Thread: Cabin logs

Default Cabin logs

What is a good price for cabin logs? Not wanting to clear my land of all the timber, I've decided to buy a truck load of seasoned spruce logs.

What is a ballpark figure for something like that? How much is too high in your opinion?

Thanks...

Bobble, Clean out your inbox, lol.

Tried to send you a message and you box is full. ( I think a user is allowed 50 messages unless they pay for the premium membership)

Skipper,

Thanks for the heads up...

Go ahead with the PM :-)

Bobble

I was wondering the same thing if anyone could give me a ballpark figure as well

Well I have to type the whole thing over now, lol

I bought enough logs to build a 24X32 cabin three years ago come august ( all still banded, 3 sided and are about as dryed as they can get) These are all milled the same ,each one, with the 45 chamfer cut for the caulking on the inside. This was going to be little log cabin that I always wanted, I'm still trying to figure out how to get them up, but I had a major neck surgery

I payed $5.80 a foot for them at the time from Pines Sawmill in Tok, Plus shipping, All said and done ,after the shipping and the rental of the forklift of getting them off it was around $9000,00 , which was'nt bad.

Try getting ahold of them ( Pines Sawmill in Tok) some of the best people in the state.

I might have to move out of the state next year and these logs might be for sale, but they will be $10,000 min.

Give them a call. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Skipper.

Any idea what it might be for logs with the bark still on? I'm not looking for 3-sided or logs milled in any way.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you can order logs from several of the mills.. around.. by the truck load. for about 2500 a load.. ~10 cord worth

the problem with that is you don't know what your getting.. and easy 1/3 may not be suitable for building. or more..

now.. here is something many are not aware of.. you can get a log permit fro DNR for up to like 10,000 foot of log and go cut your own in many areas of the state.. for about a 25.00 fee..

now this is labor intensive.. and you have to haul them.. or contract that out.. but you get to hand pick every log you use also.. you can insure they are similar in length, girth, and taper.. this make building a hell of a lot easier..

Rock Skipper.. Do you know if Granite MT lumber is still open? there in Delta?

i used to order all my logs from Joe and he can get you the truck loads of building logs if ordered.. this is a winter time project ( skidding logs) so you need to get on it...Joe WILL get you building logs.. as will Nick at interior lumber out by Gold hills in the Fairbanks area..

for the 3 sided.. Pines as RS stated are top notch... i don't know if George will sell log bunks in the raw.. his milled stuff is in pretty high demand.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The $25 is for firewood only. Mostly birch, not standing green spruce. Almost anywhere on the road system you have to bid/buy on a timber sale for logs good enough for house logs/timber. Almost anywhere you can drive, someone has the permit for good timber in the area. Off the road system- different story.

Vince, yes they are still going, look them up in the Delta book, or if anybody wants there # shoot me a p.m.

Thanks for the replies everyone, all good input.

When picking your own logs, what size do most prefer? I am trying to figure out that compromise between the old style, rustic look of small logs (that were used because they were easy to handle) and the pros of bigger logs (less notches, better insulation). For a 12x14 Trapper cabin, you can't go too big on your logs or it just doesn't look right.

Vince, $2500 is about what I heard as well...too bad you can't pick your own logs though.

Buy a couple truckloads and sort them out. You're going to need some firewood anyway.

Picked up a truckload today; got to sort through and hand-pick them too. They taper from 12-13" down to 6-8" over about 38' and have been seasoned for about a year or so. Building a tiny little trapping cabin, so I should be able to get two out of each log.

I have a lot of peeling to do...

How are you peeling the logs? I have built two log buildings, both using D logs. I know a few people that really like using log wizards. Myself, I love using a plain old draw knife. Lightweight, easy on the back, never runs out of gas and pretty darn fast if your doing beetle kill.

--

Jordan Wilder | Website | http://www.power-talk.net | Forum | http://forum.power-talk.net

I'm using a 13" drawknife, as cold as it is, the bark doesn't just slip right off like it does with fire killed or really green spruce in the spring, but it's not too bad.