was done by Hunter and Fisher on Artic Blvd.
    It Also made pope and Young. It had two sets of brow ties

The Bull that was shot behind Mt. Susitna was 82-84" and was supposedly taken with a bow... There was alot of talk that it wasn't and had a little rifle help (which would have disqualified it from P&Y), and it may have been a "same day airborne". Those were the rumors at the time. The guy who shot it ended up sticking himself in the leg with his knife while working on it and had to be rescued. Almost died if I remember the story right. It was a hell of a Bull!!! I remember seeing the photos of that Bull in the paper.

This the bull your talking about?
    I don't know the man holding it although his name is mentioned in the story. He'll remain the man in white.

That is the one I remembered. Nice research! Do you know the date he shot it? But this hunter was not the one who cut his femoral artery, that was another incident as I remember reading that story.

102 inch wide moose?????????? Gotta see a picture of that one to believe it.
    Tennessee

Wow, and to handle all that antler mass and meat alone - my hats off to that chap!
    Thx for posting pic!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

One guy packing 4 to 500 pounds of boned out moose meat plus probably 70 to 80 pound or more antlers one mile back to his camp in one day? Not saying it can't be done but that guy is in really good shape if he could do that.

Randy Huff (the gent who shot the 82.5" bull as noted by his SCI plaque) is my father in law. He moved up to Alaska in his early 20's to pursue his passion of hunting and fishing. He met his wife, who was born and raised in Anchorage, here and they had four daughters together. When his wife finally had enough of the long winters, Randy and the family moved to Berthoud (as mentioned in the article) but he wanted to go on one last hunt before moving out of the greatest hunting state there is.

When he was flying in on this last hunt, he spotted several trophy bulls that were probably 60+ inches but the one he was after dwarfed the others in body size. I wasn't there but Randy is an honest man and I believe that shot it with his longbow. He shot strictly longbow and recurve until he was diagnosed with some sort of carpal tunnel in his draw arm a few years ago so he switched to a compound. He used to make his own arrows too (Huff and Puff) and some can still be seen floating around town. Backcountry Archery has a set of Randy's arrows in the workshop. He bought his first rifle when he moved to Colorado to shoot coyotes in the farmland.

When he lived up here he shot just about everything, including a delta bison he drew his first year as a resident, with his longbow or recurve. His "Testosterzone" (man cave) down in Berthoud is littered with four shoulder mounted caribou, his bison, numerous white tailed and mule deer, dahl sheep, mountain goat, black bear, a few African animals from Texas, a ~50 inch moose, and as of last year a 6x6 rocky mountain elk.

His 82.5" moose resides on a full body mount of a Shiras moose at the Bass Pro Shop in Denver CO with the SCI plaque beneath it. Needless to say, the rack looks ridiculously big on top of such a small bodied moose but it gives one appreciation for the true size of the creature that carried such headgear. I believe Bass Pro Shop is making molds of his rack to hang in every store (they have another set of his antlers hanging above the main entrance) and Randy is trying to get a set for himself. He, as a respectable man, sold his most prized hunting trophy to cover the mortgage for a couple months when he was out of work for a time in the 2000ís.

Now that is one heck of a moose and hunting story! Thanks for the insiders view AKfowler.

Yep, thanks for the background on that one. Bull of a lifetime there!

I'd like to see the 102" moose as well...(grin)

Thanks AKFowler, sounds like a man to look up to for sure!
    Anybody that would tackle most AK game solo has my respect!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlykiller View Post
    This the bull your talking about?
    I don't know the man holding it although his name is mentioned in the story. He'll remain the man in white.
    His name was shorty, He was a circus midget, 40 inches tall.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Thanks for sharing AKfowler....

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    I think this is that guy. I'll bet he's thinking to himself "this would make one sweet belt buckle"!
    Attached Images Attached Images

102" that is so commen up here. Should get another one next year..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast