Thread: Advice on Price of Wales DIY Black bear hunt

Default Advice on Price of Wales DIY Black bear hunt

Going to POW in the spring to hunt black bear. It's a DIY hunt so I will have little to no time to scout. I will have access to a 4X4 and a boat. Any suggestions on where to hunt on the island or what methods will produce the best chances on taking a nice bear. ie: spot and stalk, baiting, or beach hunting. Thanks.

Hey Redneck,

I wouldn't begin to try to set up a bait in a week long hunt but if you're going longet than it is worth a try. Have to register the biat with ADFG so that is another thing to consider as well. Many of the hunt clubs here do bait and are successful however.

Boat - fun way to do it, effective especially in May. Tides are ticky and you definately have to watcha nd respect your rental baot.

Car - good way as well, get to a good vantage, look for green, go hunt! Also when you find roads with a pile of scat every 20 feet those are good too for hunting the bears like a whitetail, take stand and be patient. Don't shoot on the road obviously but find an area with good vis and wait.

Lastly, I would recommend looking at photos of bears to help yourself judge a nice bear versus a dink. The biggest oops I see people do is mistake young sows without cubs for boars. If a bear looks like a rollie pollie and had VERY fluffy nice hair it is usually a small sow that looks great. Look for a bear that when you see it you say 'Holy S%#&!' That's the one you want.

Good luck you'll love the island. As with any self-guided hunt going in with realistic expectations will be the difference between a successful hunt and a stressful hunt.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

If you use a boat, when you see a bear on the beach, you will have about 15 minutes till it will probably go back in the bush, you have to get ashore where the bear cannot hear or see you, then stalk up as fast as possible to get the shot. A lot of the larger islands around POW have bears on them. There are a lot of logging roads to walk. On the outer islands, look for the log skids down into the water, that will be the start of the logging road that will connect to all the roads on the Island. Watch the tides, you might be high and dry when you get back to the boat, it is best if you do not know the best place to park your boat to leave someone on the boat to tend the tide. Some hunters use a canoe or inflatable to go ashore, anchor the main boat off shore in deeper water. Wear a life jacket, ammo, and a pack will take you to the bottom. Wear knee boots to wade on the beach, study the bear a lot before shooting, there are some big bears on POW. You can also drive the high roads, go to the blocked roads and walk out and call the clear cuts. Good luck.

POW isn’t what it once was, however here still are monster bear there, my buddy’s daughter wacked a 7’10’’ with a 22” skull last spring!...15 year ago it was prolly the best black bear hunting on the planet, as far as shear numbers and size…there were many nights that we saw over 20 bears on the beach!.......

So…..hunt the beaches with a boat, hunt till dark …best time is 6:30pm to dark!...when most hunters were coming in, we were heading out!....hint

Stay off the main road system if you’re hunting via truck, I’ve heard good things about hunting the bays by boat on the East side of the island south of Hollis….hint

Stay waayyyy back in your boat and glass the beach, when you see a bear, if it don’t look big move on…don’t waste time on smaller bears if your looking for Mr. Big, your time is limited in the witching hour, or bear-thirty 6:30-dark…..If the wind it’s right or anything else. Don’t make the stock!....if not bothered he will be there the next day…trust me…if you blow out a hog, he won’t be back on the beach for a week or maybe the next year! If ya see a big bear on the beach from way back slowly idle your boat into shore aways and down wind from the bear, make your stock up the beach to him, if ya need to get into the timber for cover and make your stock into range!

Good luck, you will have a great time, and hopefully get one of the POW hogs!

As a side note, there’s good Steelhead fishing that time of year also!

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the great info. I will be sure to use it.

as a side note ....

starting spring 2012 all SE Black bear will go to draw for the non-resident hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    as a side note ....

starting spring 2012 all SE Black bear will go to draw for the non-resident hunter.
    Thats a good deal as I see.As stated above POW was great bear country just a few years ago but over hunted by the outside due to low cost.When Alaska black bear is a cheaper hunt than Texas whitetails something has to change
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Draw

Hey John,

Does the october closure start in 2011? I have tried to find info on the F&G website but it is the same press release from the meeting.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

When will you be going?....end of April...May?

I was under the impression that the draw hunts for out of state residents don't start until Fall of 2012.

Me too Redneck, that's why I am looking for additional info. John may have it he is usually up to snuff on these sorts of things. It would be weird to start it in the spring of 2012 when the Reg Year starts in July. I could be wrong though if that's the case I have 2 groups for 2012 I have to call. Either way F&G or the BOG hasn't put up good info as far as I can search.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    as a side note ....

What'd I say a few years back?...go with a draw only for non-resident, and I got all the crap over it for saying it!.....go figure

Why is this stuff so hard for some folks....I saw it coming ten years ago, the devastation the POW bears that is!

The September / October road closure will be for the fall 2011 season. I believe it will sunset after that.

And I could be wrong about the spring '12 going draw. It is correct that that season starts Sept 1st 2011. I don't know if ADF&G has even worked / figured out that stuff yet. I think Boyd told me he was going to start working on it in Jan. There is any number of ways it could go.

And Dave ... a lot of people saw it coming ten years ago. But the State has never managed Black Bear for a trophy hunt. In other areas of the State they are loosening up Black Bear regs like no closed season and 3 Bear limit, sale of Bear hides and parts.

Johnnie....I heard than you are moving back south????

First I'll go be a resident of Hollis again .....

Johnnie,
    Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean when you say the Sept/Oct road closure will be for the fall 2011 season?

I think they call it a controlled use area. It's in the reg book. It was just September now (I'm pretty sure) it's be October also.

I just read the release from the BOG and they stated that the non-resident black bear draws will go into affect the 2012-2013 season which indicates to me that it will start July 1, 2012. I agree it was definitely a challenge trying to find good solid information on the reg other than their November release. If anyone has any definite info on this send it my way I would appreciate it.