Thread: Lookie What I Bought...

Default Lookie What I Bought...

I believe this is my new .425 Westley-Richards. Now before anyone has a fit, NO I do not buy collectibles and chop them. I personally detest that. This will depend entirely on the condition of the barrel; if it doesn't shoot, I send the action to a custom 'smith with international credentials for a classic English rifle build. It will most definitely not be a bubba-gun.
    1936 mauser receiver.jpg
    1936 mauser left.jpg
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Nice find. Who does your work when you send it out?

I don't know much about the 425 W-R - is it on the same order as a 404 Jeffery, length wise?

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Nice find. Who does your work when you send it out?

I don't know much about the 425 W-R - is it on the same order as a 404 Jeffery, length wise?
    Interesting question you ask. The cases are in all respects, almost identical except for base diameter (the W-R is rebated, the Jeff is not), and a degree or so on the shoulder. You can neck up the Jeff for a .425 bullet and go shoot them. The early English had no problems with copying someone else's work and naming it their own. W-R came out before the Jeff.

I will have Dan Pederson of http://www.cutrifle.com/ do the work. He has an original .425 to work off, and he's told me he's built several in the past few years for people looking for something different. He does work from straight working guns to showpieces, and if he can't do it, he's connected to enough custom gunsmiths there in Prescott to get whatever you desire done. I'm not going for a plain-jane working rifle, I want this one to look like I just ordered it out of W-R's 1910 catalog...with a few additions.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Fun rifle that will handle most chores well
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

See if you can talk Pederson into getting Sterling Davenport to come out of retirement. He is the most talented out of the makers in that area.
    You have to look him up to figure out why and boy then you will figure out why. Get best quality English Walnut blank from ACG website. This is a mess but it is doable and you will figure out why. No. I haven't done it. However, I do have a Swedish Husky FN that I probably will have David Christman do and then a Gew model 98 DWM that has been sporterized weatherby style with a very nice Fajen Aristocrat stock that I probably will seek to have redone in a more classic sporter pattern.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I like your idea, but don't have $10k to drop on this. I plan on buying a nice piece of bastogne from Cecil Freddi, make the floorplate myself, and have Dan do the rest. As for the stock, I have blueprints for a wonderful stock designed around 1930 for the 1903 Springfield, but could be inletted for the mauser very easily. Then too, I have a Husky 9.3 x 62 that handles like a dream; this stock, were I to have it copied, would work very well too.