Thread: Remote fishing pointers??

Angry Remote fishing pointers??

Hey hard water fishing experts,

I realize that it is silly to give away local honey holes due to the fishing pressure on easy access lakes so I am not asking for that.
    My son is 2 1/2 and a fishing nut! He can get bored if there aren't fish coming up that hole. He doesn't care how big they are. Last week he realed up an 8 incher and you would have thought it was some kind of a trophy. Wow dad dats a big fish he screamed. Went out for a pee break and he was attracking ice huts and scaring away fish. Guess size is relative when camparing to the 4 inchers we had been catching
    Anyway, I just started ice fishing again after a 20 year break. I thought that I better get it figured out so I can teach him the ropes.
    I have been enjoying many of the local lakes but lately I have been thinking about stretching out in search for the big boys.
    I have an airplane and spent some time exploring last year. Hewitt, alexander, sucker, figure 8, are among the list of remote lakes I tried last year. I had fun chasing pike but would like to find some rainbows and lakers.
    If anyone has any fishing secrets from off the beaten path (ski plane access) that they are willing to share, shoot me a PM and I would really apreciate any pointers. Seems like looking for a needle in a hay stack sometimes. Alaska is amazing and huge. When you do decide to try and new spot your drilling an 8" hole on a 400 acre lake. I just finally picked up a power auger so drilling more test holes is possible now. I'm not asking for your private honey hole out in front of your cabin but if you have had success and don't mind sharing, I would love to try it out. Thanks.

If you have an airplane why don't you fly somewhere good? Shoot, it's not that hard to find some good places to fish. You mentioned some of them.

Google some lakes you find on a map and get some information about them and go give them a shot.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks for the advice. I have been doing just that and with limited success. It's fun trying new spots but hoped I could narrow my search a little. I have a few new lakes in mind for this winter and just wanted to add a couple to the list hopefully with some pointers on how to fish them

Thanks

get a good fish finder an try JUD lake behind MT SUE, head waters of the TAL look around for the drop off's, you should do OK not much pressure an it takes a long snow machine ride to get there an salmon run to the lake I think good luck

Hey thanks, I will try it out and let you know how it goes. I was on my way out to trinity lake and hiline lake last year and I wanted to try a few spots out that direction. I packed up and chickened out. I could not find any info and I got intimidated with the size of the lakes and no idea where to start. I ended up trying a few others for pike that day instead.
    Thanks for the tip.

I would think ADFG could give you some really good information on remote lakes. I know a lot of the biologist are 'keyed' in on what types/population of fish inhabit some of the more remote lakes. I pretty much stick to the road system. The Kenai Wildlife Refuge has quite a few lakes to choose from. Once you enter the wilderness area, you aren't allowed to use a motorized ice auger. So many of these lakes are not really fished during the winter. It's just a lot of work to 'manually' drill through the ice. Good luck!